Arizona having a great 2023 recruiting year | The Boneyard

Arizona having a great 2023 recruiting year

Reaction Score
3 big signs for the 2023 class including Jada Williams and Breya Cunningham. They look to be maybe top 4 in a few years:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
The rise of Arizona would excite me more if the PAC-12 wasn’t falling apart before our eyes. I enjoy that league as far as WBB. It’ll be interesting to see what becomes of it with the Big 10 intentional about becoming a national conference.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
The rise of Arizona would excite me more if the PAC-12 wasn’t falling apart before our eyes. I enjoy that league as far as WBB. It’ll be interesting to see what becomes of it with the Big 10 intentional about becoming a national conference.
Maybe Williams was about as excited to have a six-hour flight to go to Happy Valley in January as I would be. Believe it or not, there are a lot of constituencies at UCLA who are extremely pissed about the move to the Big Ten, including a lot of recruits, commits, and current student-athletes.

And regardless of what happens to the Pac-12, Arizona's rise is a pretty big deal, assuming Adia can integrate all her new pieces going forward better than she was able to last season. To me the biggest question mark is continuity across recruiting generations - thus far Arizona's success is essentially coterminous with with presence of Aari McDonald. The next two seasons, with top recruits, will be the test of whether Arizona's rise was a fluke or a trend.

Reaction Score
Maybe Williams was about as excited to have a six-hour flight to go to Happy Valley in January as I would be. Believe it or not, there are a lot of constituencies at UCLA who are extremely pissed about the move to the Big Ten, including a lot of recruits, commits, and current student-athletes.

And regardless of what happens to the Pac-12, Arizona's rise is a pretty big deal, assuming Adia can integrate all her new pieces going forward better than she was able to last season. To me the biggest question mark is continuity across recruiting generations - thus far Arizona's success is essentially coterminous with with presence of Aari McDonald. The next two seasons, with top recruits, will be the test of whether Arizona's rise was a fluke or a trend.
I liked the post. Don't see coterminous used very often.

Reaction Score
It all occurred within the span of a year but long gone are the days of commitment in college sports.

Reaction Score

Agree, 100%.

I don't know what I want or how it can be attained, but IMO, college sports are ruined forever.

Reaction Score
It all occurred within the span of a year but long gone are the days of commitment in college sports.
Can't put all of this onto college sports from my view. What has been happening on the HS/AAU level has had some impact on this as well. The concept of commitment and loyalty went out the window there too.

Transfers happen regularly in high school and club ball. All for "better exposure opportunities" is usually the reason. But in the end is it?

I've personally seen high school players transfer 3 times during their career, but their prospects haven't improved. I've seen others eschew good D1 offers end up going the junior college route because they aimed too high, with no guarantees they get a D1 offer again. Families are listening to coaches, evaluators, and recruiting services who are charging insane fees to get this great "advice".

People have found ways to make money off of the sport at all levels now. It's not going away, however the NCAA is only part of the problem.

Reaction Score
Arizona putting together a nice roster of talent. I hope that it pays off for them long term.

Reaction Score
They are one of the teams I am most looking forward to seeing next year.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Todays newspaper article pointed out that many of the team members have been competing internationally and she is working with the school leadership to get an exemption from school rules so she can compete in something with team Canada,

The article also pointed out Adia's increasing involvement with the USA coaching pool.

Reaction Score
Todays newspaper article pointed out that many of the team members have been competing internationally and she is working with the school leadership to get an exemption from school rules so she can compete in something with team Canada,

The article also pointed out Adia's increasing involvement with the USA coaching pool.

Is this Coach Barnes or someone on the team you're referring to? First thought was Pellington with the World Cup just around the corner.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Is this Coach Barnes or someone on the team you're referring to? First thought was Pellington with the World Cup just around the corner.
yes, Pellington. I had typed it, had a glitch, and didn't recheck.

Arizona rules say that, as an international student, she can only do a certain amount of work remotely, this will exceed it.

Reaction Score
yes, Pellington. I had typed it, had a glitch, and didn't recheck.

Arizona rules say that, as an international student, she can only do a certain amount of work remotely, this will exceed it.
Thanks. It's always interesting to learn some of the challenges of being an international student and competing for your country when attending a NCAA school. I wonder if this will be the same for others considering playing for Canada in September.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Thanks. It's always interesting to learn some of the challenges of being an international student and competing for your country when attending a NCAA school. I wonder if this will be the same for others considering playing for Canada in September.
Good thought.

And just to clarify - my post really did turn to gobblygook when it glitched - Adia is the one working to clear the way for Pellington to compete.

Reaction Score
Not on the subject of recruiting -NAU Lumberjacks travel to the old Pueblo November 10 in the second of a home and home series

Barnes brought her squad up to Flagstaff last December. Real classy move by Barnes and U of A to support Payne's program. As I recall U of A scored the first 22 points in the game on route to an 82-55.

In a bit of trivia the leading scorer for the kitties in the Dec 17th game was Aaronette Vonleh with 17 points.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
In a bit of trivia the leading scorer for the kitties in the Dec 17th game was Aaronette Vonleh with 17 points.
I think they'll be okay without Vonleh. They did steal ASU's leading scorer. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom