AP poll being delayed a day for Sc/ct game [Merged thread] | The Boneyard

AP poll being delayed a day for Sc/ct game [Merged thread]

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It still won't make my ballot any less confused. I thought last season was weird, but in terms of unexpected/random outcomes, the first few weeks of this season is totally baffling to me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The AP has announced that they will delay their WBB Poll for one day so that voters can take into account tomorrow’s game between #1 SC & #2 UConn. This will be only the 2nd time ever that the AP has delayed their WBB poll.

If you don’t know the first time the AP poll was delayed, you fail UConn WBB History class. On January 16, 1995, on Martin Luther King day, #1 TN paid a visit to Storrs, CT to play #2 UConn. The AP delayed their poll 1 day, pending the outcome of that game.

The Huskies won 77-66 to move to #1 in the polls, on their way to an undefeated season and their 1st of 11 national championships.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
it's a noon game in the middle of the work week. there's no hype here
I'm taking a late lunch so I can watch the second half. This game time was likely dictated by ESPN. Now they can say, "See, we had a 1 v 2 and hardly anyone watched." This game should have been in prime time.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I find this move by the AP...as I found the one a quarter century ago...a combo of appropriate/amusing and irrelevant.

Go UConn!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: We know that the UConn women have some unbelievable accomplishments...the 11-0 in NCAA championship games...the number of games without 2 losses in a row [going back to 1993...approaching 800 or so?] but one more is their record in 1/2 2/1 games...regardless of home/road/neutral court. I think it is something like 22-3!
How many programs have even played that many games...much less won so many at such a high percentage?
So...one more in that category today....somewhat realistically maybe 2 more before the season is over.

Reaction Score
BTW: We know that the UConn women have some unbelievable accomplishments...the 11-0 in NCAA championship games...the number of games without 2 losses in a row [going back to 1993...approaching 800 or so?] but one more is their record in 1/2 2/1 games...regardless of home/road/neutral court. I think it is something like 22-3!
How many programs have even played that many games...much less won so many at such a high percentage?
So...one more in that category today....somewhat realistically maybe 2 more before the season is over.
I do believe it's 1,026 games without back to back losses. I could be off by 1 or 2. This has got to be the strangest streak in all of sports...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The AP has announced that they will delay their WBB Poll for one day so that voters can take into account tomorrow’s game between #1 SC & #2 UConn. This will be only the 2nd time ever that the AP has delayed their WBB poll.

If you don’t know the first time the AP poll was delayed, you fail UConn WBB History class. On January 16, 1995, on Martin Luther King day, #1 TN paid a visit to Storrs, CT to play #2 UConn. The AP delayed their poll 1 day, pending the outcome of that game.

The Huskies won 77-66 to move to #1 in the polls, on their way to an undefeated season and their 1st of 11 national championships.
I was going to say, it worked (for UCONN) last time they did that. :D

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
So: we are officially on our second thousand run of not losing consectutive games.
This is the unofficial "anti-jinx" post.
I checked our upcoming schedule and in mid-December we play UCLA and Louisville in back-to-back games.
Hmm...Double Hmm!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So: we are officially on our second thousand run of not losing consectutive games.
This is the unofficial "anti-jinx" post.
I checked our upcoming schedule and in mid-December we play UCLA and Louisville in back-to-back games.
Hmm...Double Hmm!
I guess you haven’t watched either of those two teams play yet. Not worried.
To me, this forum tends to take to extreme’s either from the spoiled, entitled fans many of us have become or from the more subtle fan who has experience with less successful programs and understand how hard this really is to do.
Honestly, ESPN stepped up and bought the final from FloHoops recently so as this was the FloHoops schedule and Monday Night Football with both Manning’s broadcasting and the normal announcing, it was never logical to move this game. Also, the kids are on Break due to Thanksgiving so they are heading home right after the game, why make them wait 9 hours?

Reaction Score
I guess you haven’t watched either of those two teams play yet. Not worried.
To me, this forum tends to take to extreme’s either from the spoiled, entitled fans many of us have become or from the more subtle fan who has experience with less successful programs and understand how hard this really is to do.
Honestly, ESPN stepped up and bought the final from FloHoops recently so as this was the FloHoops schedule and Monday Night Football with both Manning’s broadcasting and the normal announcing, it was never logical to move this game. Also, the kids are on Break due to Thanksgiving so they are heading home right after the game, why make them wait 9 hours?
The team is not heading home after the game. They aren't leaving until Wednesday.

Reaction Score

Vowelguy knew what he was doing. Seeing how long it would be before people who lived ‘95 pointed out that the world of women’s basketball was front page news coast to coast. 27 years ago AP was still big time. And the burgeoning cable octopus had finally made it possible for us Vermonters from Storrs to watch the Kid With the Kneepads refuse to lose. Eight years BEFORE Diana said she hated the color Orange. Oldude knows this. Me too. How ‘bout you ? Where were you on that ordinary Martin Luther King Day ? Where did you watch ? By any chance were you at Gampel that historic day ?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I was fortunate enough to be there on that Monday. Geno has often said that it was the best crowd ever.
It was packed and back then there was a 'shiny newness' to the excellence of the program.
I do remember when LadyVol took the court that my impression was that they were taller/wider/tougher
than we were. We were quickly down 4-0...and I was worried...but they proved themselves human and we really did control most of the game. Pretty sure it was this game for the following: Rebecca fouled out with maybe 4 minutes to go and before she left the court she went over to Kara Wolters and gave her a fierce-looking lecture...I'm guessing it was about Kara being our only height left and to rebound the ball! Kara did as she was ordered to do. Post-game nobody wanted to leave...just enjoy the moments in Gampel.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Don't know how many 1 vs 2 matchups have actually taken place on a Monday but this game, just like 1995, is being played in the afternoon, right around the time the AP usually releases its poll. I suspect that most 1 vs 2 matchups on Monday took place at night after the AP poll was released. Other than that, UConn is special. :cool:

Reaction Score
After our 4th quarter meltdown (and Maryland pulling out a tough one against Baylor), I wonder if we fall out of the 2nd spot. Not that it matters at this point in the year, it's just a matter of pride...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom