Appalling Journalistic Crime | The Boneyard

Appalling Journalistic Crime

pj

Reaction Score
So if the journalists deceive the public by keeping their preferences secret, that's better? Nothing wrong with an honest journalist.

Reaction Score
Print writers openly rooting for a team has always been frowned upon in the press box at any sporting event. For them, this is really breaking their rules.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Print writers openly rooting for a team has always been frowned upon in the press box at any sporting event. For them, this is really breaking their rules.

Beat writers are notorious for being fans of the team and often fairly biased. It comes with the territory of spending 24/7 around the team, and catering to a unipolar audience of rabid fans.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yeah, no journalists, especially those covering politics, are slanted:confused:Head bang

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

That’s just stupid. It’s sports, not anything important. I would expect most of them to be fans, otherwise why would they become sports writers? Nobody believes they are neutral. Nobody believes any journalists are neutral at this point.

Reaction Score
Beat writers are notorious for being fans of the team and often fairly biased. It comes with the territory of spending 24/7 around the team, and catering to a unipolar audience of rabid fans.

That’s just stupid. It’s sports, not anything important. I would expect most of them to be fans, otherwise why would they become sports writers? Nobody believes they are neutral. Nobody believes any journalists are neutral at this point.

I never said that sports writers are neutral. I'm sure that many root for teams that they cover. What I said is that it is an unwritten rule in the press box that writers working the game do not vocally root for a team while a game is being played. It is considered unprofessional. That is what the tweet that was posted at the beginning of this thread is all about. I heard about this unwritten rule a number of years ago and on a number of occasions. Also, my wife is a newspaper reporter (not sports), and knows the sports reporters on her paper. I asked her about whether this rule still exists. She told me yes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I never said that sports writers are neutral. I'm sure that many root for teams that they cover. What I said that it is an unwritten rule in the press box that writers working the game do not vocally root for a team while a game is being played. It is considered unprofessional. That is what the tweet that was posted at the beginning of this thread is all about. I heard about this unwritten rule a number of years ago and on a number of occasions. Also, my wife is a newspaper reporter, and knows the sports reporters on her paper. I asked her about whether this rule still exists. She told me yes.

I’ve been in working press boxes around college football and have seen placards @ each seat stating such from the Football Writers of America Association. Actively cheering/chanting can get you tossed. (I seem to remember there was an issue in the NHL a few years back).

Reaction Score
I’ve been in working press boxes around college football and have seen placards @ each seat stating such from the Football Writers of America Association. Actively cheering/chanting can get you tossed. (I seem to remember there was an issue in the NHL a few years back).

So it is more than an unwritten rule.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom