Are we past the cut-off point to self-impose...... | The Boneyard

Are we past the cut-off point to self-impose......

Reaction Score
a post-season ban? We are 11-10 and this might be the last time we are above .500 the rest of the season. Losing the next 2 is possible & then from there we might get above .500 but from what I realistically project we finish 15-16 or 16-15. So right now is probably the final point we can self-impose ban & not be laughed at by NCAA.....it may even be too late. If there is nothing to the charges then I will happily admit I was wrong.

UConn is radio silence about what & the severity of the alleged recruiting violations & from past NCAA investigation experiences we've had this could drag into the off-season. I would think UConn AD/Pres have an idea what the penalty might eventually be so if they think a post-season ban is coming do it now & take our chances they accept it down the road.....if they know the charges are minor then I guess we do nothing for now.

Reaction Score
A ban for what exactly? We don't know anything yet as far as what we are being investigated for.
I assume UConn powers know.....season is done so if they know we did something wrong might as well take the medicine now instead of down the road. If there is no wrong doing then obviously we don't. I understand that we aren't going to do this now probably but the NCAA is going to hold this over the program as long as they can.

Reaction Score
A ban for what exactly? We don't know anything yet as far as what we are being investigated for.
"We" don't know, but someone inside UConn knows. Not saying we should pre-impose a ban, I doubt that would matter anyway with the way the NCAA has treated us differently. But even considering "plausible" deniability, there have to be people in the program that know what this is about, if we crossed a line, and to what extent.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I assume UConn powers know.....season is done so if they know we did something wrong might as well take the medicine now instead of down the road. If there is no wrong doing then obviously we don't. I understand that we aren't going to do this now probably but the NCAA is going to hold this over the program as long as they can.

"We" don't know, but someone inside UConn knows. Not saying we should pre-impose a ban, I doubt that would matter anyway with the way the NCAA has treated us differently. But even considering "plausible" deniability, there have to be people in the program that know what this is about, if we crossed a line, and to what extent.

I personally both of you are jumping to conclusions here and I also believe that self imposing a ban this early will only send a message that ta) we sre truly guilty of something and b) there is a lot of dirt that we would prefer nobody sees.

I will gladly say that I was wrong if that ends up being the case but I will need to see some very hard evidence before I believe KO did any cheating while recruiting. He has exposed many flaws recently but I don't think cheating for a recruit is something he would do.

Reaction Score
My sense is that other schools don’t handle things this way despite the NCAAs supposed gag order. I seem to recall Both Syracuse and Louisville and others (UNC) going on the offensive pretty quickly when word of the NCAA looking into things starts making the rounds. I sometimes wonder if our legal people are too conservative in their advice on this and we would fare better publicly challenging the NCAA. A friend of mine who was a pretty successful white collar defense attorney said that if you challenge a bully, in his case the US attorney, they usually back way off and sometimes walk away completely. I wonder if it would work with the NCAA?

Reaction Score
I personally both of you are jumping to conclusions here and I also believe that self imposing a ban this early will only send a message that ta) we sre truly guilty of something and b) there is a lot of dirt that we would prefer nobody sees.

I will gladly say that I was wrong if that ends up being the case but I will need to see some very hard evidence before I believe KO did any cheating while recruiting. He has exposed many flaws recently but I don't think cheating for a recruit is something he would do.
I agree I am jumping to conclusions.....I'm just throwing it out as a way to get any penalty behind us since season is lost anyway. There is no easy answer, just hate that helpless feeling and if this drags on for months will hurt us even more recruiting wise. It's probably a dumb & unlikely idea this early in the investigation & I accept the criticism. I assume we'll just let this play out and hopefully nothing found that warrants a ban next year. It's going to be a difficult off-season I suspect regardless trying to keep players & recruits in the fold.

Last edited:

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I agree I am jumping to conclusions.....I'm just throwing it out as a way to get this behind us since season is lost anyway. There is no easy answer, just hate that helpless feeling and if this drags on for months will hurt us even more recruiting wise. It's probably a dumb & unlikely idea (at this point) & I accept the criticism. I assume we'll just let this play out and hopefully nothing found that warrants a ban next year.
I agree with what you say, except (and call me a fool if you like) I hold out the remote possibility that somehow, in some way, the team can show improvement over the course of the rest of this season. So, there is that unlikely chance this isn't a lost season. It's what keeps me watching/listening I guess.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Uconn didn't self report, which it would have to do to self sanction.

After UNC, I'm not sure why any school would voluntarily sanction itself again.

Reaction Score

I literally wrote "not saying we should pre-impose a ban"

AND

"IF we crossed a line"

Somebody at UConn knows what 3 recruits are involved, and what people from UConn did or didn't do in their recruitment. They may not know what was or wasn't done "on our behalf" outside the AD. But they aren't sitting there clueless as to what this could possibly be about. You seem to think UConn has no idea what this could be about, that's extremely unlikely.

Reaction Score

Did Syracuse self report? Louisville?

Reaction Score
My sense is that other schools don’t handle things this way despite the NCAAs supposed gag order. I seem to recall Both Syracuse and Louisville and others (UNC) going on the offensive pretty quickly when word of the NCAA looking into things starts making the rounds. I sometimes wonder if our legal people are too conservative in their advice on this and we would fare better publicly challenging the NCAA. A friend of mine who was a pretty successful white collar defense attorney said that if you challenge a bully, in his case the US attorney, they usually back way off and sometimes walk away completely. I wonder if it would work with the NCAA?
The stories out there
We are being handicapped by a gag order which apparently has already been abused

Reaction Score
As mentioned previously, potential violations being reported by an outside source may limit the opportunity to self-impose. It is probable that UConn knows the scope of the violations at this time; if they feel the issues are not violations they will work to refute the allegations; if they feel the alleged violations have substance, they could work with the NCAA enforcement people to "negotiate" a settlement. The NCAA is a funky organization when it comes to allegations & enforcement as we know so well. In my past career as an NCAA baseball coach, my institution got hit with a violation because my predecessor conducted a high school clinic for the local high school during the "no contact" period 2 years before I took over the program- it was reported by another university's coach. We worked with the NCAA to resolve since it was a definite violation. Here's the crazy outcome - we were a D2 school that did not offer scholarships at the time; we were docked the equivalent of one scholarship - go figure...... And it took close to 2 years to resolve....for a D2 program....

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Cuse self imposed a ban on a team that LOST to last year’s tire fire of a team. Anything possibleeeee

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I'm pretty sure you can always self sanction. The NCAA can say it was sufficient or not. I say we give the NCAA tournament for this year and agree to vacate last season's post season victories just show how contrite for whatever the NCAA is investigating.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom