AP Poll: 1) Baylor, 2) ND, 3) UConn | The Boneyard

AP Poll: 1) Baylor, 2) ND, 3) UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Texas Tech may or may not be there for long. Their OOC schedule was not exactly stellar, and IIRC their Big12 wins have been close affairs.

I think Tennessee and KY play this week which should shake things out a bit.

Rutgers may be a little high (no matter how much I love it), I do think they are good this season, I'm just not sold on #8. The problem is no one has demonstrated a desire to move past us.

The rest is exactly as expected although, sooner or later, consideration must be given to moving Maryland past Stanford, especially if they beat the Dookies.

Reaction Score
Texas Tech may or may not be there for long. Their OOC schedule was not exactly stellar, and IIRC their Big12 wins have been close affairs.
@ Oklahoma on Wednesday. A tough place to play. The Sooners could boot us right back out of the top ten in a hurry if the Lady Raiders don't bring their A game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think Tennessee and KY play this week which should shake things out a bit.

The rest is exactly as expected although, sooner or later, consideration must be given to moving Maryland past Stanford, especially if they beat the Dookies.

I just checked and Tenn and KY play Thurs of this week.

Md and Duke meet Jan 22 at Cameron. Should be a good one.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
that looks about right to me. i forgot who Kentucky lost to this past week but that drop seems appropriate.

Reaction Score
I would flip TN and MD. In the last few days TN crushed a decent GA team at home and an ok Arkansas team on the road. Meantime MD struggled to beat a decent but certainly not great UNC. Other than beating FSU on the road by 21 on the road, what has MD done that is especially impressive?

I also think ND and UConn will trade places once Feb. 27th rolls around.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Don't underestimate Texas Tech. I saw them play at Colorado last year and I was very impressed with their team speed. At that time it crossed my mind that the were going to give Baylor a good challenge, which they did by beating them in Lubbock. Mallard is a top notch post player who is agile and can shoot from all over the court. And their guards will absolutely get in your grill and guard you.

If Baylor loses a conference game this year it may very well be in Lubbock.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
@ Oklahoma on Wednesday. A tough place to play. The Sooners could boot us right back out of the top ten in a hurry if the Lady Raiders don't bring their A game.

OU does not have anyone who can contain Mallard. She should have big numbers in this game.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
I would flip TN and MD. In the last few days TN crushed a decent GA team at home and an ok Arkansas team on the road. Meantime MD struggled to beat a decent but certainly not great UNC. Other than beating FSU on the road by 21 on the road, what has MD done that is especially impressive?

I also think ND and UConn will trade places once Feb. 27th rolls around.

Tennesse loss to an unranked Virginia hurts... MD is has managed to win, a W is a W.

until they lose i wont look at them that badly... UNC doesn't lose at home very much...considering they the rare times a ranked foe goes to UNC... other than UCONN out of conference...

Things will become clear after we see MD vs Duke, and Tenn vs UK.

I was surprised by Louie losing to St. Johns, although St. Johns made some noise against us (BAYLOR) in their backyard at MSG...i thought they would be tougher this season... maybe they're still warming up in order to make some noise in the BigEast

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Don't underestimate Texas Tech. I saw them play at Colorado last year and I was very impressed with their team speed. At that time it crossed my mind that the were going to give Baylor a good challenge, which they did by beating them in Lubbock. Mallard is a top notch post player who is agile and can shoot from all over the court. And their guards will absolutely get in your grill and guard you.

If Baylor loses a conference game this year it may very well be in Lubbock.

I just hope our girsl feel and play the lubbock game better this year, instead of fearing for their safety with the crowd throwing things and chanting profanities at Griner... it will be televised on FSN, so we can watch the scary atmosphere for ourselves this year.

Hearing about that game last year, I recall trauma, profane, and hostile environment being thrown around, and Curry not making any better by publicly hyping the game as payback for Barncastle's incurred injury from the previous season in the Newspaper and Local News stations.

I hate Curry for her sly attempt at keeping her job at TT, by finnaly making the tourney last year by beating us, which reminds me how funny i thought it was that they lost in the first round without a whimper from Curry...just a quiet dismissal back to Lubbock and the plains of Texas.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
The jury is still out on Delaware; right now I don't feel that they are a top 10 team.
the jury is out on Della Donne and Delaware... lots of Ds...conssonance?
I dont think they are a top ten team at all, until they beat a quality opponent, which they had an opportunity of doing with MD, but failed.

We will have to wait and see if they go undefeated in their conference or lay an egg somewhere in an away game, those hens.

I do consider EDD a top ten player though, she's awesome, I'm sure she likes being the big chicken in the barn, and definitely the barn closest to home.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score

Playing at ISU, OK, TTEch, Texas, and TAMU... oh wait any south teams' home floor is hard to get a W at.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
K State and Kansas have something to say about homecourt advantage this year it seems as well, both teams beating TAMU and Texas respectively.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Playing at ISU, OK, TTEch, Texas, and TAMU... oh wait any south teams' home floor is hard to get a W at.

I agree that a road win in the Big 12 is very difficult, regardless of the rank of the team. The Baylor vs. Iowa St game is a great example. Fennelly always has a great gameplan for Baylor and I fear them on the road as much as any other Big 12 team. Take your eye off the ball for a moment and you walk away with one in the "L" column.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I was surprised by Louie losing to St. Johns, although St. Johns made some noise against us (BAYLOR) in their backyard at MSG...i thought they would be tougher this season... maybe they're still warming up in order to make some noise in the BigEast

Louisville lost its best player, Monique Reid, as well as another expected to play this year, Tia Gibbs, for the season due to injuries. Plus, I think its post players have not played as well expected so far. It seems freshman Bria Smith has been one of the few bright spots for the Cards this season.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
I think conference play can make some things confusing for the rankings... especially considering the out of conference losses made the ranking what they are right now....

Kstate and Kansas are looking great right now, but have bad losses during last semester.

TAMU is looking better, but has had a rough year overall, starting 1-1 (L @Kstate, W @home OK) in conference and having two losses from Purdue (bad)/UCONN(worse -30pts).

Texas is disappointing this year, i thought they lost their opportunity to beat Stanford at home without Nneka, but barely made it a game. Then they lose in conference (0-2 to KU and OKstate) ouch...fall off the rankings...

Whos more overrrated this year?... I can't make up m my mind.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'd also put Delaware at #10.

I would like to see Delaware play. I still have not gotten to see EDD and would love to.

I can only imagine what UCONN would be with her in the lineup! I could see UCONN going undefeated for several years in a row if she had not transferred.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think conference play can make some things confusing for the rankings... especially considering the out of conference losses made the ranking what they are right now....

Kstate and Kansas are looking great right now, but have bad losses during last semester.

TAMU is looking better, but has had a rough year overall, starting 1-1 (L @Kstate, W @home OK) in conference and having two losses from Purdue (bad)/UCONN(worse -30pts).

Texas is disappointing this year, i thought they lost their opportunity to beat Stanford at home without Nneka, but barely made it a game. Then they lose in conference (0-2 to KU and OKstate) ouch...fall off the rankings...

Whos more overrrated this year?... I can't make up m my mind.

Breaks my heart to see Texas struggling...

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
I agree that a road win in the Big 12 is very difficult, regardless of the rank of the team. The Baylor vs. Iowa St game is a great example. Fennelly always has a great gameplan for Baylor and I fear them on the road as much as any other Big 12 team. Take your eye off the ball for a moment and you walk away with one in the "L" column.

If we play UCONN during the spring semester it should be early January, before conference play, or inbetween two home games, because we do so much better at home during conference games regardless of the team... like last year we spanked OK in waco by...+40 points at one point and then when we went to OK for the return game we barely squeaked by a W with Sims amazing and fearless play, and OKs Danielle Robbins last second missed lay up.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
OU does not have anyone who can contain Mallard. She should have big numbers in this game.
I wonder why Griffin their tall center hasn't made any noise this year, like last year's NCAA tourney... is she injured? I'm sure between her and the other two post players they can harrass her enough to keep it interesting.

I think Monique Smalls is the key to that game, because they need her to make defensive plays and score...since Mallard will probably get her points... as will OKs shooting guards in Hand and Vegas.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Louisville lost its best player, Monique Reid, as well as another expected to play this year, Tia Gibbs, for the season due to injuries. Plus, I think its post players have not played as well expected so far. It seems freshman Bria Smith has been one of the few bright spots for the Cards this season.
Reid was awesome last year in the NCAA tourney when other teams were focusing their defensive efforts on Schimmel.

Shoni needs some senior guard presence... as does any team that wants to do well in the NCAA tourney... and against good teams in the Big East.

I'm sad for Depaul... losing their star player.... she is awesome.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
I think St. Johns has a chance at being good, if they get their star point guard back, they have got some good defensive schemes and share the ball well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom