Are we a NCAA Tournament team next year? | The Boneyard

Are we a NCAA Tournament team next year?

Without any mystery additions to the roster will UConn be a NCAA Tourney team next year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So assuming that we only add Bouknight, Gaffney and Akok, would we be an NCAA Tourney team? I think we'd will be better but I'm not convinced that we have enough tools to get there.

Just curious where everyone thinks we stand at this point.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I doubt it. CV, Vital, Carlton and freshman should be another middling AAC team.

Reaction Score
We better be. Vital will be a senior, Carlton will be a year better, Sid and Polley will have time to get their stuff together and Gilbert Should be first team all conference.

I’m kind of tired of losing close games and seeing it presented as moral victories. This conference is solid but we aren’t playing the most elite talent every night. We should be winning some of these close games against solid conference teams This season, not to mention next season.

Reaction Score
A lot of question marks and too early to answer. Not worried about the guard play, and assume we'll see continuing but not fast enough improvement from Carlton. So:

Will Sid Wilson be able to help a basketball team win games, as opposed to just show the athletic potential to get there eventually?

Will Akok play like a top 30 freshman who has NBA potential, or will it take more time for him to achieve what many think he ultimately will?

I have no friggin idea.

Reaction Score
I don't think so. After Jalen leaves, there is no one to create their own shot. Who comes off that second screen looking to drive or and create? AG will be running the offense, Polley has a two dribble max, Wilson has a lot of work to do on the defensive end before he can think of offense, Vital is a spot shooter, not a creator. There is going to be a huge void when Jalen leaves and unless Bouknight and Gaffney walk in ready to average 10ppg, I don't see a huge improvement. Year 3 under Hurley will be the turning point.

Reaction Score
Tough to say. If we get Precious, absolutely. If not, questionable. We’ll have a good backcourt in AG+CV that should combine for 30+ PPG next season. The question marks are Sid and the freshmen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Disagree, you look at the scoring and think it's irreplaceable but I don't think he has a good effect on the team overall.
I don't like thinking this, but I'm inclined to agree.

Reaction Score
So assuming that we only add Bouknight, Gaffney and Akok, would we be an NCAA Tourney team? I think we'd will be better but I'm not convinced that we have enough tools to get there.

Just curious where everyone thinks we stand at this point.
Freshmen won't lead the team to the promised land. I actually think we will be worse with Jalen gone but we are moving in the right direction.

Reaction Score
Is anyone expecting a big jump from Brendan Adams next year? Maybe a whole summer learning defense and working on specific things with coaching staff....maybe

Reaction Score
I think Bouknight will eventually be the big scoring option we need. But it is unrealistic to expect that kind of impact from a freshman. Even our greatest freshman took awhile to make that kind of mark on the team. So, losing Jalen is going to hurt on offense. Defenders will crowd Alterique and Vital and force Polley and Bouknight to do the scoring.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think so.

Alterique and CV will be a good enough back court, and they depth behind them will be better than this year.

I like Carlton's progression so far this year and hopefully he'll be more consistent out the gate next year.

I think Bouknight is capable of an Omar Calhoun type freshman season.

If we can get double-digit points from Alterique, CV, Carlton and Bouknight I think we'll have a chance next year.

Reaction Score
Why do we have such low expectations for our incoming freshmen? It does seem like in the past our freshmen seem to take longer to be big time producers on the whole but when I look around the country there are freshmen doing big things all over the place and a bunch of them weren't highly ranked.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom