OT: - "April showers bring May..." wait, what? | The Boneyard

OT: "April showers bring May..." wait, what?

Reaction Score
Just checked the forecast for the next couple days...Head bang
maywather.png

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
We have hit the 90's in Tucson, pretty consistent now, and most of the nights in the 60's. Actually a time of year I like, before the monsoon sets in, so humidity is very low, but evenings are still quite pleasant. Had a couple of 100 degree days, but not yet to the point of having them consistently. Average for this time of year is probably about 90 or a few degrees above.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Here in Pugetopolis we're on pace for one of the coldest springs in recorded history. I think it would take less than the fingers on 1 hand to count the number of days it's hit 60 so far. Mid 50s is pretty warm comparatively still.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Here in Pugetopolis we're on pace for one of the coldest springs in recorded history. I think it would take less than the fingers on 1 hand to count the number of days it's hit 60 so far. Mid 50s is pretty warm comparatively still.
Hey, I'm going to be in your neck of the woods in October. We're doing a Puget Sound cruise. Any weather advice?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Hey, I'm going to be in your neck of the woods in October. We're doing a Puget Sound cruise. Any weather advice?
October is usually nice, but a bit unpredictable. I'd say bring clothes to be prepared for just about anything. Can get cool and rainy, but also could be sunny with day time highs well into the 70s. Definitely cools off at night. October is definitely a better month to visit than November or December! Have fun. Hopefully you'll get to see some orcas and other cool critters in the Sound.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
October is usually nice, but a bit unpredictable. I'd say bring clothes to be prepared for just about anything. Can get cool and rainy, but also could be sunny with day time highs well into the 70s. Definitely cools off at night. October is definitely a better month to visit than November or December! Have fun. Hopefully you'll get to see some orcas and other cool critters in the Sound.
Looking forward to the trip! Sounds like I need the big suitcase

Reaction Score
Unreal. I was in Florida on vacation and I couldn't believe the weather here when I got home Saturday. This is late July/early August weather.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
jerry sez 'look to the cookie.' nonsense. i say 'look to the king of observation!'
hey! sam from the block! what say u aboot the weather round here?
marktwain1.jpg

and,
3724924-Mark-Twain-Quote-If-you-don-t-like-the-weather-in-New-England-now.jpg

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Unreal. I was in Florida on vacation and I couldn't believe the weather here when I got home Saturday. This is late July/early August weather.
saturday was sumthin else around coastal New England. yeppers, nutz.
1000s headin to the surf, mass arrests up in Mass, New Hampshire - spring fever, writ large. 600 or so teens at one beach, getting jiggy, rowdy, and drunk. call the cops. revere beach, i think.
sum pals ring us up - 'hey, why don't youse meet us at hammy?'
good idea! getting close, we see that hammy is busting out with cars, but we get in cuz we got a few tricks up our sleeves. (it's going to be a busy, busy summer at the beaches- folks desperate to get out). apparently, pantloads of folks from upcountry, very hot places, thought that becuz it was 80 or 90 where they came from, it was also going to be 80 or 90 at meigs point. they forgot that the ocean and river temps were not. not even close. sea fog, ice breezes, cloudy, the whole shebang.
cool scenes all around.
'if you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a few minutes...'
or, just drive to somewhere where it ain't, usually just a few minutes away.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
jerry sez 'look to the cookie.' nonsense. i say 'look to the king of observation!'
hey! sam from the block! what say u aboot the weather round here?
marktwain1.jpg

and,
3724924-Mark-Twain-Quote-If-you-don-t-like-the-weather-in-New-England-now.jpg

We say that about the weather in the Northwest as well (the wait a few minutes thing).

However, I have to protest. That picture is NOT New England. I have a bit of a thing about geographical appropriation.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We say that about the weather in the Northwest as well (the wait a few minutes thing).

However, I have to protest. That picture is NOT New England. I have a bit of a thing about geographical appropriation.
The second one is definitely not but the first picture could be

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The second one is definitely not but the first picture could be
Yes referring to the second pic. I think it's Mt. Assinboine in Alberta, Canada, but even if it isn't the glaciers are a dead give away it's nowhere near the eastern U.S.

Reaction Score
Nan, in 2010, my late wife, Karen and I went with two friends on a wonderful bare boat charter cruise on the 46 foot Grand Banks Classic MV Maraboutee out of Bellingham to the San Juan Islands. It was fabulous! We went in June, and the weather was bell-ringing gorgeous! I have only been on Puget Sound in the Summer, but I have spent time in the Fall on Mercer Island, Lake Washington, where my son lives. I recall October as having mild Fall weather, not too much rain. As you probably know, the San Juans are in a rain shadow. We had no rain during our week in June.

Have a great time! In October I’ll be on a sailing “yacht” on the Nile in Egypt thinking about you on Puget Sound(well thinking about you a little bit, but mostly thinking about Cleopatra and King Tut!)

Reaction Score
If you see Hercule Poirot on your yacht, you should probably be nervous. :rolleyes:
Hopefully, if I see Hercule onboard it means the crime has already been committed and he’s there to solve it; and I am not the victim. It’s a small boat - 13 other passengers and a crew of 15. The company I use is pretty well connected in the countries they work in; so I am not too worried about safety.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'However, I have to protest. That picture is NOT New England. I have a bit of a thing about geographical appropriation.'
u may be right. i searched for ol sam's words of wisdom with a pic, and
that was one of my choices. when i search for any pic of a locale, i usually choose one that is either factual or one that feels representative to me. on that photo, my first impression was 'above the treeline,' and not the shape of the peak. above the treeline occurs in more than few places in New England, tho mostly in Maine. here's 'knife's edge' trail at Katahdin:
mountain-peak-and-alpine-trail-pamola-peak-katahdin-maine-800x800.jpg

no trees, yet with a rounded crest.
here's Katahdin looking more beastly in all her glory. if i worked at it, i could prolly recall, or find an image of a peak around here with no trees, and a pointy top. that's why i felt the image could be representative of my first hand knowledge.
58ce63bd3022dfb015066fb9b0f2e2bb.jpg

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
aboot the same distance from New Haven, iffn u head north instead of south to Orlando, u'll get this,
Mount-Caubvick-768x515.jpg

Mount Caubvick/ D'Iberville, up in Quebec territory. u'll also get the pointy peaks, no trees, and ice stuff. aboot the same elevation as Katahdin.
iffn the old gang didn't wuss out on helping local boy ethan allen with his plans, this area would also be part of New England. oh well.
looks like Nepal if you ask me. right here in the back yard.
img_3282.jpg

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Chez Bigboote, in Maryland, was 93 on Sunday and it topped out at 60 today. It's not the swings one sees further north and inland, but it's really a PITA when one is trying to get acclimatized to the summer. As I age, I need to be more and more careful about overheating myself. I've pretty much stopped any distance running in the summer after an "incident" (not serious but sure woke this heat lover up) 5 or so years ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom