OT: Apple Airpods | The Boneyard

OT: Apple Airpods

Reaction Score
Looking to get my brother a high school graduation gift - considering how much time college kids spend in libraries these days I figured headphones would be a good idea. Any experience with the Apple airpods? How is the sound quality? They seem more versatile than buying a pair of beats. Thanks for the advice.

Reaction Score
ill give u the lowdown since i recently purchased them
if you don't have an iphone x, then forget it. the battery drains like crazy.
they're super super convenient and definitely worth the price tag if you're willing to sacrifice battery life for good headphones that seamlessly connect by just sticking them in your ear.
overall, good quality ( a bit bass boosted ) convenience is why you're paying like 160 for them

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I have the Bose Soundsport Wireless. I use them for active sports and they are great. They are big though but don't have the little penuses sticking out of the bottom, I agree the Apple Buds look stupid. There is a lag when you watch movies or videos though - I think its a problem with all wireless headphones.

The case also recharges the earphnes.

As an alternative the JBirds are also great and cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/Jaybird-Wire...ie=UTF8&qid=1527615563&sr=1-1&keywords=JBirds

Reaction Score
DO NOT BUY APPLE AIRPODS! I bought mine about a year ago and have to go to the apple store about once a month to get them repaired because one side always shorts out. Everyone I know also has this problem that has airpods. Buy some other brand like beats, way better than apple.

Reaction Score
I have the Bose Soundsport Wireless. I use them for active sports and they are great. They are big though but don't have the little penuses sticking out of the bottom, I agree the Apple Buds look stupid. There is a lag when you watch movies or videos though - I think its a problem with all wireless headphones.

https://www.amazon.com/Jaybird-Wire...ie=UTF8&qid=1527615563&sr=1-1&keywords=JBirds

I also have the bose soundsport wireless ear buds and I completely regret it. I live in NYC and the max volume is not nearly high enough for my liking due to the noise of traffic/subways etc. When I use them on airplanes, I again and am left wanting a couple more notches to listen to movies/shows.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
I also have the bose soundsport wireless ear buds and I completely regret it. I live in NYC and the max volume is not nearly high enough for my liking due to the noise of traffic/subways etc. When I use them on airplanes, I again and am left wanting a couple more notches to listen to movies/shows.
I know its a first world problem. I have the QuietComfort earphones with noise canceling for planes and noisy areas!
Bose® QuietComfort® 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones — Samsung and Android™ devices

But to repeat the JayBird are really great and are on the 3rd iteration so they have most of the bugs worked out - adequate sound and fairly good noise avoidance - you just have a thin wire connecting them.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
For that price get some headphones he's less likely to lose or break. I have Airpods and I love them they are by far the best headphones for convenience for the price. A nice pair of Bose headphones would be best IMO for a college student.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Looking to get my brother a high school graduation gift - considering how much time college kids spend in libraries these days I figured headphones would be a good idea. Any experience with the Apple airpods? How is the sound quality? They seem more versatile than buying a pair of beats. Thanks for the advice.

I like them quite a bit. Getting rid of any length of cord was a bigger deal than I thought it would be.

I don’t notice the sound being any better or worse than other earbuds I’ve used. Definitely not noise-cancelling in any sense. I do not know how I’ve managed not to lose them, but I haven’t.

What I like about them:

1) Comfortable. Somehow, they stay in when I run. “Cord slap” from anything with wires used to drive me nuts.
2) Battery life. Charges quickly in the case as well. They don’t drain your phone’s battery - that’s nonsensical.
3) Waterproof. They’re not advertised as being waterproof, but I have sent mine through the wash and dry cycle three times and no ill-effects. I also ran the case over with the car. They are apparently indestructible.
4) The signal does not drop out which was an issue with some of the bluetooth sets I’ve had.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Buy them. Potentially one of Apple's biggest homeruns since the original iPhone. They just work. In my opinion, they sound better than the wired version. Dealing with any other bluetooth device after using AirPods is a cruel reminder of how horrific it is.

Reaction Score
I’m not a Bud fan ( even though I’m wearing them now I multitask)
I have Wireless over the ear Beats
The’re comfortable
Bose noise canceling wireless unbelievable sound shuts out the world .
My wife banned their use when she is home.
But my go to pair are my 66 BTS pro’s (off brand )They stay on and are water resistant .
They have a battery life of weeks and a range in excess of 150 ft.
Buds are convient for travel but don’t stay in during workouts but I might be interested in a pair for travel.
I have an IPhone 6s
How long is the battery life ?

Reaction Score
I like them quite a bit. Getting rid of any length of cord was a bigger deal than I thought it would be.

I don’t notice the sound being any better or worse than other earbuds I’ve used. Definitely not noise-cancelling in any sense. I do not know how I’ve managed not to lose them, but I haven’t.

What I like about them:

1) Comfortable. Somehow, they stay in when I run. “Cord slap” from anything with wires used to drive me nuts.
2) Battery life. Charges quickly in the case as well. They don’t drain your phone’s battery - that’s nonsensical.
3) Waterproof. They’re not advertised as being waterproof, but I have sent mine through the wash and dry cycle three times and no ill-effects. I also ran the case over with the car. They are apparently indestructible.
4) The signal does not drop out which was an issue with some of the bluetooth sets I’ve had.

I echo these thoughts, though I can’t say I’ve ever run over the charging case with my car.

One thing I was worried about was how one of my ear lobes is shaped slightly different than the other, where previous headphones would always jar loose in that ear. These headphones don’t do that. They use your ear lobe like a fulcrum, and as you alluded: the lack of wires changes everything.

I’m not a Bud fan ( even though I’m wearing them now I multitask)
I have Wireless over the ear Beats
The’re comfortable
Bose noise canceling wireless unbelievable sound shuts out the world .
My wife banned their use when she is home.
But my go to pair are my 66 BTS pro’s (off brand )They stay on and are water resistant .
They have a battery life of weeks and a range in excess of 150 ft.
Buds are convient for travel but don’t stay in during workouts but I might be interested in a pair for travel.
I have an IPhone 6s
How long is the battery life ?

My experience has been that the AirPods last about two hours of talk time from 100 to 0%, but when you take them off, they should go back into their case, which charges them back up at a considerably fast rate. When they’re used to listen to music, they’re good for about 5 hours. The case can be used 3x to full charge them back from 0 to 100% before it needing to be recharged itself.

Reaction Score

You might need to update the firmware. I did that and they performed much better.

I also have Air Pods but bought the Bose because they stay in my ears better. I can use the Air Pods sitting on a plane or train but when walking around I’m constantly pushing them into my ears because they feel like they are going to fall out.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
You might need to update the firmware. I did that and they performed much better.

I also have Air Pods but bought the Bose because they stay in my ears better. I can use the Air Pods sitting on a plane or train but when walking around I’m constantly pushing them into my ears because they feel like they are going to fall out.
Thanks, I'll try the update!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I've had these for a while and like them a lot. They're the least conspicuous ones out there, I think. And they don't fall out, even when I run outside. Sound quality is good if not super loud.

I have to clean them out semi-frequently, or the left bud will stop talking to the right, but I don't think you'll find any wireless buds that are perfect.

Before I bought these, I had Jaybird headphones, which were Bluetooth but not completely cordless (corded together but not to the phone) -- fantastic product, but they really slipped out of my ears a lot whenever I ran. The Bragi ones fit like a glove, and barely stick out of my ears, which makes up for their other faults, at least for me. YMMV.

Edit: Here's Wirecutter's review of the Air Buds and other wireless buds:

The Best True Wireless Headphones So Far

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Major consideration when buying air pods.

You look like a complete when you are wearing them.

When these came out, I had two immediate thoughts.

(1) You look like a complete tool when wearing them.
(2) Everyone will soon be wearing them.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
When these came out, I had two immediate thoughts.

(1) You look like a complete tool when wearing them.
(2) Everyone will soon be wearing them.

Who knew Bluetooth Bro would eventually win out?

bluetooth+loser.jpg

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Best purchase I have ever made, hands down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom