Aquira DeCosta update (and her list of schools) | The Boneyard

Aquira DeCosta update (and her list of schools)

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Is UCONN even recruiting her??

Reaction Score
Not sure but she is a highly ranked recruit........she is supremely athletic but would drive Geno totally crazy!!!!!!

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Not sure but she is a highly ranked recruit...she is supremely athletic but would drive Geno totally crazy!!!!!!
Yeah for sure, if you are referring to her play this summer.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It's hard to make a full judgement based on international play, but during the FIBA's she showed good defense, good rebounding, a quick first step, and a high motor. She also showed an inability to finish at the basket, she didn't move well without the ball, was a fair passer, and had terrible mid and long range shooting form. Yes, even Geno as most would be beguiled by her athleticism, and constantly disappointed by her poor decision making, rushed shots, turnovers, and inability to find her teammates in space. By the way, I can't even read the list. Who's 1,2,18,19 and 20?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yes. Per the UCONN recruiting page : "UConn coaches at one of her (DeCosta) games Jan. 2016."
There is Louisville again!
Baylor and Texas on her list?

Reaction Score
Yeah for sure, if you are referring to her play this summer.

Getting AD to play the "UConn way" would have to be one of Geno's biggest challenges ...........can anybody think of a UConn player that was that athletic but that undisciplined coming out of high school?

Reaction Score
Who's 1,2,18,19 and 20?

1. Duke
  2. USC
  3. Louisville
  4. Tenn
  5. Maryland
  6. Ariz St
  7. UConn
  8. Cal
  9. UCLA
  10. LMU
  11. So Carolina
  12. Washington
  13. Oklahoma
  14. Kentucky
  15. LSU
  16. N Dame
  17. Oregon
  18. Alabama
  19. Oregon St
  20. Baylor

Reaction Score
PAC (7) - USC, AzSt, Cal, UCLA, Wash, Oregon, Oregon St
SEC (5) - Tenn, SoCar, Kentucky, LSU, Alabama
ACC (3) - Duke, Louisville, ND
B12 (2) - Okla, Baylor
B10 (1) - Maryland
Other (2) - UConn, LMU

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Will she sit out a year in order to make a complete round of 20 unofficial visits? Meanwhile, leave it to Mom or Dad to stay home, take phone calls and answer mail (email & USPS).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Getting AD to play the "UConn way" would have to be one of Geno's biggest challenges ......can anybody think of a UConn player that was that athletic but that undisciplined coming out of high school?

Have to say, I saw her play against KLS over a year ago and she didn't come across as undisciplined to me. She's just a ball of energy; athletic, disruptive.

Reaction Score
Have to say, I saw her play against KLS over a year ago and she didn't come across as undisciplined to me. She's just a ball of energy; athletic, disruptive.

I've only seen her play school ball a couple of times but her recent play in the World's was helter skelter at times...........rushing shots, bad decision making but then again she wasn't the only one on that team......definitely a quick jumper/natural offensive rebounder...........if coached up she could be a major force on the court.................

Reaction Score
Getting AD to play the "UConn way" would have to be one of Geno's biggest challenges ......can anybody think of a UConn player that was that athletic but that undisciplined coming out of high school?
Charde Houston could be the closest,IMO.

Reaction Score
She may well be undisciplined because the coaches don't require it. That's how some of the best racehorses like Secretariat start out. A little control and discipline allow the superior athleticism to shine.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agree with you here. My rule of thumb is that the best players are the ones affected most by lousy coaches.
DeAcosta is also playing for a legendary High School program St. Mary's. That program produces high caliber top 100 ranked D1 players like Chelsea Gray (Duke), Jemerigbe (Cal), Courtney Range (Cal), Mi'cole Clayton (Neb-Cal). It has been a while since I've seen St. Mary's play -that program is very disciplined.

Reaction Score
DeAcosta is also playing for a legendary High School program St. Mary's. That program produces high caliber top 100 ranked D1 players like Chelsea Gray (Duke), Jemerigbe (Cal), Courtney Range (Cal), Mi'cole Clayton (Neb-Cal). It has been a while since I've seen St. Mary's play -that program is very disciplined.
I don't doubt it, she produces well for that team. Probably a very good coach. I was referring to the national teams.

Reaction Score
Jacki Gemelos also played under him.

Reaction Score
Last three posters were correct. Tom Gonzalves plays a very disciplined system and it is sometimes difficult for their" off the ball players" to try to adjust to a helter skelter system. They are used to ball movement and team play. Some of her "out of control" actions for the USA team appeared to me to simply be acts of frustration at the lack of team play. I remember it took Sabrina Ionesco -who plays for a similar coach and system- a summer and most of the next season to get rid of the bad habits ( lack of team play) she developed under that USA coach.

I am very familiar with the St Mary's team and Aquira. While she does have her off shooting days, the other negatives she displayed on the USA team were most uncharacteristic of her.

One other thing about the St Mary's system- They play the type of tempo ( high motor) that Aquira displays. If they don't ( no matter who it is ) they find themselves riding the pine. The practices are insanely intense. Players who come out of that program are as ready for a high caliber D1 program as it gets.

Reaction Score
Last three posters were correct. Tom Gonzalves plays a very disciplined system and it is sometimes difficult for their" off the ball players" to try to adjust to a helter skelter system. They are used to ball movement and team play. Some of her "out of control" actions for the USA team appeared to me to simply be acts of frustration at the lack of team play. I remember it took Sabrina Ionesco -who plays for a similar coach and system- a summer and most of the next season to get rid of the bad habits ( lack of team play) she developed under that USA coach.

One other thing about the St Mary's system- They play the type of tempo ( high motor) that Aquira displays. If they don't ( no matter who it is ) they find themselves riding the pine. The practices are insanely intense. Players who come out of that program are as ready for a high caliber D1 program as it gets.

Sounds like she is well prepared for UConn practices...............hope she will consider coming east to develop her game to it's fullest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom