Aresco's Performance Review | The Boneyard

Aresco's Performance Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I am sorry, I had hopes for him, but a total failure and I don't see why this guy is kept on at $1M per year which, according to his salary, means he provides the same value as the entire UConn MBB program. Lest anyone attempt to defend him, here is a list of his "accomplishments":

1) he lost BSU;
2) he lost SDSU;
3) he lost the C7 & ND;
4) he lost a team we don't know of yet, notwithstanding HFD theories (TV deal for 10 teams, when 11 are currently in);
5) he signed us up for $2 fcucking million dollars a year on a network nobody is every going to watch.
6) he is currently on UConn by not allowing them into the Big East Tournament;
7) he added Tulane for some unknown reason.

In all honesty, we could have had the same outcome with no leadership. I feel like he is GDL part 2, lots of talk about plans and experience, and yet not a damn thing to show for it.

Reaction Score
I liked Aresco from the start... True, things haven't gone as planned, but how much can you fault Aresco without knowing what went on behind the scenes.
Did he lose BSU or did the NBE decide not to aggressively push the western wing idea once the numbers were thrown around. And, it's not like BSU is getting the same money. If the NBE gave BSU more money, we'd all be bullsh-t at that. so how do you blame him for that?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
1) he took ecu without going to a local fish & chips
2) i want to see the rack tulane flashed at him, can't blame him if it was impressive...
3)sdsu plays at a high elevation and players have big hands there. they would have killed this whole confrence on the field. like mexico soccer .
4)how dare u mention my tin foil, the kitty will scratch u!
5)i think we should call up spike tv and get crazy
6)we have a post season ban from the ncaa, with that being said i have a # to call for the bet for bomb threats come time
7)bosie makes lville look like harvard

my grade?

F

Reaction Score
I am sorry, I had hopes for him, but a total failure and I don't see why this guy is kept on at $1M per year which, according to his salary, means he provides the same value as the entire UConn MBB program. Lest anyone attempt to defend him, here is a list of his "accomplishments":

1) he lost BSU;
2) he lost SDSU;
3) he lost the C7 & ND;
4) he lost a team we don't know of yet, notwithstanding HFD theories (TV deal for 10 teams, when 11 are currently in);
5) he signed us up for $2 fcucking million dollars a year on a network nobody is every going to watch.
6) he is currently ting on UConn by not allowing them into the Big East Tournament;
7) he added Tulane for some unknown reason.

In all honesty, we could have had the same outcome with no leadership. I feel like he is GDL part 2, lots of talk about plans and experience, and yet not a damn thing to show for it.

The guy was hired to catch a 400 pound boulder that had already been dropped from a mile high cliff. You are b****ing about the wrong guy.

Reaction Score
Completely unfair. You show a lack of understanding.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
The guy was hired to catch a 400 pound boulder that had already been dropped from a mile high cliff. You are b****ing about the wrong guy.

Why does everyone give such a big pass for a guy making $1M per year? He came into the job under the premise that he could catch the boulder. He hyped his media savvy and connections to get the job, then delivered an abysmal contract. That is all there is to it. Everything I listed happened under his watch, and the result is the looming destruction of UConn sports. But sure, lets give poor 'ole Aresco a break.

Reaction Score
1) he took ecu without going to a local fish & chips
2) i want to see the rack tulane flashed at him, can't blame him if it was impressive...
3)sdsu plays at a high elevation and players have big hands there. they would have killed this whole confrence on the field. like mexico soccer .
4)how dare u mention my tin foil, the kitty will scratch u!
5)i think we should call up spike tv and get crazy
6)we have a post season ban from the ncaa, with that being said i have a # to call for the bet for bomb threats come time
7)bosie makes lville look like harvard

my grade?

F

I'm not going to lie here - your posts are a big reason why I visit this board.

Reaction Score
Why does everyone give such a big pass for a guy making $1M per year? He came into the job under the premise that he could catch the boulder. He hyped his media savvy and connections to get the job, then delivered an abysmal contract. That is all there is to it. Everything I listed happened under his watch, and the result is the looming destruction of UConn sports. But sure, lets give poor 'ole Aresco a break.

What if he was making $500k, $200k, $75k.... does he get a pass? What does pay have to do with it? Sometimes you just can't sell @ the dump.

Ya wanna blame someone - blame the flaming as who convinced the Presidents to turn down the ESPN offer two years ago!

I get the frustration though....

Reaction Score
D-

He gets that for Tulane.

The only thing that keeps him from an F is the precondition that he walked in on.

This board has such a massive history of apologizing for mediocrity and bad decisions. Tranghese, Marinatto and now Aresco.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
What if he was making $500k, $200k, $75k.... does he get a pass? What does pay have to do with it? Sometimes you just can't sell @ the dump.

Ya wanna blame someone - blame the flaming as who convinced the Presidents to turn down the ESPN offer two years ago!

I get the frustration though....

Medic,

My point is that when he came in and negotiated himself a $1M/yr job he presumably sold a vision for the league that he could deliver in order to justify his salary. When he failed, as he clearly has done, he should be called to task over it. As simple as that.

Frankly, I don't understand the defense of the guy. We are all accountable to our employers for our work. If we fail to deliver value in proportion to our salary there is an implicit understand that we get fired. And we all accept that, so why does this guy get a pass?

And to address your question head on - yes, if he was making $75,000 I would say that the value in proportion to his cost is warranted. At $1M it is not. And blame is not mutually exclusive, there are too many who are collectively responsible for this mess.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah but he sat in the room bragging how he's been catching 800 lb pounds boulders for his whole career. It may have been impossible to succeed but he bombed beyond all expectations.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah his situation was next to impossible but there isn't a single positive data point where you can point and say he contributed. Literally anyone could have done what he's done. Standing and watching the thing burn to the ground is not tough.

Reaction Score
D-

He gets that for Tulane.

The only thing that keeps him from an F is the precondition that he walked in on.

This board has such a massive history of apologizing for mediocrity and bad decisions. Tranghese, Marinatto and now Aresco.
When no one meets your satisfaction, that says more about you than everyone else.

David Stern could not have saved this conference from the time Aresco came in

Reaction Score
Medic,

My point is that when he came in and negotiated himself a $1M/yr job he presumably sold a vision for the league that he could deliver in order to justify his salary. When he failed, as he clearly has done, he should be called to task over it. As simple as that.

Frankly, I don't understand the defense of the guy. We are all accountable to our employers for our work. If we fail to deliver value in proportion to our salary there is an implicit understand that we get fired. And we all accept that, so why does this guy get a pass?

And to address your question head on - yes, if he was making $75,000 I would say that the value in proportion to his cost is warranted. At $1M it is not. And blame is not mutually exclusive, there are too many who are collectively responsible for this mess.
He walked into an impossible job - you can't blame him for a single thing. You're angry because he agreed to try - and be paid for it - to prevent the inevitable. Even now, you can't sell the big east because you don't even know who's going to be in it. Come June 30, the B1G may invite 2 schools from the ACC and then USF and Uconn get invited to the ACC. What does Aresco even have to sell right now?

Reaction Score
Yeah his situation was next to impossible but there isn't a single positive data point where you can point and say he contributed. Literally anyone could have done what he's done. Standing and watching the thing burn to the ground is not tough.
Hey, he tried. What was the NBE supposed to do, not hire anyone? Hire a recent college grad for $40K? I agree that the result would have been the same, but then everyone'd be bit--ing about that we didn't hire someone with experience like Aresco.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hey, he tried. What was the NBE supposed to do, not hire anyone? Hire a recent college grad for $40K? I agree that the result would have been the same, but then everyone'd be bit--ing about that we didn't hire someone with experience like Aresco.

Imagine if he didn't try? Waylon could have gotten the same deal and at least would have gone down with a public fight.

He got nothing and went out like a lamb.

Reaction Score
When no one meets your satisfaction, that says more about you than everyone else.

David Stern could not have saved this conference from the time Aresco came in

David Stern wouldn't have added Tulane. And David Stern is overrated.

And obviously you can't read, because the preconditions have been his only saving grace.

Reaction Score
The word on Aresco was that he is more of a facilitator who was used to playing with a loaded deck. Running the BigEast requires more than a facilitator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom