AO should be in there when we have 3 guards | The Boneyard

AO should be in there when we have 3 guards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agreed, Boat will be coming off the bench but playing a ton. Our 3 guard lineup is going to be special. I love Olander but physically there are things he just can't do that Alec can, really surprised at Oriakhi's lack of pt.

Reaction Score
I agree as TO has kind of regressed too and his shot is just flat now. I rather see AO in there but he is a bad FT shooter like AD so that isn't always the best combo to have especially at the end of games.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
TO had a poor game today,particularly during regulation. But he made some good plays in overtime. I think all the players who are currently in the rotation should play and posters should quit trying to stir up bad blood between the players and between the players and JC

Reaction Score
yeah I'd like to see AO in the line up with the three guards. I'm surprised that he didn't get much time today with TO not playing that great today. Hope he keeps his head up.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think AO should play the minutes he earns as should Roscoe. Both of them are being out played by kids who probably shouldn't be ahead of them on the depth chart. problem is, Olander and Daniels are earning time and Oriakhi and Smith simply are not. i do think Daniels has a higher ceiling than Smith, but at this point Roscoe should be ahead of DD. unfortunately, he's not.

Reaction Score
Its a good problem to have that we have so many options. It will all work out, I have faith in Jimmy.

Reaction Score
i think it was quite clear to anyone watching the game today that JC is sending AO a message. Olander was pretty poor all game and he continued to get the meaningful minutes. its a gut check for AO, he needs to prove he's in this for the right reasons and he can take this small period of negativity and grow from it. these are the things that Calhoun does that turns boys into men, as cliche as that sounds.

Reaction Score
I think AO should play the minutes he earns as should Roscoe. Both of them are being out played by kids who probably shouldn't be ahead of them on the depth chart. problem is, Olander and Daniels are earning time and Oriakhi and Smith simply are not. i do think Daniels has a higher ceiling than Smith, but at this point Roscoe should be ahead of DD. unfortunately, he's not.
What about TO, shouldn't he play the minutes that he earns. TO was simply awful today, 1-7 only five rebounds and poor defense. Buthe played almost the entire games. It's hard to earn PT when AO never gets a chance to get in the game and prove his worth.

Reaction Score
i think it was quite clear to anyone watching the game today that JC is sending AO a message. Olander was pretty poor all game and he continued to get the meaningful minutes. its a gut check for AO, he needs to prove he's in this for the right reasons and he can take this small period of negativity and grow from it. these are the things that Calhoun does that turns boys into men, as cliche as that sounds.
Agreed, its up to Alex right now where he wants to go. Not to be dramatic, but he's our most important player, and without his experience on the floor come conference time we will suffer.

TO earned minutes due to his effort and hustle. He's a busy body out there, always in the play.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
TO's shot was off today, and he struggled defensively. He's been great so far this year, though, so I'm willing to give him a pass. Still want to see AO get his minutes, too. Drummond was just too good to take out today.

Reaction Score
Yes I agree, but it hasn't been just this game, its been all season. Oriakhi has the shortest leash on the team. Any mistake or bad play, he's out the game and sometimes won't see the floor again. Has he been playing great or shown a lot of improve so far this season? No. But he hasn't been playing horrible either. He is playing 10min a game less then he did last year, and his stats would be very similar to what they were at last year if he was getting the same minutes. Also, AO has slightly better stats then TO even thou he is getting much more PT. We need AO to get going and playing more. TO is a nice player, but limited. Hopefully AO will get out of Calhoun's dog house very soon.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There's a reason why AO didn't play. The only thing we can say is AD played well to stay in and TO didn't play well enough to stay in. So something is up between AO and JC.

Reaction Score
What about TO, shouldn't he play the minutes that he earns. TO was simply awful today, 1-7 only five rebounds and poor defense. Buthe played almost the entire games. It's hard to earn PT when AO never gets a chance to get in the game and prove his worth.

Yeah there has to be a rather large doghouse for TO to have stayed in the game. I mean he couldn't make a shot, lost the ball a lot and didn't box out too often. He did come up with a very big loose ball in OT though!! His shot will fall but we need some others to step up and take some of those minutes!

Reaction Score
Maybe AO tweet really pissed off coach??

Then he must've found out after yesterday's game because AO got the minutes yesterday and produced. Like others I was puzzled by his lack of time today because TO had a poor game, missed a number of wide open jumpers and was weak with the ball at the top of the key a few times on offense, and was not there on the boards either.

Reaction Score

its a management technique. TO is what he is. it's not a knock on him but he's not as talented as AO and his upside is limited. Calhoun can just let AO play like this at a 7/10 level for the rest of the year and we can be a good, not great, team. or he can try to spark a fire under him, get him motivated and hopefully bring out the best AO possible which would make us a great team. By sitting TO when he does something bad it does very little in terms of changing his long term outlook with his limited potential.

Calhoun, as i'm sure you know, has been doing this for years. it either makes guys into studs or it breaks them and they crumble and either get buried on the bench bad mouthing the coach or they transfer. lets hope for all of our sakes that AO takes this opportunity to get better and turns us into a legit contender, because we'll certainly need him.

Reaction Score
This is all getting pretty bizarre. I know we shouldn't look too much into Twitter and things like that but AO is nowhere to be found on Twitter anymore and barely got a chance to even play today. Tyler looked physically overmatched today and Drummond played almost the entire game. We could have really used Alex down the stretch in my opinion, after yesterday performance, his lack of PT was glaring, especially with such a need for his athleticism.

Reaction Score
Yeah there has to be a rather large doghouse for TO to have stayed in the game. I mean he couldn't make a shot, lost the ball a lot and didn't box out too often. He did come up with a very big loose ball in OT though!! His shot will fall but we need some others to step up and take some of those minutes!
TO was a real liability today. His shot was way off, ball handling and passing was awful and his D was weak. I kept expecting JC to replace him with AO, but when he did it was only for a minute or two. That doghouse must have 10 rooms and a 2 car garage for AO to see such limited action.

Reaction Score
Yeah and Alex built an addition on that house today. Calhoun is sending a message and Alex is not responding well to it. Tis could get ugly fast. Was Jamal Coombs-McDaniel's transfer a factor in Alex's emotional struggles? Does he have an issue with one of the new kids?

Reaction Score
Yeah and Alex built an addition on that house today. Calhoun is sending a message and Alex is not responding well to it. Tis could get ugly fast. Was Jamal Coombs-McDaniel's transfer a factor in Alex's emotional struggles? Does he have an issue with one of the new kids?

From what I see, Olander is basically gobbling the rebounds up, Drummond is slamming and going for them as well, AO isn't getting enough of the action, I mean there are times I do see AO is open ready to slam it or shoot it, and sometimes Shabazz or Lamb completely ignore him, could just be something like that.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Something happened between the second and third game that JC didn't like is the only thing that can explain leaving in TO and not playing AO. Maybe something AO said after the loss to UCF or how he reacted to the team after the loss. But this was a punishment and not a motivational thing imo.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Something happened between the second and third game that JC didn't like is the only thing that can explain leaving in TO and not playing AO. Maybe something AO said after the loss to UCF or how he reacted to the team after the loss. But this was a punishment and not a motivational thing imo.

Agreed ... but I also think a combination of things are going on here.

When he's in there, he's pressing hard because he wants the minutes. But it's throwing his game off. Unfortunately it means more bench time and more unhappiness on his part. He's got to take the advice of the quote in his twitter that "hard work pays off". Just do the right things on and off the court, work hard in practice, and you'll get yourself out of the doghouse.

Reaction Score

He got in the game for ten minutes and put up a stat line of 0, 0, 0, 0, and 0 with one turnover. You aren't going to stay on the floor for long playing like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom