Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
1 minute to Geno!!!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yeah, what's going on? I am trying to watch on Hoopstreams...

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I see the CPTV logo on screen, but that's it..............black screen. I was watching the tail end of their 7:00 program, and everything was working just fine.

Are you guys watching the TV broadcast or HoopStreams feed? I'm watching HS

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
:( Ugh. Seriously? This is not a good omen for CPTVs broadcasting this season.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Same here, PBS was streaming when I logged in about 10 minutes before the Geno Show. As soon as 8 PM came screen went black. Not starting the year off good that's for sure.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
I see the CPTV logo on screen, but that's it..............

I watched the news on CPTV (on my computer); then the screen went black; and now I have an all white screen with various CPTV Logos etc.

BUT NO GENO SHOW.

Is anyone getting the broadcast?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno is hilarious

Geno thinks KML is a great, great basketball player

Geno thinks Stef will be the 2nd best center in the country and could not say enough good things about her; a lot of the offense will run through Stef b/c she's the best passer and she can score

He's still looking for consistency from the other big kids and Brianna

The team is shooting lights out and Kelly has been the best shooter (yes, he said that)

Bria is getting on his nerves

KML is the new Eddie Haskell

He sounded pretty upbeat about the team, but thinks they're smallish

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
RECAP

1. Geno is really, REALLY high on KML. I have never heard him gush about a freshman like that before, in so much detail. (He actually said she is better than advertised.) Others with more experience following GA can chime in.
2. He is also very high on Stef and where she is. The offense is mostly built around her this year.
3. BBanks has been inconsistent but she was not called out for this as much as the "3 Forwards" were. He said that the 3 forwards have just not brought much consistency from practice to practice at all. Someone needs to step up. (He did say that their defense was ahead of their offense, which to my way of thinking is better than the other way 'round. We will need D and rebounding out of them more than anything else.)
4.Geno said that KML "never, EVER gets tired out there." However, after 15 mins, Stokes and Banks 'need oxygen'. Sounds to me like KML's off-season workouts were no joke! The rest of the frosh simply need to get used to the intensity and pace of UCONN basketball. They will get it in time, as they are pretty decent athletes to start with.
5. Geno said twice that BBanks is probably the fastest player he has ever had at UCONN. Just unbelievable speed.
6. Said Tiff is playing great and is not falling. Argued that there is a strong correlation between the two :D

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Also,

Kelly smiled very briefly the other day and Geno caught her in the act

Geno told Tiffany that if she continued to fall down they could lose; she's not falling nearly as much

Stef is he happiest kid in America, great personality and great teammate

Banks reminds him a little bit of KJ

Geno really likes Griner and she (and Danielle Robinson) went over to his Uncle's while in Italy; She loved the cheese, sausage, bread, etc. She told Geno that there's a good restaurant in Waco and Geno said something like "yeah, I've been to the Waffle House." Funny.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Also,

Kelly smiled very briefly the other day and Geno caught her in the act

Geno told Tiffany that if she continued to fall down they could lose; she's not falling nearly as much

Stef is he happiest kid in America, great personality and great teammate

Banks reminds him a little bit of KJ

Geno really likes Griner and she (and Danielle Robinson) went over to his Uncle's while in Italy; She loved the cheese, sausage, bread, etc. She told Geno that there's a good restaurant in Waco and Geno said something like "yeah, I've been to the Waffle House." Funny.

He was in classic Geno form tonight ....!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Gotta say it Geno was very entertaining and he had me laughing. I had a question which was Tina faired very well againest Griner, how do you feel Stef will fair againest Griner? They didnt allow it because they didnt want any more talk about Griner. One question was enough

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno talked about the ND loss briefly and took responsibility for trying too hard early in the game to get Maya shots to make sure she got off to a good start. He said that it caused the other players to focus too much on that and not enough on taking shots themselves and running their normal offense. I thought that was an interesting comment by Geno.

Geno said that pressing will never win a national championship b/c teams in March are too good to be pressed; UConn has never won a national championship by pressing; the team will be able to do some different things defensively but it didn't sound like Geno is planning a lot of full court pressing

Style of play gets teams to the NCAA regionals and then it's what 2 players are going to take over and get the team to the FF and then which 2 players are going to take over and win a national championship. In the past he knew who those players would be (Renee, Tina, Maya); he's not sure yet who the players could be on this year's team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We have Kaleena, and they don't!

Doug Bruno would love her "innards."

Reaction Score
Same for me except I restarted the process and the show returned.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Geno talked about the ND loss briefly and took responsibility for trying too hard early in the game to get Maya shots to make sure she got off to a good start. He said that it caused the other players to focus too much on that and not enough on taking shots themselves and running their normal offense. I thought that was an interesting comment by Geno.

IIRC he did not say that BB was "probably" the fastest player
ever at UConn. He said (in a declarative sentence) that Banks
"is the fastest player ever to play at UConn."

And he added that she is a much better shooter than he thought she would be.

He also said that "since October 15, Kelly has been the best shooter on the team."

Whoopee for that possibility! If Kelly can provide that kind of scoring punch all
year, Uconn will be a very good team. (No more 4 on 5 basketball when Kelly is on the floor.) That will make it hard to double team anyone.

I think this is going to be a very fun year to be a Husky Fan.

Reaction Score
It appears Geno also made or is still making the mistake of underrating Maya's ability as a play maker as well.

Geno said that pressing will never win a national championship b/c teams in March are too good to be pressed; UConn has never won a national championship by pressing; the team will be able to do some different things defensively but it didn't sound like Geno is planning a lot of full court pressing
This kind of confirms something I suspected. That Geno had learned through the years that his teams played better defense once he gave up pressing to the extent he did in the 90s. The negatives of giving teams that would struggle to score in the half court opportunities to score in the open court and the free throw line typically out weigh the positives of turnover generation.

Reaction Score
4.Geno said that KML "never, EVER gets tired out there." However, after 15 mins, Stokes and Banks 'need oxygen'. Sounds to me like KML's off-season workouts were no joke! The rest of the frosh simply need to get used to the intensity and pace of UCONN basketball. They will get it in time, as they are pretty decent athletes to start with.

To chalk up KML never getting tired to off-season workouts I think partly misses what Geno was describing. Because I think to a larger degree Geno was talking about a player with the talent of not getting tired. The rare players that can maintain mental sharpness over an extended period of time. The quality Geno is talking about is something I saw in KML even 2- 3 years ago when she was not in the greatest shape dating all the way back to when she was a sophomore. Conditioning certainly helps players stay mentally focused longer. Sue Bird has talked about learning that conditioning is essential for just that reason, but there is also very much a mental talent component that often gets over looked. And if players lack it no amount of physical conditioning can compensate for it.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
To chalk up KML never getting tired to off-season workouts I think partly misses what Geno was describing. Because I think to a larger degree Geno was talking about a player with the talent of not getting tired. The rare players that can maintain mental sharpness over an extended period of time. The quality Geno is talking about is something I saw in KML even 2- 3 years ago when she was not in the greatest shape dating all the way back to when she was a sophomore. Conditioning certainly helps players stay mentally focused longer. Sue Bird has talked about learning that conditioning is essential for just that reason, but there is also very much a mental talent component that often gets over looked. And if players lack it no amount of physical conditioning can compensate for it.

Very true. He did speak of it in a broader context than simply conditioning. Part of it in KML's case was the toughness already on display in literally transforming her body over the summer so she could be prepared at the next level from a fitness standpoint. The other part is something innate, being able to play through the fatigue that will still set in at some point, no matter how fit you are, and staying mentally tough, mentally sharp as you point out. She does sound like a great one, doesn't she...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom