AP rankings 11/26 | The Boneyard

AP rankings 11/26

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
No change in the top 11 teams. (The only loss among them was #9 Oregon State to #1 Notre Dame.)

South Carolina drops from #13 to #18 after losing to Oregon State and Drake.

#17 South Florida and #21 Missouri tumble out of the top 25.
Former #25 West Virginia also slips out by a small margin.

Debuting in top 25: Iowa State (23), Drake (24), Kentucky (25).

Rather surprising that Iowa only drops 2 spots, from #12 to #14, after losing to Florida State.

Cal seems WAY overranked at #15.

Here you can see how each voter voted:
AP Top 25 Women’s Basketball Poll, Week 4 (2018-19)

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
1543257418025.png

Reaction Score
No change in the top 11 teams. (The only loss among them was #9 Oregon State to #1 Notre Dame.)

South Carolina drops from #13 to #18 after losing to Oregon State and Drake.

#17 South Florida and #21 Missouri tumble out of the top 25.
Former #25 West Virginia also slips out by a small margin.

Debuting in top 25: Iowa State (23), Drake (24), Kentucky (25).

Rather surprising that Iowa only drops 2 spots, from #12 to #14, after losing to Florida State.

Cal seems WAY overranked at #15.

Here you can see how each voter voted:
AP Top 25 Women’s Basketball Poll, Week 4 (2018-19)
Why do I think #6 Miss St and #7 MD would kill #5 Lville? L’ville did beat #19 Az St by 2

Reaction Score
in the scheme of things do these ratings really even matter in November?

Might not matter to you, but I’d imagine it helps with whatever recruiting occurs in November. I believe many coaches have incentive bonuses written in their contracts for every appearance in the Top 25. The press for being Top 25 can’t hurt attendance. Lots of good stuff like that.

Plebe

Reaction Score
in the scheme of things do these ratings really even matter in November?
In the grand scheme of things, does any of this matter? It's just a game, after all.

But in terms of basketball, I'd argue that the current rankings are more impactful on the here-and-now than, for example, the endless teeth-gnashing over a high school student's choice of future college.

Reaction Score
In the grand scheme of things, does any of this matter? It's just a game, after all.

But in terms of basketball, I'd argue that the current rankings are more impactful on the here-and-now than, for example, the endless teeth-gnashing over a high school student's choice of future college.

the teeth gnashing yes....................the recruit's actual decision no............................the only rankings that matter are the final rankings for the season.........................all the others change like the weather

Plebe

Reaction Score
the teeth gnashing yes.....the recruit's actual decision no........the only rankings that matter are the final rankings for the season.....all the others change like the weather
Really? The final rankings matter? I almost never hear people talk about "such and such team finished last season ranked # whatever in the polls." By the end of the season people only talk about how teams finish in their respective conference tournaments and/or NCAA tournament. But until those happen, the weekly rankings give us junkies something fun and nerdy to talk about.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I think attendance can be effected. Most people won't go to bad movies, bad restaurants or bad sporting events. It's all about the money. You can buy a cheaper hotdog and drink and I don't have to sit through an uneventful game.....at least that's most peoples take on it. Rankings add excitement so the hotdogs and drinks don't "seem" to cost as much !

Reaction Score
I'm with Charliebball on this one. The rankings, especially this early, are essentially meaningless and affect nothing, least of all recruiting decisions. Even if I could be proved wrong on that score, the very process of making these ranking decisions is inherently flawed by so many highly questionable assessments by the so-called experts. For example, I would name no less than a half-dozen "ranked" teams that I'd readily wager St. John's would beat handily!

Reaction Score
I'm with Charliebball on this one. The rankings, especially this early, are essentially meaningless and affect nothing, least of all recruiting decisions. Even if I could be proved wrong on that score, the very process of making these ranking decisions is inherently flawed by so many highly questionable assessments by the so-called experts. For example, I would name no less than a half-dozen "ranked" teams that I'd readily wager St. John's would beat handily!

The rankings must be pretty meaningful if they can bring out the sour grapes in some people. So go ahead and name at least 6 current Top 25 teams you guarantee that St John’s can beat handily.

Reaction Score
The rankings must be pretty meaningful if they can bring out the sour grapes in some people. So go ahead and name at least 6 current Top 25 teams you guarantee that St John’s can beat handily.
Oh, my...
Since, as it seems, you fail to grasp the fundamental concept here, I’m going to see if I can walk you through it:
You see, the idea behind fora such as this one is to offer a platform via which folks who share a common interest, in this case WCBB in general and UConn WBB in particular, can opine on a variety of related topics...opine being the operative word. You have opined supportively, for example, about the notion of rankings. That’s fine, though if you offer an opinion about such a subject here, I think it’s best that you refrain from being either so insecure or thin-skinned as to accuse any who fail to share your opinion as harboring “sour grapes,” especially if they do not reference your opinion directly, as I did not. Vent your opinion, sure, but ya gotta be a big boy (or girl?) about it.
As to your employment of the word “guarantee,” one must inquire how you made out on the reading comprehension section of your SAT’s?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom