Anyway | The Boneyard

Anyway

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
You’re not wrong. The best I’ve got is we’re very young and where we have experience is largely from players who are new to the team. But that was a weak showing against a weak FCS team. It may be our only win this year.

Reaction Score
Drayton got open all night. Ugwak got 2 sacks. That's all i got.
The defense smothered enough to contribute to a lopsided win. The Offense couldn’t take Wagner’s soul and kept them thinking they were in it. Down two receivers equals vanilla game plan. And one point I looked at the scoreboard and we outgained them almost 300 yards to 53 or something.

If we were at full strength offensively I would have been majorly concerned. But seeing a team getting sold out against the run and still running for close to 250 is actually a good sign.

I am deeply troubled with our depth at receiver. Deeply.

We need to enlist the secret service for the starters and employ a no contact rule for them in practice (which there shouldn’t be any tackling anyways now)

Protect them at all costs. They are the most valuable position group on this team.

Reaction Score
This was my take too. I need to see the two receivers that did not play before I panic. With that said, I loved Drayton.

Mensah and Thompkins are going to be a nice combo.

Whaler's pre-season assessment of the OL is closer to what my pre-season assessment was. Pass blocking needs to be better.

Beaudry did some good things, but he needs to learn from his mistakes last night quickly.

Our defense won't be the worst in the nation this year.

Reaction Score
We should have won that by 21. The defense was dominant except for two Wagner possessions where we evidently went to sleep. We still don't have much of anything at LB and Gilmartin looks like he's in junior high. Even with that, this defense looks to be much better than last season - it almost has to be.

On offense Beaudry can do some things, but he's very rusty and his ball placement was very bad. The two turnovers were huge and the only reason this wasn't a blowout. Both the Mensah fumble and Beaudry pick-six were inexcusable miscues.

Edsall is trying to set this thing up for a run over the next 2-3 seasons. Right or wrong, he tore it all down and is now building with these young guys. There are some athletes out there. I like the Drayton kid and the young DBs looked a lot better.

We'll win another couple of games this season.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I think using "we're very young" in a coach's 3 year is a indictment.
I dunno. He couldn't recruit in year one because he came in too late. His recruits in year 2 and 3 are redshirt freshmen and true freshmen respectively. They were saying that 43% of the roster are redshirts and true freshmen. I figure that, without the turnovers, we score at least 10 more points and Wagner doesn't score on the pick six. That's 34-14. Still I'm worried about the tackling, especially in the second half.

Reaction Score
I dunno. He couldn't recruit in year one because he came in too late. His recruits in year 2 and 3 are redshirt freshmen and true freshmen respectively. They were saying that 43% of the roster are redshirts and true freshmen. I figure that, without the turnovers, we score at least 10 more points and Wagner doesn't score on the pick six. That's 34-14. Still I'm worried about the tackling, especially in the second half.

I agree. The team Edsall inherited his first year had a lot of experience and arguably should have performed better. Then last season he played all babies.

I like Edsall, but what he was trying to accomplish defensively the first two seasons is a total head scratcher for me. Why he kept Crocker for the second season is another mystery. This isn't a great defense by any stretch, but it's still young and without talent at LB, I think that will get addressed.

Absent Edsall completely losing the locker room, he's here for the 2021 and 2022 seasons so the AD can see if this works. That's my guess anyway.

Reaction Score
This program is an unfunny joke.

I can see people already twisting themselves into pretzels to defend that disaster.

Only 2 more years until the 5 year plan starts.
We still have posters posting about how they like Edsall.

Reaction Score
I agree. The team Edsall inherited his first year had a lot of experience and arguably should have performed better. Then last season he played all babies.

I like Edsall, but what he was trying to accomplish defensively the first two seasons is a total head scratcher for me. Why he kept Crocker for the second season is another mystery. This isn't a great defense by any stretch, but it's still young and without talent at LB, I think that will get addressed.

Absent Edsall completely losing the locker room, he's here for the 2021 and 2022 seasons so the AD can see if this works. That's my guess anyway.
I think after last night he's on the hot seat right now. Dave Benedict is a former FBS football player, he knows the game as well as Edsall does, and knows by now what some couch potatoes already know. Dump Edsall soon or this program is toast. If I'm Benedict I have to be thinking how much would it cost Uconn to dump Edsall and offer the head coaching job to my old pal Rhett Lashlee.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
10-12 years ago, we would have a 10 or 17 point win over some FCS school in the first week and you would know that Edsall was just holding back the playbook. I don't think that was what happened last night. I think that team is bad, and is probably 9-10 games at least, and a 1-11 season is definitely in the range of possibilities.

Reaction Score
I think after last night he's on the hot seat right now. Dave Benedict is a former FBS football player, he knows the game as well as Edsall does, and knows by now what some couch potatoes already know. Dump Edsall soon or this program is toast. If I'm Benedict I have to be thinking how much would it cost Uconn to dump Edsall and offer the head coaching job to my old pal Rhett Lashlee.

I'm not an insider, but my perception is that Edsall and Benedict are aligned on a plan. Seems to me the way they both work. It may prove out that they have the wrong strategy, but I don't think Benedict cuts Edsall loose for lots of reasons, not the least of which is money.

I don't think Lashlee would come back here for all the money in the world.

Reaction Score
I'm not an insider, but my perception is that Edsall and Benedict are aligned on a plan. Seems to me the way they both work. It may prove out that they have the wrong strategy, but I don't think Benedict cuts Edsall loose for lots of reasons, not the least of which is money.

I don't think Lashlee would come back here for all the money in the world.
As head coach I think he would if the contract was right. Benedict and Lashlee go way back, it's the reason he came here in the first place. That being said, you could also be correct. Lol

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

benedict played fcs

Reaction Score
I’m sure most of you are sick and tired of hearing me say this; but, if we’re going to insist on doing this football thing, I truly believe that installing the triple option is our best move.

It is both the path of least resistance to getting us back to being competitive AND is the most sustainable model for maintaining competitiveness once we achieve it.

I’m sorry this opinion isn’t as popular as it should be but the only other two options are firing Edsall and spending money on the program that the school is either unable or unwilling to spend (so not realistic, in my opinion) or dropping down to FCS/dropping football all together (which I don’t think any of us want)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom