Are we going to press this year? | The Boneyard

Are we going to press this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Having watched the first two expedition games I noted that we pressed for most of the games. It was more like full court man to man than a press most of the time and occasionally they ran a 2-1-2 zone press with a big man up between the foul line and half court it looked like. They didn't actively trap out of it though they just seemed to be using it to make the opponent start running his office later in the shot clock.
Do you think KO was just tinkering or do you think he intends to defend full court this year? I like the idea of pressing more and I think we have the depth and guard play to make it effective. They did create some steals off of it as well. It may be more a reaction to the new 30 second shot clock. If you can make the offense waste 10-12 seconds before getting into the half court set there is that much less time to set up a shot.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Having watched the first two expedition games I noted that we pressed for most of the games. It was more like full court man to man than a press most of the time and occasionally they ran a 2-1-2 zone press with a big man up between the foul line and half court it looked like. They didn't actively trap out of it though they just seemed to be using it to make the opponent start running his office later in the shot clock.
Do you think KO was just tinkering or do you think he intends to defend full court this year? I like the idea of pressing more and I think we have the depth and guard play to make it effective. They did create some steals off of it as well. It may be more a reaction to the new 30 second shot clock. If you can make the offense waste 10-12 seconds before getting into the half court set there is that much less time to set up a shot.
I think most programs are going to employ a soft press after makes so that opposing teams feel the 30 second shot clock a little more. So to answer your question, yes, but this will be a lot more common than you think.

Reaction Score
I think most programs are going to employ a soft press after makes so that opposing teams feel the 30 second shot clock a little more. So to answer your question, yes, but this will be a lot more common than you think.
Right, I was wondering if KO and other coaches would do this because of the shorter shot clock.

Reaction Score

Seeing their strengths, I would assume you'll see this a lot. We have speed and length - both translate well to press.

Reaction Score
We certainly appear to have the depth and athleticism to press and run. It would certainly, from my perspective make us a much more attractive team to watch.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

After reading OP's post I was inclined to make a similar post regarding the 30-sec shot clock leading to more common press around the NCAA.

With press most likely becoming more common, it's all the more reason to ensure you have multiple good ball handlers in the back court. Between Gibbs, Purv, Adams, and Hamilton, I feel really good about our ability to break the press. I actually think that if teams try to press us, it may jump-start our transition offense if we move the ball well (which we have been so far, granted, through 2 exhibitions).

Not only would I expect us to be able to break the press on offense, but I think we should benefit defensively by employing the defensive press because of our length. We no longer have sub-6 ft PGs... Adams is much longer than I imagined he'd be and Gibbs is over 6 ft. Both are fast guys with great handles. Purv is a bulldog with speed and Hamilton is REALLY long and quick for his size and he's definitely worked on his ball handling in the off-season.

Overall I think the 30 second shot clock will actually help our team based on our roster composition rather than hurt us. Some posters alluded to the fact that recent UConn teams have taken a while to get into offensive sets under KO so we may struggle more with a 30 second shot clock. But I think that running sets on offense and slowing the game down was more by design due to roster make-up.

KO now has a LOT of flexibility/versatility with the roster of guys we have for the first time since he's been here. I'm looking forward to seeing him use the team's depth and versatility to his advantage. Pressing and breaking the press will certainly be part of that.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@UChusky916 The other thing that we've done quite a bit of in the two expedition games is attack up court even after makes. One of Miller's real strengths is his outlet passing and he's been taking the ball out of the net a few times and firing up court. Early break attack is another likely byproduct of the short clock.

Reaction Score
Five seconds never seemed like a long time, but this year it could be in addition to all of the other factors mentioned, teams with lots of experience will also benefit.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Teams will press more to force time crunches, but hand checking calls will limit how much teams can press because of foul trouble. So O4P's "soft press" phrase is dead on.

Reaction Score
Teams will press more to force time crunches, but hand checking calls will limit how much teams can press because of foul trouble. So O4P's "soft press" phrase is dead on.
If they keep calling it like they have, Pitino is going to have to make some major adjustments... and not just having to do with hookers.

Reaction Score
really hope the handchecking 'point of emphasis' doesn't make the games unwatchable. I remember in the 2013 tourney we were banned from it was out of control, just foul calls on the most minimal of contact.

Reaction Score
really hope the handchecking 'point of emphasis' doesn't make the games unwatchable. I remember in the 2013 tourney we were banned from it was out of control, just foul calls on the most minimal of contact.
It is up to the coaching staff to recognize how the refs are going to call the games and get the players to make the adjustments. Like you, I hope we don't see a lot of ticky tacky fouls called.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Soft press, yes. Full press, sparingly at best. We go through this every year.

A full press is useful for teams that are not quite good enough and need to force the action. They're hoping for a sloppy game w a lot of turnovers. UCONN used to employ this.

Good teams are better served w a more deliberate style, relying on their superior talent to win out. No easy buckets. Once UConn became really good annually, with a steady influx of NBA caliber players, the press was largely abandoned.

Additionally, w great shot blockers down low, it serves you to play straight half court man. This also dovetails w UCONN's personnel over the years.

Reaction Score
According to Ollie (and JC), this is the year we bring back the press and run. Of course, JC said the same thing for the last 10 years of his career.

Reaction Score
Lol, yeah. And they will use peach baskets for hoops and a jump ball after every score too. The pressing defenses of the 80s and 90s ain't coming back You don't get NBA contracts that way so coaches can't use them in this 1-and-done era. Simple as that.

Reaction Score
Lol, yeah. And they will use peach baskets for hoops and a jump ball after every score too. The pressing defenses of the 80s and 90s ain't coming back You don't get NBA contracts that way so coaches can't use them in this 1-and-done era. Simple as that.

Huh?

Reaction Score
That type of press is no more part of the game than the jump after every basket. It was used in the game at its very beginnings. The used peach baskets originally too.

Reaction Score
That type of press is no more part of the game than the jump after every basket. It was used in the game at its very beginnings. The used peach baskets originally too.

I'm more puzzled by "You don't get NBA contracts that way so coaches can't use them in this 1-and-done era. Simple as that."

Reaction Score
There are still teams that full court press the whole game. I think we will see more given the 30 second shot clock. Maybe not full on trapping presses like we used to run back in the late 80s and early 90s but I think soft presses like a full court man to man or zone press will be back in style to make people eat more shot clock.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think we will. Perimeter guards will have to adjust to the hand checking rules though. From what I remember in 2013 it was a joke and screwed up with the flow of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom