Anyone remember the 06-07 season? | The Boneyard

Anyone remember the 06-07 season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As Aaron Rodgers once said: R-E-L-A-X

Lets face the facts; this is an extremely young team coming off of a national championship that is trying to replace it's #1, 3 and 4 top scorers. Our best player is currently playing on one leg and we just lost to a tournament team on the road last night.

Before people completely throw this team under the bus, we have to put this into perspective. It is incredibly tough to replace talented upperclassmen year over year, let alone trying to replace the best player in the country. A lot of what I have seen so far closely mirrors the 06-07 team that was trying to replace the production from arguably the most talented team this university has ever seen. There are growing pains associated with the transition, but it isn't like we haven't seen this before. Kevin Ollie is one of the best coaches in the country from a preparation/scheme/motivational perspective, and will continue to develop this team and will continue to bring in talented players. While this may not be our year to cut down the nets, just remember that we have been down this road before and that we will rebound from this.

Reaction Score
I agree- except for last year's team being the most talented- they certainly were talented enough! My dad and I have been talking all year about people's expectations. I am just happy to see any of our players develop and move in the right direction. Personally I did not think this would be a great year- we are rebuilding- but that did not stop me from going to PR.

We are the NCAA NCs!!!!!- I can not even imagine what a % hit show this place would be had we been knocked out of the NCAAs by St Joes last year-mama.

Reaction Score
He was referring to the 05-06 being the most talented

I agree- except for last year's team being the most talented- they certainly were talented enough! My dad and I have been talking all year about people's expectations. I am just happy to see any of our players develop and move in the right direction. Personally I did not think this would be a great year- we are rebuilding- but that did not stop me from going to PR.

We are the NCAA NCs!!!!!- I can not even imagine what a % hit show this place would be had we been knocked out of the NCAAs by St Joes last year-mama.

Reaction Score
True, except that team was almost entirely freshman. The non-freshman were Adrien and Craig Austrie. Everyone came back. This teams overwhelmingly best player will be gone next year.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
1999.2004.2011 said:
As Aaron Rodgers once said: R-E-L-A-X

Lets face the facts; this is an extremely young team coming off of a national championship that is trying to replace it's #1, 3 and 4 top scorers. Our best player is currently playing on one leg and we just lost to a tournament team on the road last night.

Before people completely throw this team under the bus, we have to put this into perspective. It is incredibly tough to replace talented upperclassmen year over year, let alone trying to replace the best player in the country. A lot of what I have seen so far closely mirrors the 06-07 team that was trying to replace the production from arguably the most talented team this university has ever seen. There are growing pains associated with the transition, but it isn't like we haven't seen this before. Kevin Ollie is one of the best coaches in the country from a preparation/scheme/motivational perspective, and will continue to develop this team and will continue to bring in talented players. While this may not be our year to cut down the nets, just remember that we have been down this road before and that we will rebound from this.

How'd that season turn out? That team it replaced was the most underachieving team not necessarily the most talented.

Reaction Score
How'd that season turn out? That team it replaced was the most underachieving team not necessarily the most talented.

Let me understand your logic. One would think that if the '06 Team was the most underachieving team ever, that by definition they would have to have been extremely, extremely talented given that they spend the whole season in the Top 5, made the Elite Eight and came within a 3 rimming out at the OT buzzer of reaching the Final Four.

Only on this board can a team that accomplished that not be supremely talented and still be the biggest underachievers ever.

Reaction Score
Let me understand your logic. One would think that if the '06 Team was the most underachieving team ever, that by definition they would have to have been extremely, extremely talented given that they spend the whole season in the Top 5, made the Elite Eight and came within a 3 rimming out at the OT buzzer of reaching the Final Four.

Only on this board can a team that accomplished that not be supremely talented and still be the biggest underachievers ever.

Yeah, I'm not sure how that title isn't locked down by the 09-10 team.

Reaction Score
At least they made the tournament.

The 2010 team was one of the unluckiest UConn teams ever. They had to have had no less than five excruciating losses that could have gone either way, and they always showed well against top competition. The 2012 team was one of the most talented UConn teams ever and it never felt like that season even had a pulse.

Reaction Score
The 2010 team was one of the unluckiest UConn teams ever. They had to have had no less than five excruciating losses that could have gone either way, and they always showed well against top competition. The 2012 team was one of the most talented UConn teams ever and it never felt like that season even had a pulse.

Well, I guess there are a few ways to look at it, then. I think we can both agree that that 05-06 team isn't reasonably in the discussion.

Reaction Score
Well, I guess there are a few ways to look at it, then. I think we can both agree that that 05-06 team isn't reasonably in the discussion.

Definitely not, though you could probably make the argument that they were the most underachieving postseason team of the Calhoun era.

Reaction Score
Definitely not, though you could probably make the argument that they were the most underachieving postseason team of the Calhoun era.

I'll never forgive them for losing that game to Syracuse in the BET.

Reaction Score
I sort of agree but the big difference is everyone from the 06-07 team came back for 07-08 and 08-09 (Besides a Curtis Kelly transfer). Next year we will not have our best player on this team by far but I still think this team has a bright future. We have a really good sophomore class and a talented freshman with our future point guard coming in next year. It will be interesting to see if everyone besides Nolan, Omar, and of course boat, are here when our sophomore class now are seniors.

Reaction Score
Everyone is forgetting one simple fact. That was the Big East and this is the AAC. Also, none of those teams would ever lose to an in state foe, like Yale. We are very lucky we are not in the old Big East this year or even the current ACC.

The 2009-2010 team to me was the most comparable to this team in terms of style of play. No real inside game and no real outside threat. Lots of slashers and dont play as a team.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
'06 certainly had the most excruciating postseason run. Every game seemed like a train wreck, and yet they still came one shot from the Final Four.

Reaction Score
'06 certainly had the most excruciating postseason run. Every game seemed like a train wreck, and yet they still came one shot from the Final Four.

that team broke my heart, when they lost to george mason, I just wanted to throw up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom