AP Poll - 12/18 | The Boneyard

AP Poll - 12/18

Reaction Score

No change even after a semi-road win over a top 10 team. Not completely surprising but thought we'd move ahead of Arizona

Reaction Score
Kind of dumb, but not surprising. Pollsters have never figured out how to move teams up after good wins, the only thing they know how to do is to move teams down after losing. The dumbest thing is the order you lose in matters more than actually losing. Kenpom is a better reflection of where teams are in my opinion. We are definitely a top 3 team right now. I'm actually not sure how good Houston is, but we'll find out in the next month or so if they're really a top 3 team. Purdue is good when their guards play like they did against Arizona, but they aren't as consistent as us and their ceiling is lower in my opinion. Purdue is also athletically challenged at a couple positions which we are not.

Also, because of the way the polls work, don't be surprised to see a very mediocre James Madison team in the top 5 or 10 teams in the country because they play no one from here on out while the other teams in the top 25 have to play in real leagues.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

No change even after a semi-road win over a top 10 team. Not completely surprising but thought we'd move ahead of Arizona
Top 6 + Kentucky seem like the real championship contenders. Everybody else is at least a tier below

Reaction Score
Kind of dumb, but not surprising. Pollsters have never figured out how to move teams up after good wins, the only thing they know how to do is to move teams down after losing. The dumbest thing is the order you lose in matters more than actually losing. Kenpom is a better reflection of where teams are in my opinion. We are definitely a top 3 team right now. I'm actually not sure how good Houston is, but we'll find out in the next month or so if they're really a top 3 team. Purdue is good when their guards play like they did against Arizona, but they aren't as consistent as us and their ceiling is lower in my opinion. Purdue is also athletically challenged at a couple positions which we are not.
Kansas isn’t even top 10 in Kenpom. They are just ranked two because they lost earlier and are Kansas.

Reaction Score
Arizona lost a close one on the road. Hard to drop them for that. Oh wait...

Seriously though we are right there in a tight group 2-5. We're closer in points to #2 Kansas than #6 Marquette
Lol does this have to do with us losing at Kansas? We dropped 1 spot for that loss and Arizona dropped 3 for theirs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was 50/50 with us and Zona for #4. But I didn't see them dropping Zona 4 spots to losing a road game against a top 3 team while playing pretty well.

Reaction Score
It was 50/50 with us and Zona for #4. But I didn't see them dropping Zona 4 spots to losing a road game against a top 3 team while playing pretty well.
I think on resume you do drop them below UConn. UConn has done more at this point, but it's not a big deal.

Reaction Score

Seriously though we are right there in a tight group 2-5. We're closer in points to #2 Kansas than #6 Marquette
It wasn't all that close. They were down 17 in the second half. They made a run, but the game wasn't really in jeopardy. Nobody watched it though, so I guess that's fine.

They should not be ahead of UConn.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Yeah, #2-#5 are tight but overall I'd feel better at #2 than #5.

Reaction Score
I think it's great that so many of these top teams have played each other before league play. Great games and gives the coaches and fans new perspective that didn't exist 5 years ago. The only outlier on the list is Houston. Not sure they are a top 5 team....we shall see

Reaction Score
I don’t get the Houston ranking. Not only haven’t they not beaten a ranked team yet, they haven’t even played one and we are closing in on January
Houston doesn't face the Big12 ranked opponents until late Jan / Feb so may not be tested until then. First ranked opponent they face this year is @BYU on 1/23....@TX & @KU follow soon after. Houston also @IA St & @TCU earlier in January who are decent teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We should be #3...pretty sick of the disrespect we get after boatracing fellow top 15 ranked teams like Gonzaga and UNC on neutral floors but whatever

Reaction Score
Houston doesn't face the Big12 ranked opponents until late Jan / Feb so may not be tested until then. First ranked opponent they face this year is @BYU on 1/23....@TX & @KU follow soon after. Houston also @IA St & @TCU earlier in January who are descent teams.
I could see the week where they play @ Iowa State and @ TCU be where they slip up. Those are 2 tough games, and an outside chance one or both are ranked by that point. Iowa State is at 33 right now

Reaction Score
We should be #3...pretty sick of the disrespect we get after boatracing fellow top 15 ranked teams like Gonzaga and UNC on neutral floors but whatever
It’s annoying but this is probably the range we’re gonna stay at most of the season. The teams ahead of us don’t start playing big conference opponents again for over a month about the same time we start.

Reaction Score
Lol does this have to do with us losing at Kansas? We dropped 1 spot for that loss and Arizona dropped 3 for theirs.
Yes it was haha. I think we are better than the 5th best team. The December AP rankings also do not matter practically so shrug

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom