Are we done recruiting for 2016? | The Boneyard

Are we done recruiting for 2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
If not, it's going to be a quiet 6 months on the 'Yard. What else will we have to talk about?

Reaction Score
Maybe look to Europe for a 6-5 Eurosteppin' sharpshooter?

Or, if they find a late bloomer like Bowden, I'd be glad to see him added to the class.

UConn will likely have 5 players leaving and 5 open scholarships next year, and that's if no one else leaves or transfers, so there's no point in holding out this 13th scholarship. Might as well use it.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I look and see 2 guards who can handle the ball against pressure. If one gets hurt, we are in trouble. If one is in foul trouble, the options shrink and dham will be the PG when either Jalen or Alterique have to take a blow. If we could get someone approaching Craig Austrie (perhaps overly optimistic), that would help a great deal.

Reaction Score
If not, it's going to be a quiet 6 months on the 'Yard. What else will we have to talk about?
We are still kicking the tires on a couple of late bloomers, and I wouldn't be shocked if we're active in the transfer market.

Also, the 2017 kids will start committing as soon as next month, though June is more likely. They can officially sign LOIs in November.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
If they are UConn needs a big inside who can pound the glass. That is what is needed moving into next season

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I look and see 2 guards who can handle the ball against pressure. If one gets hurt, we are in trouble. If one is in foul trouble, the options shrink and dham will be the PG when either Jalen or Alterique have to take a blow. If we could get someone approaching Craig Austrie (perhaps overly optimistic), that would help a great deal.

Definitely need a ball handler. Gibbs wasn't exactly the best facilitator with the ball but he was trust worthy bringing the ball up the court and handling pressure.

Next year is Jalen and freshman Gilbert? Definitely need another ball handler.

Not that it's a game changer but T-Sam as a senior would fill the role of 3rd option in bringing the ball up the court.

Reaction Score
I'm excited to see the growth out of Jalen this summer...and Dham/Purvis look like they are turning the corner on their potential....very excited!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Definitely need a ball handler. Gibbs wasn't exactly the best facilitator with the ball but he was trust worthy bringing the ball up the court and handling pressure.

Next year is Jalen and freshman Gilbert? Definitely need another ball handler.

Not that it's a game changer but T-Sam as a senior would fill the role of 3rd option in bringing the ball up the court.
yes, I guess my omission shows I don't think of him as a good option for that role.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
yes, I guess my omission shows I don't think of him as a good option for that role.

Considering T-Sam played that role on a team that won the National title, I think we could much worse than him.

Who are alternatives at this point? A grad transfer or an under the radar freshman?

Reaction Score
Considering T-Sam played that role on a team that won the National title, I think we could much worse than him.

Who are alternatives at this point? A grad transfer or an under the radar freshman?
Let's be clear: Samuel wasn't pushed out, from what we know. He left of his own volition, and potentially with acrimony (on his end). So were he still here, this year he'd have gotten fewer minutes and probably have done better with those minutes than he did in 2015, and maybe he could have been a Beverly like player next year. Everyone would have been very happy with that.

But he had his reasons for going elsewhere, and I don't begrudge him for it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Let's be clear: Samuel wasn't pushed out, from what we know. He left of his own volition, and potentially with acrimony (on his end). So were he still here, this year he'd have gotten fewer minutes and probably have done better with those minutes than he did in 2015, and maybe he could have been a Beverly like player next year. Everyone would have been very happy with that.

But he had his reasons for going elsewhere, and I don't begrudge him for it.

I don't begrudge him for leaving, I don't think he was forced out and I hope he doesn't have ill will towards the program.

It would be a shame to hear any of that was true.

You are absolutely correct that his role would have been minimized this season, but next year he could have stepped in to what he was in 2011.

As the second ball handler, like last season, we all saw it wasn't a role he was suited for, but next year as a 3rd guy? He absolutely could be a contributer like a Beverly type.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If they are UConn needs a big inside who can pound the glass. That is what is needed moving into next season

Zac Brown's still coming in. So we got that going for us.

Reaction Score
Brown's not coming until 2017, just FYI. He's also going to average more fouls per minute than Amida - kid's a work in progress.
I find that hard to believe because brimah at one point yesterday had 3 fouls in 3 minutes

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I know Mustafa Heron never really considered UCONN as a possible destination, but after reading that he just scored 32 pts. and grabbing 10 rebounds in the Class L title game for his third straight state title, I have to say this kid's a winner and one I hate to see leave the state, especially to Auburn.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not for another year, though. I do think getting another guard is more important
Brown's not coming until 2017, just FYI. He's also going to average more fouls per minute than Amida - kid's a work in progress.

Gotcha gents. I thought we were talking about future recruits, not just 2016. Thread veered off a bit and I got lost.

Matrim, at least he's got another year to develop then. I like the fact he 7ft with a nice solid frame that looks like it will fill out.

Reaction Score
I know Mustafa Heron never really considered UCONN as a possible destination, but after reading that he just scored 32 pts. and grabbing 10 rebounds in the Class L title game for his third straight state title, I have to say this kid's a winner and one I hate to see leave the state, especially to Auburn.

$$$$$$$$$

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I find that hard to believe because brimah at one point yesterday had 3 fouls in 3 minutes
I saw Brown play twice. He didn't seem to fall for ball fakes. I think he'll be much better as a freshman than Brimah was as a sophomore. Actually than Brimah as a junior since to me AB is the same player he was as a freshman. Brown just needs to get stronger but he has good defensive instincts.

Reaction Score
Matrim, at least he's got another year to develop then. I like the fact he 7ft with a nice solid frame that looks like it will fill out.
Yes, as well as great hands, great fundamentals (keeps the ball high) and reportedly a good motor. Kid's got a lot of tools, but because of his lack of lateral quickness he'll have to learn how to be a smart defender very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom