Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, there are three things UConn can do about not being #1:

1. Win Saturday
2. Win 2/9/2015
3. Win six games in a row in the 2015 NCAA tournament.

Anything other than those action items is simply not worth discussing. At all. Not even a little bit.

Reaction Score

1. Win Saturday
2. Win 2/9/2015

Anything other than those action items is simply not worth discussing. At all. Not even a little bit.

You mean we can't even discuss the teams in free fall ? That's taking a lot of the fun out of it.

Reaction Score

1. Win Saturday
2. Win 2/9/2015

I think the winner of UCONN-ND on Saturday will be #1 next week.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
You mean we can't even discuss the teams in free fall ? That's taking a lot of the fun out of it.

It's always fun when it's certain teams. The topic of UConn's ranking specifically is what's a non-issue. At least UConn controls its own destiny.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think the winner of UCONN-ND on Saturday will be #1 next week.

What would be the argument for dropping SC if they beat Duke on their home court? How many teams have been dropped out of the number 1 ranking without losing a game?

Because 2 beats 3, or 3 beats 2 suddenly makes them a better team that number 1?

Reaction Score
What would be the argument for dropping SC if they beat Duke on their home court? How many teams have been dropped out of the number 1 ranking without losing a game?

Because 2 beats 3, or 3 beats 2 suddenly makes them a better team that number 1?

I guess I better stop thinking.---------------------

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
To me it doesn't matter. Yes it does matter. Right now UConn is the team to beat. Kia Nurse and Morgan Tuck have made UConn a powerhouse. SC OOC schedule is not strong. Yes they do have a tuffer conference schedule then UConn but its not ND Stanford Tuff. Give SC number 1 and we will be waiting at Storrs for them on Feb 9. This weekend UConn regained its invincible title and ND (Nothing Doing ) is in for a shock this weekend.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
To me it doesn't matter. Yes it does matter. Right now UConn is the team to beat. Kia Nurse and Morgan Tuck have made UConn a powerhouse. SC OOC schedule is not strong. Yes they do have a tuffer conference schedule then UConn but its not ND Stanford Tuff. Give SC number 1 and we will be waiting at Storrs for them on Feb 9. This weekend UConn regained its invincible title and ND (Nothing Doing ) is in for a shock this weekend.

As a program that has retained the number 1 ranking many, many times, I would think that UCONN fans recognize that owning the number 1 ranking is results driven. UCONN had the number 1 ranking but lost it with that loss to Stanford. It has to be earned back, not just handed back because the starting lineup has changed. Beating ND is a very good start. And if SC loses at Duke then UCONN is back at number 1.

I agree that the lineup change has made UCONN the strongest team in the nation, but that has to be proven on the court.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I would think that UCONN fans recognize that owning the number 1 ranking is results driven.

It's all subjective. You say earn but what have the teams in front of UConn done to earn their spots? ND has one fairly close win over a good team (Mich St), and a blowout win over a decent team (Chattanooga). SC has one very close win over a decent/solid team (Syracuse). UConn has two wins over decent teams (GB, Vandy), and one OT road loss to a good team (Stanford) that they lead 98% of the time. Is South Carolina's near loss victory over Syracuse on a neutral court more impressive than UConn's near victory loss at Stanford?

BTW, I'm not arguing that UConn should be #1, just that the voting is quite subjective.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It's all subjective. You say earn but what have the teams in front of UConn done to earn their spots? ND has one fairly close win over a good team (Mich St), and a blowout win over a decent team (Chattanooga). SC has one very close win over a decent/solid team (Syracuse). UConn has two wins over decent teams (GB, Vandy), and one OT road loss to a good team (Stanford) that they lead 98% of the time. Is South Carolina's near loss victory over Syracuse on a neutral court more impressive than UConn's near victory loss at Stanford?

BTW, I'm not arguing that UConn should be #1, just that the voting is quite subjective.

So you are saying Vanderbilt is on the same level as Syracuse ?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You say earn but what have the teams in front of UConn done to earn their spots?.

Won all of their games.

I've already said that I think UCONN is the best team since the lineup change but SC cannot be dropped unless they lose.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Or saying that Green-Bay, who lost in overtime to Vanderbilt, who lost to UConn by 40 pts, is decent/solid on the level of a top-25 ranked Syracuse? And then also throw in Vanderbilt on that level too: Vandy lost to Arizona State right after their loss to UConn. Arizona State also lost to.....Green-Bay.

Neither Vandy nor Green-Bay is ranked in the top 25. USC swept Vandy last season. But if UConn can beat them by less than 50 points, they must be solid opponents....

green bay gave UConn everything they could handle in the beginning of the game. they played tough, they executed well, and they never backed down, even when down by multiple 10's of points. I respect them a great deal, even if they are not a top 25 team, though it is important to note that they did garner votes this week. Not a bad team to watch and see how they do this season....

Reaction Score
Or saying that Green-Bay, who lost in overtime to Vanderbilt, who lost to UConn by 40 pts, is decent/solid on the level of a top-25 ranked Syracuse? And then also throw in Vanderbilt on that level too: Vandy lost to Arizona State right after their loss to UConn. Arizona State also lost to.....Green-Bay.

Neither Vandy nor Green-Bay is ranked in the top 25. USC swept Vandy last season. But if UConn can beat them by less than 50 points, they must be solid opponents....
I agree Vandy and Green Bay were cupcake games and, if we (UCONN fans) are talking ourselves into believing they offered a "test" anything close to the same universe next weekend's ND game will be, then we're in a dream world. Hopefully the team isn't.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

I figured there would be nits picked. I differentiated between Vandy and Syracuse, did I not? I referred to Vandy & GB as decent and Syracuse as decent/solid, probably slightly better than the two former. Just slightly. Sagarin has Syracuse and Green Bay 17th and 18th.

Won all of their games.

So have Nebraska, Princeton, Georgia, and Texas A&M, and all have won more games than the Gamecocks. Again, what has SC done better? Really nothing. They're ranked higher because the voters believe they are better than those other teams. Again, subjective, only partially results based.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I figured there would be nits picked. I differentiated between Vandy and Syracuse, did I not? I referred to Vandy & GB as decent and Syracuse as decent/solid, probably slightly better than the two former. Just slightly. Sagarin has Syracuse and Green Bay 17th and 18th.

So have Nebraska, Princeton, Georgia, and Texas A&M, and all have won more games than the Gamecocks. Again, what has SC done better? Really nothing. They're ranked higher because the voters believe they are better than those other teams. Again, subjective, only partially results based.

Sagarin also has Arkansas slightly ahead of both UNC and Stanford, and Princeton slightly ahead of TAMU :confused:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Both Green Bay and Vanderbilt have more impressive wins than Syracuse. Maybe Syracuse will prove to be the real deal rather than the paper tiger we came to know from its Big East days. For years Syracuse feasted on cupcakes in its OOC schedule. It has improved its OOC schedule this year with games against SCar and Baylor, and it plays MSU in the ACC/Big Ten challenge. But as of now, Syracuse wins have come against Fordham, Duquesne, Jacksonville, East Carolina and Vermont. It's worth pointing out that Syracuse beat Duqesne by 6 points while Green Bay defeated Duquesne by 32 points.

Green Bay would be ranked if not for the bias against mid-majors. As ESPN's Graham Hays pointed out today, the bottom 7 teams in the AP's top 25 have a combined 4 wins against major conferences while Green Bay has 4 wins against major conference teams by itself.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Both Green Bay and Vanderbilt have more impressive wins than Syracuse. Maybe Syracuse will prove to be the real deal rather than the paper tiger we came to know from its Big East days. For years Syracuse feasted on cupcakes in its OOC schedule. It has improved its OOC schedule this year with games against SCar and Baylor, and it plays MSU in the ACC/Big Ten challenge. But as of now, Syracuse wins have come against Fordham, Duquesne, Jacksonville, East Carolina and Vermont. It's worth pointing out that Syracuse beat Duqesne by 6 points while Green Bay defeated Duquesne by 32 points.

Green Bay would be ranked if not for the bias against mid-majors. As ESPN's Graham Hays pointed out today, the bottom 7 teams in the AP's top 25 have a combined 4 wins against major conferences while Green Bay has 4 wins against major conference teams by itself.

A wise woman indeed. ;)

I'll quit defending Syracuse for now...... and I'll put away that Orange shirt i was planning to wear :oops:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sagarin also has Arkansas slightly ahead of both UNC and Stanford, and Princeton slightly ahead of TAMU :confused:

I agree it's far from perfect, but so is voting. It's not like voters get to watch every game of all 300+ teams in Division 1.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
As a program that has retained the number 1 ranking many, many times, I would think that UCONN fans recognize that owning the number 1 ranking is results driven. UCONN had the number 1 ranking but lost it with that loss to Stanford. It has to be earned back, not just handed back because the starting lineup has changed. Beating ND is a very good start. And if SC loses at Duke then UCONN is back at number 1.

I agree that the lineup change has made UCONN the strongest team in the nation, but that has to be proven on the court.
Based on the way the polls are voted on SC and ND deserve their positions. Im just saying even with their one loss UConn is the best team in WCBB.

Reaction Score
Throughout the many weeks when UCONN was #1, how many times did they barely beat a low-ranked team, like SC did against Syracuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom