Are bad coaches actually good? | The Boneyard

Are bad coaches actually good?

Reaction Score
No not all of them.

I’m just referring to a bunch who have taken their hits on this board, by me included.

Dawn Staley
Mike neighbors
Cori close
Kevin mcguff

All had teams that performed better than most expected.

Maybe they’re better than we thought?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No not all of them.

I’m just referring to a bunch who have taken their hits on this board, by me included.

Dawn Staley
Mike neighbors
Cori close
Kevin mcguff
All had teams that performed better than most expected.
Maybe they’re better than we thought?
Dawn: Definitely!
Mike: Yes.
Cori: Maybe.
Kevin: Ah Hell Nah!

Reaction Score
Dawn: Definitely!
Mike: Yes.
Cori: Maybe.
Kevin: Ah Hell Nah!
Couldn’t agree more with this. Dawn and Mike have proven themselves (Dawn moreso), but the other two have to prove they can do something once they have talented players besides let ‘em loose and hope they win.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
On Critics
“ We have to keep in mind one thing. Most critics don’t do anything. They can’t create. So what they do is criticize. They dump on things. They did the same thing to Dizzy Gillespie and Charles Parker … John Coltrane. I’ve always figured that critics were probably reincarnations of the mob that crucified Christ.”

Pete Cosey, Electric Mud Guitarist

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
On Critics
“ We have to keep in mind one thing. Most critics don’t do anything. They can’t create. So what they do is criticize. They dump on things. They did the same thing to Dizzy Gillespie and Charles Parker … John Coltrane. I’ve always figured that critics were probably reincarnations of the mob that crucified Christ.”

Pete Cosey, Electric Mud Guitarist

The key is to find critics who think that way you do. Then by listening to them, you save time, money, and emotional energy by avoiding bad theater, big food, bad service, bad exhibitions, and bad workmanship.

Then, the sharing of schadenfreude and release of bile from time to time become bonus perks

That's why I love the boneyard!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The key is to find critics who think that way you do. Then by listening to them, you save time, money, and emotional energy by avoiding bad theater, big food, bad service, bad exhibitions, and bad workmanship.
Then, the sharing of schadenfreude and release of bile from time to time become bonus perks

Which is why I listened to Ebert and not Siskel. The key is to realize what the critic offers is just an opinion. If you respect the critic, then perhaps you listen and think about what they said. If not, don't bother reading their opinion.

Reaction Score
I’ve actually always thought Mike Neighbors was a good coach. Had good success at Washington and is quickly turning this Arkansas program around.
I don't recall reading anything bad on the BY about Neighbors. The bible says "Love they Neighbor", don't we??

Reaction Score
Which is why I listened to Ebert and not Siskel. The key is to realize what the critic offers is just an opinion. If you respect the critic, then perhaps you listen and think about what they said. If not, don't bother reading their opinion.
Then too, except for a select few on the BY, everything else is an OPINION. If the BY thinks OPINIONs may not be true, fine, they are ONLY opinions and we all have them.

Reaction Score

Oldbone: One thing we learn as we grow older is that : Civilization, Engineering, Military, anything humans, including writing (for Rocky) if critiqued gets better. Critiquing isn't a bad thing. Everyone pn a person to person basis gets upset when critiqued. I believe there is no such thing as Helpful criticism. Helpful suggestions work better. Sarcasm, since you can't see the face on the internet sometimes is misinterpreted . Readers need open minds, something I don't always do
Still critiquing your team or another is part of being a fan if that isn't understood, then you don't understand what being a fan means. That's why we have an abundance of MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACK.

Reaction Score
Oldbone: One thing we learn as we grow older is that : Civilization, Engineering, Military, anything humans, including writing (for Rocky) if critiqued gets better. Critiquing isn't a bad thing. Everyone pn a person to person basis gets upset when critiqued. I believe there is no such thing as Helpful criticism. Helpful suggestions work better. Sarcasm, since you can't see the face on the internet sometimes is misinterpreted . Readers need open minds, something I don't always do
Still critiquing your team or another is part of being a fan if that isn't understood, then you don't understand what being a fan means. That's why we have an abundance of MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACK.

Very good, BV. We need to distinguish between casual criticism and the work of literary critics. Lumping terms together w/out defining them leads only to confusion, muddying the waters. Sarcasm is another example. Sometimes conflated with irony (another literary device), which it is not. People who criticize may be regarded as just complainers (a negative connotation), but literary criticism is an art (positive). Same with sarcasm (not nice); irony, the highest form of humor (nice). But why quibble?

Reaction Score
For those saying that the 4 coaches haven’t been criticized on this board - sorry but that’s not correct.

Neighbors has been criticized for inheriting McGuffs recruits and then recruiting no one on his own and leaving the cupboard more than bare at Wash.

Staley has been criticized for just dumping ball into A’ja, and for being saved from herself by Coates injury.

Reaction Score
Like a coach told me one time years ago, "Finish last in the conference, they call you
IDIOT. Finish last in med school, they call you Doctor!"

Reaction Score
Then too, except for a select few on the BY, everything else is an OPINION. If the BY thinks OPINIONs may not be true, fine, they are ONLY opinions and we all have them.

It just gets old when the opinions skew negative all the time. People are quick to have opinions on who isn't playing well, who isn't coaching well. Where is the praise for people doing well? Not as common as criticism.

Reaction Score
It just gets old when the opinions skew negative all the time. People are quick to have opinions on who isn't playing well, who isn't coaching well. Where is the praise for people doing well? Not as common as criticism.

Continuous negative anything is wearing on the mind and soul. It is my experience we see negatives and we see positives. Stating facts even if negative are still facts and not something conjured up by a psychic. While I can't handle well personal attacks I do handle facts petty good. There is a significant difference in stating the obvious (facts) and negative opinions. Yet, I find it difficult to stop opinions because that is what most on the y present. Only a select few state facts regularly and you probably know each one.
I was raised when the second amendment meant I could actually speak every word. I find it difficult to be part of anything that holds back full and complete discussions on BASKETBALL, Uconn that is.

Reaction Score
For those saying that the 4 coaches haven’t been criticized on this board - sorry but that’s not correct.

Neighbors has been criticized for inheriting McGuffs recruits and then recruiting no one on his own and leaving the cupboard more than bare at Wash.

Staley has been criticized for just dumping ball into A’ja, and for being saved from herself by Coates injury.
I don't for a second doubt what you write. The re is however a difference in: One opinion from one poster to multiple, a rash of, posters on the same coach.
Which is it? I am either reading different posters or I am one and don't realize it is I you refer to (since I don't know much about Neighbors it isn't he. )

Reaction Score
Like a coach told me one time years ago, "Finish last in the conference, they call you
IDIOT. Finish last in med school, they call you Doctor!"
Or any PHD program. Even in Academia you can win by one point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom