OT: Arizona Blueblood? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Arizona Blueblood?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And kids weren't going to Kentucky because it was Kentucky pre-squid.
The thing is, Kentucky still was getting tons of talent - they just didn't have a coach good enough to do anything with it.

Being a "blue blood" certainly helps attract talent (IU excluded...not sure why they're considered to be at that level anyway), but you still need a good coach to be able to win something (see Roy Williams taking Matt Doherty's roster and turning them into champions).

Reaction Score
The thing is, Kentucky still was getting tons of talent - they just didn't have a coach good enough to do anything with it.

Being a "blue blood" certainly helps attract talent (IU excluded...not sure why they're considered to be at that level anyway), but you still need a good coach to be able to win something (see Roy Williams taking Matt Doherty's roster and turning them into champions).

Tubby Smith wasn't a good coach?

Reaction Score
Ask Notre Dame football how their "blue blood" status has worked with their coach's recruiting in the past 20 years... :D

ND still gets recruits even though they have sucked for years. I'm not saying that being considered a blue blood guarantees success. What I am saying is that being regarded as one of the traditional powers in a sport makes the job a destination job and makes the school one that is considered by lots of kids. I think UConn is really, really close, but I don't think they are quite there yet. I do think that there is a decent chance that they get there by the time Calhoun retires. UConn has been a great program and had a ton of success and put a ton of kids in the NBA for awhile now. I think they're in good shape.

Reaction Score
ND still gets recruits even though they have sucked for years. I'm not saying that being considered a blue blood guarantees success. What I am saying is that being regarded as one of the traditional powers in a sport makes the job a destination job and makes the school one that is considered by lots of kids. I think UConn is really, really close, but I don't think they are quite there yet. I do think that there is a decent chance that they get there by the time Calhoun retires. UConn has been a great program and had a ton of success and put a ton of kids in the NBA for awhile now. I think they're in good shape.

I don't know if I'd say though that a blue blood program weighs more than a coach does. It doesn't explain how great recruits go to mediocre programs - like Memphis when Cal was there and Texas with Rick Barnes.

Reaction Score
No one has said that being a blue blood is more important than having a great coach. It just helps.

Reaction Score
UCONN has reached blue blood status. No debate there. 3 National Championships (recent ones at that) gets you in the door. 1 National championship, not so much. "Tradition" in the 1950's without much to show for just makes you spectators behind the velvet chord to the Blue Blood VIP room. :)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I get the feeling that UConn has never been "cooler" in the eyes of recruits than they are right now. Thanks to Kemba, Lamb and now AD. If JC coaches a few more years while KO becomes more and more known out on the trail I think the transition will be a success.

Reaction Score
I get the feeling that UConn has never been "cooler" in the eyes of recruits than they are right now. Thanks to Kemba, Lamb and now AD. If JC coaches a few more years while KO becomes more and more known out on the trail I think the transition will be a success.

Definitely. I think that Pitt game in the BET really helped us out. When I was watching it here in Cincinnati, a few people at the campus bar were arbitrarily rooting for UConn because "Kemba Walker is the " according to them. They didn't like UConn per se, but they loved the player Kemba was. He was instant cool factor. With UConn's clutch performances at the end of the season, you definitely can say that UConn is a cool school to attend.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
Do UConn's NIT appearances hurt our status, though? I can't remember the last time Duke went to the NIT. Was it 1995?

Reaction Score
Do UConn's NIT appearances hurt our status, though? I can't remember the last time Duke went to the NIT. Was it 1995?

I think they give us the appearance of a blue collar team. We may not always have the horses to be up top, but when we do, we're a force to be reckoned with.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Definitely. I think that Pitt game in the BET really helped us out. When I was watching it here in Cincinnati, a few people at the campus bar were arbitrarily rooting for UConn because "Kemba Walker is the " according to them. They didn't like UConn per se, but they loved the player Kemba was. He was instant cool factor. With UConn's clutch performances at the end of the season, you definitely can say that UConn is a cool school to attend.

How could someone not like Kemba? The unquestioned, incredibly charismatic, other-worldly-talented leader of young team proving everybody (except Jay Bilas and Jay Williams, apparently) wrong one big game after another.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

Duke went to the NIT in 1980 ... they've only missed the NCAA tournament once since the 83-84 season (1995).

UNC has been to two NITs in the past decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom