Are Huskies Getting The Most Out Of Tight Ends? (M. Anthony) | The Boneyard

Are Huskies Getting The Most Out Of Tight Ends? (M. Anthony)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's an easy question to answer. No, we're not. But it ain't the fault of the TEs. It's the play calling.

Reaction Score
That's an easy question to answer. No, we're not. But it ain't the fault of the TEs. It's the play calling.

Or maybe it's because we have to keep them in to block. Honestly I wonder what the hell some of you are watching. It's pretty simple stuff.

Reaction Score
Or maybe it's because we have to keep them in to block. Honestly I wonder what the hell some of you are watching. It's pretty simple stuff.

I've been watching all season long. You can't tell me a tight end couldn't have gone out for a pass on any of the numerous ill-fated RJ dives at Navy or Syracuse. They had eight guys in the freaking guard box. Tight end blocking wasn't helping that.

Reaction Score
Here's the last play of the Navy game (2:10:00)

Here's how they set up. Bloom (86, left TE) blocks down. Looks as if he might have been open if he had released.

Reaction Score

... or the QB read/decision making as the M.A. article described.

From Tuesday press conference and in another article: “We have tried to get them more involved,” Diaco said of the tight ends. “You saw a new package and new formation in the [UCF] game, it wasn’t overly productive, but there are passes off those plays to the tight ends and they were targeted a bit. “They are good players, Tommy made some plays and Alec made some plays and I thought the tight ends as a whole had a nice game. We need to continue to grow that.”

TE's have had 8 out of 72 receptions since Syracuse (Bloom 6 - Meyers 2) since the Syracuse game.

Thomas 36
Newsome 9
Mayala 7 (out last two games)
Lemelle 6
Beals 5
McLean 1

It's hard to determine how many times the TE's were targeted and/or primary, secondary or tertiary option without knowing original play call.

Reaction Score
I've been watching all season long. You can't tell me a tight end couldn't have gone out for a pass on any of the numerous ill-fated RJ dives at Navy or Syracuse. They had eight guys in the freaking guard box. Tight end blocking wasn't helping that.

Let's put the end of the Navy game in the dumpster since it's universally agreed upon here that they effed that up.

If you want an idea of what it would look like if we constantly sent TE's on routes you watch the USF tape.

Reaction Score
It's hard to determine how many times the TE's were targeted and/or primary, secondary or tertiary option without knowing original play call.

I'll grant for purposes of this discussion that BS doesn't check down to second or third option. I think the number of receptions is an accurate representation of the times they were the primary targets.

Reaction Score
[/QUOTE]

Here's a play that almost always works out of that formation.

1- Thomas sprints to the corner making the DB chase evacuating the area and turning his back to the play.
2- Allmendinger playing FB leads Johnson to the LB who is playing at the end of the line on the defensive right.
3- Sherriff moves left and fakes the hand off to Johnson following Almendinger's lead block.
4- Johnson carries out the run fake at the LB.
5- Allmendinger chips the LB and runs into the flat.
6- Sherriff throws TD pass to Allmendinger.

I've seen that play many, many times. I've seen UConn do it. And if it doesn't work. Sherriff throws the ball away. And we call another play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom