Arizona State looks toward next year | The Boneyard

Arizona State looks toward next year

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...u-womens-basketball-replacing-posts/99565574/

Arizona State women's basketball coach Charli Turner Thorne is not even pretending that the mark left by a three-point loss to South Carolina in the NCAA Tournament is going away anytime soon.

In a way, she doesn't want the anguish of the "most emotional locker room I've ever had" to fade. Because that memory, if used correctly, will be fuel for ASU's eight returning players, all still with two or three years of eligibility remaining. The Sun Devils will have no seniors in 2017-18 when they must absorb the loss of forwards Sophie Brunner and Kelsey Moos and center Quinn Dornstauder, who won 98 games in their four-year careers.​

Ekmark's potential role is also discussed at some length:

Courtney Ekmark, a 6-0 guard-forward transfer from Connecticut, could wind up playing in Brunner's spot where she would be difficult to defend. Eva Rubin, a 6-5 incoming freshman, will at minimum have a defensive and rebounding role like what was asked of Brunner and Moos as starters in 2013-14.

"Eva is a true center and definitely able to play right away," Turner Thorne said. "We want her to anchor our defense. Courtney is just a phenomenal leader. Before she went to UConn, she had lost three games (at Phoenix St. Mary's High School) in her life. She understood that culture even before she got there. She's also one of the most competitive people, and the leadership she's going to give this very young team is going to be crucial."​

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
In the last 10 years or so I dont think any player on ASU has averaged more than 14ppg. So losing seniors, has really never been a problem as there is no dominant player to lose, as a Plum to UW would be. CTT finds a way to put square pegs into round holes and make them work out to be a respectable team. The thing that I thought was a bit surprising was how much time she gave to freshman Reili Richardson(another player from OC) as the pg., I was impressed with her in many games as that is a big step up from HS ball..
She also gave good minutes to Robbi Ryan. She now has two good sophomores, and Ekmark to build around for the next couple of years.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I watched on television this weekend a recruit from California, I don't remember her name, play in her high school state championship game. She should be some help next season. She is a big girl.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
In the last 10 years or so I dont think any player on ASU has averaged more than 14ppg. So losing seniors, has really never been a problem as there is no dominant player to lose, as a Plum to UW would be. CTT finds a way to put square pegs into round holes and make them work out to be a respectable team. The thing that I thought was a bit surprising was how much time she gave to freshman Reili Richardson(another player from OC) as the pg., I was impressed with her in many games as that is a big step up from HS ball..
She also gave good minutes to Robbi Ryan. She now has two good sophomores, and Ekmark to build around for the next couple of years.
I do think that the combined interior presence of Dornstauder, Brunner, and Moos will be very difficult to replace in one year. I'm a bit surprised to see the article say that Ekmark could fulfill Brunner's role (essentially as the 4). I think of Ekmark as more of a 2 or 3. I know nothing about this recruit Eva Rubin, but not many players, and even fewer post players, easily make the transition from high school to college in their first year.

I think Reili Richardson has a particularly bright future. She has great length on the perimeter and generally good instincts. And I love her temperament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom