Arizona Game Preview | The Boneyard

Arizona Game Preview

Reaction Score
Arizona at UConn
Location- XL Center
Time- 1pm EST on December 2nd, 2018

Arizona
2018-19 Record- (5-2, notable games include a win against Iowa State (71-66 Box Score) and losses against Gonzaga (91-74 Box Score) and Auburn (73-57 Box Score))
Team Stats through 7 games
79 Points per game, 66.7 Points allowed per game, +2.14 Rebound Differential per game, 12 Assists per game, 11 Turnovers per game, 45.9% FG, 31.7% 3PFG, 74.5% FT

Key Players to Watch

Brandon Randolph- Randolph is a 6'6 sophomore guard who leads the Wildcats in scoring at 16.9 PPG on 51.9% from the field. He is an explosive athlete and he can really score the ball. He has struggled from 3 this year and is a career 31.2% shooter from 3 point range. However, he was a good shooter in high school and is capable of really heating up from 3 (5-8 from 3 against Auburn) to go along with his great efficiency inside the arc (66% from 2 on the year). His size and athleticism at the guard position could cause problems defensively for our relatively small guards. He is a streaky scorer with questionable shot selection but he certainly has the ability to take over a game if he heats up.

Justin Coleman- Justin Coleman is a 5'10 grad transfer guard who made the Maui Invitational All-Tournament team. Coleman averaged 20.7 points and 3 assists per game on 57% shooting and really impressed me in the second half of their game against Iowa State where he helped lead the Wildcats to a comeback victory. He also made 14 of 24 3 pointers throughout the tournament and proved himself to be a threat from beyond the arc. He is an undersized guard who can put points on the board against the best of them, including Gonzaga, who he scored a season high 28 points against. His matchup with Alterique should be very fun to watch, I am taking our guy to outplay him though.

Chase Jeter- Jeter is a 6'10 forward and was a McDonald's All American in 2015. He hasn't been as successful as many anticipated throughout his college career and this is his first season playing in Arizona after transferring from Duke following the 2016-17 season. Through 7 games Jeter is averaging 12.4 points and 7.6 rebounds in 23.7 minutes per game. He is their most formidable frontcourt threat and should be a tough matchup for our big men. During the 3 games in Maui, Jeter averaged 9 points and 7.3 rebounds per game in 26.7 minutes. He had some foul trouble against the talent in Maui, fouling out of the Gonzaga game and having 4 fouls in the other 2 games. If we can get Jeter in foul trouble early it will bode well for us due to their lack of great depth.

Game Overview- Arizona certainly has some talent on their roster and their two losses have come to very good teams in Gonzaga and Auburn. They will be a great test for our team and our defense will really need to tighten up and turn them over to win. If we can turn them over the same way Auburn did (19 turnovers) then I think we will have an edge over them. Both teams are led by talented backcourts and one person I did not include in my players to watch is their 3rd guard, Brandon Williams. Williams is a very talented freshman who leads the team in assists and is a threat to put up 15+ if he heats up. Their bench did not impress me in Maui and despite a solid performance from the bench against Georgia Southern, I think our depth will help us win this game.

Prediction- IIRC following the Iowa game Jalen texted Hurley and said something about how he got started too late and I think this was in part due to playing such an emotionally draining game the night before. Jalen should start this game with some fire and want to prove himself against a talented Arizona team. I think he will notch his 3rd 20 point game of the year and continue with his efficient scoring. The home court advantage and early start time will hurt the Wildcats and the Huskies take the win 89-82.

Reaction Score
Too bad we can’t get Kofi or precious there. Too far away I assume

Reaction Score
I live in Arizona, and the writers have a lot of respect for UConn and their tradition. I think Arizona is good, but I like UConn in this one. 11am start for the Arizona guys, their time, and traveling cross country. UConn is the quicker team, and our guards will be the difference. Go UConn! it kills me I can't go to any games this year. I come home for Christmas time every year, and usually they have a home game around Christmas and New Year, but this year.

Reaction Score
Arizona was actually the quicker team in this game, I was wrong. They beat us off the dribble way to much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom