APR: UConn women only 980? | The Boneyard

APR: UConn women only 980?

Reaction Score
The Hartford Courant reports this morning that the Men's Basketball program received a perfect 1,000 for its APR (Academic Progress Rate) for the third time in 4 years. What puzzled me was that the women only received a 980. I thought all of Geno's girls graduated. Am I missing something?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think it has other components, not just graduation rate. Maybe transfers out in the middle of the season (Boykin) hurt it?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The Hartford Courant reports this morning that the Men's Basketball program received a perfect 1,000 for its APR (Academic Progress Rate) for the third time in 4 years. What puzzled me was that the women only received a 980. I thought all of Geno's girls graduated. Am I missing something?

Per the NCAA:

The APR is calculated as follows:
  • Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one point for staying in school and one point for being academically eligible.
  • A team’s total points are divided by points possible and then multiplied by 1,000 to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate.
  • In addition to a team’s current-year APR, its rolling four-year APR is also used to determine accountability.
Currently, teams must earn a 930 four-year average APR or a 940 average over the most recent two years to participate in NCAA championships. In 2015-16 and beyond, teams must earn a four-year APR of 930 to compete in championships.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There's a tongue in cheek thread on the men's board talking about how "Kevin" does things the right way and Geno is sacrificing academics for athletic success.
;)

Reaction Score
And over on that thread I suggested it might reflect something involving De'Janae Boykin, whom Geno mentioned was having academic difficulty, since it was last year's academic performance.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I believe that even if a player transfers out, her academic standing is reflected in the original school's APR. I think.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We a mixing up apples (APR formula), kiwis (graduation rates) & coconuts (transfers).
@SVCBeercats has posted APR formula.
Geno graduation rate of 100% has always been qualified by "players that have stayed 4 years".
The only thing know about Sadie & De'Janae is that they transferred after a semester of academic work at UCONN.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Geno hasn't had a perfect APR for a number of years. Haven't been able to determine the player(s) that have caused the reduction. Its not something the press is willing to discuss in any of their blogs/columns

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geno hasn't had a perfect APR for a number of years. Haven't been able to determine the player(s) that have caused the reduction. Its not something the press is willing to discuss in any of their blogs/columns
Someone state that transfers negatively impacted the calculation. I'm not motivated enough to look it up but I thought that wasn't an issue so long as they were in good standing.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A program loses a retention point if a student-athlete transfers out with a GPA less than 2.6. Meanwhile, if a student-athlete leaves early for a professional career the school does not lose a retention point as long as the student-athlete is in good academic standing (generally a 2.0 GPA).

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Nor should they. But if SVC is correct, then it would either be players not playing (due to grades) or someone that transfers and wasn't eligible because of academics that next semester.

Not a big deal at 98%. Would be curious if any basketball teams are having issues with this requirement, since it has been around long enough to be clearly understood.

Reaction Score
Nor should they. But if SVC is correct, then it would either be players not playing (due to grades) or someone that transfers and wasn't eligible because of academics that next semester.

No. See UConnCat's post above. The scenario cited, where a player transfers out with a GPA below 2.6 is likely what happened, as opposed to a player transferring out while academically ineligible. Per NCAA rules, had any player transferred while academically ineligible, that player could not have received financial aid, i.e. a scholarship, at her new school for the first year.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
No. See UConnCat's post above. The scenario cited, where a player transfers out with a GPA below 2.6 is likely what happened, as opposed to a player transferring out while academically ineligible. Per NCAA rules, had any player transferred while academically ineligible, that player could not have received financial aid, i.e. a scholarship, at her new school for the first year.
Thanks. Didn't understand her post - even if I should have - until you repeated it, nor did I know your additional information although it makes perfect sense.

Reaction Score
As I read the rules and the example provided by the NCAA the APR is based on 1) in school and 2) academically eligible for the entire year for each student athlete on financial aide.

Each player earns two points: one point for staying in school and one point for being academically eligible.

I can think of no UConn WBB player for the last 20 years who did not maintain eligibility. As someone stated earlier a student cannot transfer if they are academically ineligible at the releasing school.

However apparently "staying in school" means staying at UConn so if a student tranfers in the middle of the year as opposed to at the end of the year then the school loses that point. The NCAA has an exception for that rule maybe that is where the 2.6 comes in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom