Are These Geno's First Public Political Comments Ever? | The Boneyard

Are These Geno's First Public Political Comments Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm well aware that there is a ban on political discussions on this forum. At the same time, it doesn't seem right to completely ignore this:
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-jacobs-column-geno-trum-1117-20161116-column.html

I won't describe his comments here, respecting the ban. But I would note that (to my recollection) this is the first time in all the years I have been following the team (more than a decade) that he has ever made direct political comments in public.

I think it's fair to ask why he broke with precedent to do this. IMHO, a big part of the reason is his friendship with San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich (whom you might call the Geno of the NBA), who made similar extensive comments a few days ago. I think Geno didn't want Pop to be standing alone.

Reaction Score
A lot of what Geno said was rhetorical. No sure I've seen him offer much political commentary before, but the way I read it, he didn't really offer much opinion.

I wouldn't put his comments in the same league as Popovich. Popovich was much more direct in his criticism / opinion.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm well aware that there is a ban on political discussions on this forum. At the same time, it doesn't seem right to completely ignore this:
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-jacobs-column-geno-trum-1117-20161116-column.html

I won't describe his comments here, respecting the ban. But I would note that (to my recollection) this is the first time in all the years I have been following the team (more than a decade) that he has ever made direct political comments in public.

I think it's fair to ask why he broke with precedent to do this. IMHO, a big part of the reason is his friendship with San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich (whom you might call the Geno of the NBA), who made similar extensive comments a few days ago. I think Geno didn't want Pop to be standing alone.
I think there is one simple answer - I doubt he has ever been asked as directly as he was this time to comment on the record about something political. He has given political indications in the past, but never answered such a direct set of questions. And because he does live in a universe dominated by women and minorities and the statements that have been made by our president elect, I think it probably matters more to him than to perhaps others.

In comparison to what Greg and a number of other people in professional sports have said, Geno's comments are very mild and measured.

Finally - this was not a 'normal' election, nor a 'normal' campaign - it was unique at least in our lifetimes. I think most of the country on both sides of the political spectrum are trying to understand exactly what it means in a way that goes beyond the normal transitions of power from one party to another. I for one am left to ponder if I will be left without access to health insurance because I am type 2 diabetic and retired, but not yet 65.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Those were pretty measured comments.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
ike_where_this_thread_is_going-vi.jpg~c200

Reaction Score
I was unable to view the article or ?video? as the so-called Microsoft Warning (ransom ware) deal took over my screen.
Don't know if it was lurking somewhere on Explorer or on that site but.....YMMV

Reaction Score
I was unable to view the article or ?video? as the so-called Microsoft Warning (ransom ware) deal took over my screen.
Don't know if it was lurking somewhere on Explorer or on that site but.....YMMV
If you've fallen prey to ransomware, you should immediately reboot your machine. That usually is enough to interrupt the encryption process that is going to hold your files ransom, so if that process never finishes you are likely OK.

Reaction Score
His opinions are just as news worthy as mine. In other words, they aren't.
Nothing but respect for anyone who holds themselves in the same esteem as Geno! You go Rocky! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I expected comments more like Pop's. Surprised me actually. Although he sounds like he's still in shock.

Reaction Score
There is absolutely no doubt to my mind at the White House last spring that Geno made his political sympathies well known.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The 2008 team watched the election results together, I believe at Geno's house. Geno has said how excited the team was. He didn't offer his personal opinion, but it seemed unlikely that he dissented with them.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
noticed no kneeling... or any other type of "statement"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads