Are we lined up to play in any in-season tournaments next year? | The Boneyard

Are we lined up to play in any in-season tournaments next year?

Reaction Score
We went to Charleston for the guys and thoroughly enjoyed it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Probably not. They played in the Paradise Jam last year. Usually don't do those but every 4 years or so. Might be an NCAA thing??? Not sure.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Probably not. They played in the Paradise Jam last year. Usually don't do those but every 4 years or so. Might be an NCAA thing??? Not sure.
I'm pretty sure (although not an expert) that 4 year rule is no longer applicable. I believe you can go every year if the tourneys want you and the only limit is you can only go to the same tournament 2 out of every four years.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Probably can't return to the same event within a few years, but there's no general year-to-year restriction on playing in multi-team events. Notre Dame played in the Gulf Coast Showcase in 2018, the Vancouver Showcase in 2019, and Cancun this year.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Probably can't return to the same event within a few years, but there's no general year-to-year restriction on playing in multi-team events. Notre Dame played in the Gulf Coast Showcase in 2018, the Vancouver Showcase in 2019, and Cancun this year.
I believe the restrictions are that you have to wait 4 years to play the same tournament, (multi-team events) or overseas travel like playing in Europe.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Isn't this year 2019? :eek:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Yes, shift each number back a year please.
Plebe congrats on SFA's upset of Duke. Has UConn WBB ever lost to a team like SFA while being ranked #1?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Plebe congrats on SFA's upset of Duke. Has UConn WBB ever lost to a team like SFA while being ranked #1?
Mmmm not sure. A team like SFA — meaning a mid major? Has any WBB #1 suffered that type of loss? Upsets are way more prevalent in MBB

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Mmmm not sure. A team like SFA — meaning a mid major? Has any WBB #1 suffered that type of loss? Upsets are way more prevalent in MBB
I don't believe that Southland Conference would be considered a top mid major like the Big East, AAC, MAC, WAC, or the Mountain West. I would consider their conference to be closer to the second tier of the mid majors.

Reaction Score
This year's MBB has so many upsets that I am enjoying lots fun ;)....

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure (although not an expert) that 4 year rule is no longer applicable. I believe you can go every year if the tourneys want you and the only limit is you can only go to the same tournament 2 out of every four years.

The rule on this hasn't changed for quite a while. A team can only go to a specific tournament once every four years. And only one team per conference can play in any given tournament.

Teams can go to a tournament every year, just not the same one.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The rule on this hasn't changed for quite a while. A team can only go to a specific tournament once every four years. And only one team per conference can play in any given tournament.

Teams can go to a tournament every year, just not the same one.
There is a change in the one team per conference. They can play in the same tournament as long as long as they don't play against each other.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I wanted to go soooooo bad but it slipped my mind... forgot to go back and search for flights. I couldve killed 2 birds with one stone, UConn basketball and Black History

Reaction Score
There is a change in the one team per conference. They can play in the same tournament as long as long as they don't play against each other.

From the basketball section in this year's NCAA bylaws:

Qualifying Regular-Season Multiple-Team Event.

A qualifying regular-season multiple team event is one in which:
(a) The event is sponsored by the NCAA, an active member or a member conference of the Association, or the National Association of Basketball Coaches or the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association;
(b) The event includes not more than four contests per institution and concludes not later than 14 days after the first contest of the event;
(c) Participation is limited, by conference, to one team per conference and, by institution, to not more than once in the same event in any four-year period; and
(d) Each participating institution is using Bylaw 17.3.5.1-(a) as its maximum contest limitation for the playing season in which it participates in the event.

- - - - - - -

It is possible if an event is not an official multi-team event and doesn't provide the scheduling advantages of a multi-team event, then more than one team from the same conference might participate. But it would be unusual for a multiple team event not to be classified as a MTE. Can you provide a source for the change you cite? I would be interested in seeing what it covers and where it appears in the bylaws.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
From the basketball section in this year's NCAA bylaws:

Qualifying Regular-Season Multiple-Team Event.

A qualifying regular-season multiple team event is one in which:
(a) The event is sponsored by the NCAA, an active member or a member conference of the Association, or the National Association of Basketball Coaches or the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association;
(b) The event includes not more than four contests per institution and concludes not later than 14 days after the first contest of the event;
(c) Participation is limited, by conference, to one team per conference and, by institution, to not more than once in the same event in any four-year period; and
(d) Each participating institution is using Bylaw 17.3.5.1-(a) as its maximum contest limitation for the playing season in which it participates in the event.

- - - - - - -

It is possible if an event is not an official multi-team event and doesn't provide the scheduling advantages of a multi-team event, then more than one team from the same conference might participate. But it would be unusual for a multiple team event not to be classified as a MTE. Can you provide a source for the change you cite? I would be interested in seeing what it covers and where it appears in the bylaws.
This years Virgin Island's Paradise Jam WBB tournament has two teams from the Big 12, Baylor and Oklahoma State and two teams from the PAC 12 Oregon and Washington State. In last years tournament both UConn and USF played in the tournament, they didn't play against each other because they were in two different brackets. It's the same tournament but they have them as the Island Tournament and the Reef Tournament.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I see what they are doing. They are treating it as two separate tournaments so the one tournament rule does not apply.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom