Aresco Talks About UConn and Realignment | The Boneyard

Aresco Talks About UConn and Realignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Talk about the status of UConn. In five years, do you think they’ll be a part of the conference?

“I think so and I hope so. Realignment, I’m not going to make any predictions because two years ago, you might have made a prediction that was wrong. Yet, the situation was unsettled then and it’s a lot more settled now. As you know, not much happened this past fall.

We think that, ultimately, these conferences seem stable now. You look at the Big 12 and they only have 10 teams, but they’re very happy with the round robin and they like it very much. They seem to want to stay the same. Right now, there just doesn’t seem to be anything going on. Now, that could change.

Conferences have gotten bigger. They have to consolidate. I’m not quite sure you’re going to see any move towards 16-team conferences. Some people honestly believe—and who knows, you could be wrong tomorrow—that this could be five or 10 years before there’s really any further shifts because you’ve got long-term TV deals in place. It’s now sort of settled out in what the conferences did in realignment.

I think, in our conference, our goal is to build it and to make sure we become one of the others and that people perceive us the same year. We have that opportunity...because out (TV deal) only goes out six years.

We knew that a year and a half ago no one knew what we were. No one knew what we had. No one knew how the new schools would relate to each other. They didn’t know how cohesive we’d be. They didn’t know if we’d be able to get the kinds of deals in place that we needed.

Consequently, we decided a short-term deal would be better. We went to the networks to do a four or five or six-year deal. We ended up doing a six-year deal. That gives us a chance to renegotiate and say, ‘Look, let’s go out and do something longer and rewrite some of the initial years now that we’ve obviously proven our value.

There are other things we can do as a conference to enhance our TV value. We’re working on them now. There are other things we’re doing online. That’s a new world. We’re not ignoring that. We’ve got a digital network and we’re providing a lot of value to ESPN 3, but we prefer most of our games to be on regular TV and they will be now.

Again, as you look at conference realignment and the landscape, it’s quieted down. We fully expect the schools in the conference to remain in the conference and, by the way, they’ve bought in very well. We’ve had some schools, as you know, talk a lot about possible going to other conferences. They have really bought in. Jeff can tell you. They’ve been partners. UConn has been terrific and we’ve got a group of schools coming in and they’re thrilled to be here.

We’ve got a lot of schools that would like to join us. We really do. We like 12 when Navy joins next year. We don’t have any reason to think about expanding at this point unless there are some schools that approach us and bring great value. There are a few out there, but not many.”

http://eastcarolina.scout.com/story/1414510-mike-aresco-pc-quotes-part-two?s=47

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Some more on UCONN football...

"The same thing here. Everything’s in place. Ruffin McNeill’s a terrific coach. Last year, you lose to Virginia Tech by five points, beat North Carolina, beat N.C. State. If you do those things like that this year, it’s going to generate a lot more interest. It just is, and ask any of our schools last year who got that kind of attention. UConn played Michigan and we saved ABC that night. I think they would have had to put on a game that wasn’t the game they thought it would be early on, a game from another conference. They decided to put it in roughly in 70 percent of the country. You saw that.

People said to me after, ‘You guys play some big-boy football, don’t ya?’ UConn should have won that game and it was a terrific game. They had Michigan coming toConnecticut and they had 45 or 50 thousand and the place was packed. You saw it, it was a national game on ABC. South Carolina played UCF nationally. That was on ABC and they lost by three points."

Reaction Score
So if we're getting paid a pittance per year, how was he stuck on 6 years rather than 4? I'd rather get paid jacksh!t for 4 years than 6.

Reaction Score
"because you’ve got long-term TV deals in place." Does anyone know when the TV deals for the B1G, ACC and B12 expire? I'm pretty sure the B1G is up soon. Wouldn't Aresco know that?

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
"because you’ve got long-term TV deals in place." Does anyone know when the TV deals for the B1G, ACC and B12 expire? I'm pretty sure the B1G is up soon. Wouldn't Aresco know that?

The Big10's new contract will be in place for the 2017/2018 season. The other P5's go through mid 2020's.

Reaction Score
The Big10's new contract will be in place for the 2017/2018 season. The other P5's go through mid 2020's.
Thanks. If a conference adds a team they can reopen contract negotiations though right?

Reaction Score
It's a bad situation not created by anyone's choosing. But I'm beginning to think Aresco has more foresight and knowledge of the college landscape and ability to act (to some degree) to make a bad situation better that any of the former BE conference idiots. Small time minds lead to this c**** we're stuck in.

So maybe instead of shedding tears, all teams could rally and prove the a*****es in the P5 conferences wrong. I happen to believe there are plenty of "under the radar coaches" in this conferences, including BD, that can raise a few eyebrows the next few years.

All AAC teams may be disappointed and aren't where they want to be. All of us, administration, coaches, players, fans have to stop whining and do our parts........and maybe Aresco is right......by the time the next TV contract is due for negotiation, the "little engine that many thought couldn't" has kicked the butt of those P5 nitwits.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Thanks. If a conference adds a team they can reopen contract negotiations though right?

I think they can open at any time, but the question is will the networks want to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom