Are we really this good? | The Boneyard

Are we really this good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I mean this team is scary and its not even peaked. I want to believe that we are 'that' good, but I am somewhat reserved because of the level of competition.

I have not seen a team like ours this season, so many weapons and so strong defensively shutting down HC that way. We looked like a semi pro team out there.

So I ask are we really that good, or do we need a high caliber test to really know?

I am cautiously perplexed...............................

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A team is never as good as their best game (or as bad as their worst). But these guys are really good. They play team ball and they look out for each other. They are going to keep getting better.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
^ What he said.

Plus this team has a lot of scoring options. Very versatile team. They are still learning new sets from the coaches. They are still learning to be comfortable with one another, and in the various positions the coaches are moving them.

And they are still learning to be confident about how good they are.

There is no way of knowing how this develops over this season. They could easily stagnate as well as advance. My bet is they advance in their development and that could make them scary good before the season ends.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm in a mood for cross sport comparisons today, so here it goes.

Uconn today looked like a Verlander, Pedro or Gred Maddux in a game with their best stuff. Dominant performance by a team with more talent and almost everything clicking. Much like when those guys pitch their best games. Bad enough they have multiple pitches that are great and great command. But when they put it all together it was a thing of beauty. Games where you were literally surprised a batter could put the ball in play.

The way Uconn played today would have blown all but one or two teams in the country out. Maybe UNC or Kentucky would have the depth and athletes to hang within 10.

Not saying Uconn will play this well every game but they can play this well any game.

Reaction Score
We're good. We have good individual pieces, and we're working out chemistry, playing time, and JC is figuring out how to put it all together.

Looks like we will be 8 deep. What we need to be as great as we looked tonight, is consistency. I don't mean we need everyone clicking, but we need about 4 out of 8 of those players who are going to eat a lot of minutes to be playing well. When you need want to win it all, you need consistent performances. I like our chances with so many guys who can play different positions.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
We all know what kind of potential this team has. Seems like the front and back court take turns on controlling the games i.e. one will play incredibly and the other won't. Once they both start playing well at the same time, we are the best team in the country. If the Big East were made of Holy Crosses (losing to Maine, Harvard, Fairfield, Providence) we are really this good; but we all know that we play in the toughest conference in the country. Games like this are important to get the feel of playing together down, as it is clear AD is starting to accomplish.

AO had a strong, quiet game today with 15.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
We're good. We have good individual pieces, and we're working out chemistry, playing time, and JC is figuring out how to put it all together.

Looks like we will be 8 deep. What we need to be as great as we looked tonight, is consistency. I don't mean we need everyone clicking, but we need about 4 out of 8 of those players who are going to eat a lot of minutes to be playing well. When you need want to win it all, you need consistent performances. I like our chances with so many guys who can play different positions.
Well stated. JL and TO had horrible games, for them, on the offensive end. They more then made up for it on the defensive end. Last season if the star, KW had a bad game, there was a decent chance the team would lose. This year, on any given day, most players can step up and be the offensive stars. The eggs are diversified.

This team got off to a slow start with Andre breaking his nose and RB not being available. I can only imagine what this team would look like now if RB was available starting preseason and that mask never happened. I expect a few bumps in the road. This team is still young and learning. But they seem to be willing to learn and that bodes well for them, the team and for us.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I think we are going 9 deep. Napier, Lamb, Boatright, Giffey, Daniels, Smith, Olander, Oriakhi and Drummond.

We may only use 8 of the 9 for most games. Today it was Giffey who only played the last six. But look what happened when he came in. A catch, dunk and three point play. Tipped pass on defense, rebound. He can play.

I think it's safe to say outside of foul trouble the following are all getting 25 minutes- Napier, Lamb, Boatright, Oriakhi and Drummond.

That leaves four players- Giffey, Smith, Daniels and Olander to fill minutes for three slots. Three of the four will get at least 15 minutes. One of the four gets 8 or less.

Reaction Score
Would love it if Giffey worked his way into some more minutes. Good things happen when he's in the game, especially when he's off the ball.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I couldn't believe how much he did in such a short amount of time. He made the most of his playing time until the scrubs came in.

Reaction Score
Um, it's one game. Relax.

I feel pretty good saying UConn will be better than Syracuse by season's end, though (if they're not already).

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Um, it's one game. Relax.

I feel pretty good saying UConn will be better than Syracuse by season's end, though (if they're not already).
Actually it is four games in a row now in which we are observing a linear improvement in the team's game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I couldn't believe how much he did in such a short amount of time. He made the most of his playing time until the scrubs came in.

Both him and Daniels played hard the last three minutes. Daniels was still running, grabbed and offensive rebound and stayed active.

With the scholarship reduction and Bradley still working his way in to game from his injury reality is that we are going to have 2-3 good scholarship players on the court at the end of the biggest blowouts. Especially if its on the road where not all the walkons make the trip (I think one walk on is rewarded to travel for each road game).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We didn't see Wolf though.

Is there an injury we don't know about. In a blowout game like this I would have expected him to get some run.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Oriakhi and Drummond hold down the lane more and I want to see Lamb playing better D on drives.

Reaction Score
Actually it is four games in a row now in which we are observing a linear improvement in the team's game.
I guess.

I will say that the defense (which had some holes early, particularly on the perimeter) looks like it's this good. The offense seems to be coming around a little, too, and it's probably no coincidence that it looks the best when the bigs play well.

The upside of this team is scary. Can't wait for conference play to start to see them play against real teams.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We didn't see Wolf though.

Is there an injury we don't know about. In a blowout game like this I would have expected him to get some run.

Didn't I read he was hurt? Tweaked something I think.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd like to see Oriakhi and Drummond hold down the lane more and I want to see Lamb playing better D on drives.

If we have to nitpick, I too thought Lamb was using his length more than his legs and body when playing defense on the ball. He is lethal in the passing lanes and cross court passes though.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Wolf has a concussion I think.
Yeah he had a concussion and they are taking precautions. You saved me from myself. I was going to tell people they are barking up the wrong tree. Glad I didn't have to go there.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If we have to nitpick, I too thought Lamb was using his length more than his legs and body when playing defense on the ball. He is lethal in the passing lanes and cross court passes though.
I would bet any amount JL spent a lot of time away from the courts over the last ten days because he was studying. And that impacted his shooting as well as some of his game speed. I'm only guessing naturally, but if I'm correct, he had his priorities straight.

But I agree he is lethal in the passing lanes and cross court passes. I would say he might be the best since Nadav.

Reaction Score
I think a key to the season's ultimate success will be how good AD and AO can get in the half-court offense. There will be games where the outside shots aren't falling and the alley oops aren't available. Solid post moves by either or both will make this team nearly unstoppable offensively.

Reaction Score
huskies.jpg

Reaction Score
Well stated. JL and TO had horrible games, for them, on the offensive end. They more then made up for it on the defensive end. Last season if the star, KW had a bad game, there was a decent chance the team would lose. This year, on any given day, most players can step up and be the offensive stars. The eggs are diversified.

This team got off to a slow start with Andre breaking his nose and RB not being available. I can only imagine what this team would look like now if RB was available starting preseason and that mask never happened. I expect a few bumps in the road. This team is still young and learning. But they seem to be willing to learn and that bodes well for them, the team and for us.

I don't think it was the mask as much as AD gaining more experience and our guards getting to know him better.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I don't think it was the mask as much as AD gaining more experience and our guards getting to know him better.
In the scheme of things those are more important. But that mask bothers players, some more than others. And it was no secret it bother AD a lot. So getting rid of it improved his mood imo and that had to contribute to his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom