Ap op-ed on the current state of college basketball | The Boneyard

Ap op-ed on the current state of college basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"There is dribbling, lots of dribbling, in college basketball these days. There is bumping and banging, lots of bumping and banging. Not to mention all the grabbing and tripping and colliding.

If this was roller derby, it would be OK.

But this is NCAA hoops, and it's downright ugly."

LINK

Reaction Score
That's why I stopped watching men's college basketball, and the women's game is moving in the same direction. One of the things I like about the UConn blowout games is that there's usually more of a chance to see beautiful plays well run.

Reaction Score
Scoring is lower than usual. Teams foul so much the refs just get used to it and stop calling it. Kentucky in particular is extremely foul prone with their style of play but the refs become accustomed to this and slowly stop calling it as much.

Reaction Score
That's why I stopped watching men's college basketball, and the women's game is moving in the same direction. One of the things I like about the UConn blowout games is that there's usually more of a chance to see beautiful plays well run.

Amen to that...I enjoy rugby and basketball is definitely poor rugby...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think the "you can't call everything" thought is basically ridiculous. The issue isn't with touch fouls, it's with letting teams that live on inside physical stuff get away with it. If all of what goes on inside were called, just maybe the coaches would decide having the big guy in foul trouble 5 minutes into every game isn't worth it.

For certain, I've been at games where the refs blow the whistle so often, that being at the game is like having a bad toothache. Those tend to be games where even the smallest contact is called. But then there are way too many games where a guy gets clobbered underneath and no whistle and in the next 20 seconds there is a whistle for a hand check. Body fouls seems to be rarely called on "blocks" these days. There was a play in the SU game where, I think it was Olander, was supposedly blocked by two guys, wound up on the floor, no whistle. No way that play happened without one of the 2 defenders bumping him. And in fact, that was the play where UConn was whistled for a touch foul on the next trip down court. The lack of 3 second calls doesn't help either. You can go to many games in a row with no 3 second calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom