OT - AP to practice and play this week | The Boneyard

OT - AP to practice and play this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Vikings will continue to monitor situation.

As a Vikings fan I am torn on this.
I dont agree with what he did and have learned that the practice of using a 'switch' is allowable if you dont leave marks...
With that being said AP is and should take a hit for this - you cant treat children that way even if it was how you were raised.

There is some articles out there about trading him - they will not release - who is going to trade for him besides Jerry Jones! Make the call now - Cassel and AP for Murray and Romo.

:-0

EDIT -
In Texas, Grant said, "parents are entitled to discipline their children as they see fit, except when that discipline exceeds what the community would say is reasonable." In Peterson's case, Grant said, the grand jury found Peterson's discipline exceeded a reasonable standard.

Reaction Score
I think the whole thing is crazy. My dad used to spank me with a yardstick (the New England equivalent of a switch). I have no problem with this practice. It is strong corporal punishment and it works - I know. Throwing my father in jail would have been unwarranted and just plain stupid.

As long as discipline is dispensed by a loving parent with restraint and a positive purpose (and clear communication) I have no problem with it.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I think the whole thing is crazy. My dad used to spank me with a yardstick (the New England equivalent of a switch). I have no problem with this practice. It is strong corporal punishment and it works - I know. Throwing my father in jail would have been unwarranted and just plain stupid.

As long as discipline is dispensed by a loving parent with restraint and a positive purpose (and clear communication) I have no problem with it.

The wooden spoon.

Reaction Score
I've decided that anyone who thinks this case is relevant to the use of corporal punishment is too stupid to live. If you draw blood, you're abusing your child, and whether you think spanking or a couple of swats with a belt is ok doesn't matter.

Reaction Score
violence against anyone is not a good thing. However, violence against a young child is worse than violence against an adult. An adult can better defend themselves and has a much easier time to leave the situation after one violent act. I believe the NFL (owners, commissioners, sponsors) should send a message to both of the players. It appears Rice will struggle to get on another team. Everything is up in the air with Peterson. Obviously the Vikings want to get as much out of him while the team can.

Reaction Score

Um. His kid was 4 years old.

Reaction Score
I don't particularly care. He's not on my fantasy team and he doesn't play for my favorite team. Let him beat his meat and go quietly.

Reaction Score
Hard to believe some of these "spare the rod, spoil the child" comments. Charles Barkley? Who would ever advocate for parents disciplining their children in a tough, physical, abusive manner? Open hand spanking on a child's bottom is the only means of corporal punishment that should ever deserve any possibility of acceptance. Striking a small child with wooden spoons, rulers, wire hangers, belts, switches, tree branches---or punches, violent shaking, and/or throwing a child across a room are all unacceptable. I'd love to know who among you that would ever use any of those on your small child? Forget about what your father did to you. Society advances. So should we all. "That's what we do in our community" is an unacceptable answer when kids are beaten. Thank you for your attention. My sermon is now over.

Reaction Score

My father did stupid Pleistocene t too but unlike you I neither condone it nor did I repeat it with my own son.

If one thinks smacking a kid is an act of love they have no clue what love is.

It's 2014 not and hopefully most knuckle draggers have become enlightened to the fact that smacking your kid does not make them more obedient or better people...............

rather it makes them fearful and more likely to find someone/something they too can smack around be it a younger weaker child, sister-girl friend-wife, or four legged friend.

It's archaic and to argue otherwise is .........just dumb.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score

I had my step-father thrown in Jail for a night after he beat me. Lets just say the beatings stopped after that after one simple phone call. There are other ways to punish children and it's up to the parent to be creative and safe when applying discipline.

Reaction Score
I got hit with a yard stick by my father, and would get spankings by my mother, but never at age 4 nothing to leave a mark, if I ever misbehaved at that age I would have food taken away from me.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I got hit with a yard stick by my father, and would get spankings by my mother, but never at age 4 nothing to leave a mark, if I ever misbehaved at that age I would have food taken away from me.

Your parents starved you?? JK :)

I have NEVER hit the kids although I received belt and spoon as one - just never felt the need.

My kids are now a bit older - electronics removal is BOSS - take a iPhone away from a 13 year old daughter is like the end of the world - Trust Me!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Explain to me how this isn't covered under the Domestic Violence policy that was supposedly just "strengthened?" Peterson should have to miss 6 games. Done. The NFL does not have to wait for the slow wheels of justice. The NFL has suspended players longer who have done less. Grow a set, Goodell!!!

Zimmer should take it upon himself to deactivate Peterson.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
Italian, wooden spoon- yup that was my house as well. If you were called by your full name, just run for the hills. In my household today, that wooden spoon is in the drawer or used for cooking purposes.

Former Vikings CB Chris Cook a couple years back, gets suspended indefinitely without pay for assulting his girlfriend. Yes, he was acquitted but was still suspended immediately after being charged. Glad to see that Ziggy taking the high road on this incident. Yeah, let the legal process take its course.What BS- sad, very sad.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...suspended-allegedly-tried-strangle-girlfriend

Bonehead

Reaction Score
so - I will assume I will never see AP in Purple again - NFL maybe too.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Vikings probably won't cut him, but Peterson did admit to smoking dope. My guess is his season is over and he will be allowed to come back next year.

Reaction Score
When well earned, and yes, absolutely deserved reprimands could be a tad bit more physical, my old man occasionally showed his UCONN alumni spirit. A back-hand to the back of the head from a big, gold University of Connecticut ring left a mark. Symbolically and literally, I earned the few I received through the years. Today, my father could be charged albeit I definitely deserved those very few back hands. Go Huskies! ;)

Reaction Score
My grandfather used to hit my Dad, who was one of 6 boys, with a belt. That was OK then. My Mom used to spank me, at least until I turned 12 and laughed because I was bigger than her by then. That was OK then. Heck, I would go with my Dad to Home Depot when I was 10 and I would stay in the car and read a book because he too forever in that place. That was OK In the 80's; but, it would get me arrested today if I allowed my son to stay behind. Things change and AP should have known better that what his Dad did to him 20 year ago may not be the right thing to do today. He needs to pay the penalty for such.

Reaction Score
The wooden spoon.
Belt, hanger, broom stick and a phone once when I threatened to call the cops. It was being taught in schools that your parents "can't hit you".

I deserved it every time, and plently of times I got away with it. These days if you swat your kid on the ass with an open hand God Forbid the kid and has a bruise on his ass from falling down playing, it will cause a DCF investigation. Want to know why the younger generation has become so damn disrespectful, parents don't discipline their kids the way older generations did. I'm not talking about physically abusing a kid till he bleeds or suffers bruises all over his body, but a good spanking goes a long way. When your mom/parents just looked at you and you knew what was coming if you didn't chill out, that was a good thing on all fronts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom