Anyone read Jacobs article on Toner? | The Boneyard

Anyone read Jacobs article on Toner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Fantastic! Thank you John and rest in peace.

Reaction Score
TheCourant wants me to register to read the Jacobs article. I don't want to register. Is this something new and those who already read the article have to register?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
TheCourant wants me to register to read the Jacobs article. I don't want to register. Is this something new and those who already read the article have to register?
Yep. It turns out that I was already registered, although I don't remember doing it. I wonder if it goes all the way back to my pre Boneyard days.

Only have to register for Jacobs, and probably other columnists. It was worth it. Actually was a pretty good read.

Reaction Score
Yep. It turns out that I was already registered, although I don't remember doing it. I wonder if it goes all the way back to my pre Boneyard days.

Only have to register for Jacobs, and probably other columnists. It was worth it. Actually was a pretty good read.
Every now and again he nails one. He has had a few very nice ones recently... John Toner, Bill Detrick, and even including the one about his upcoming walk on Oct. 5 to UConn.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Every now and again he nails one. He has had a few very nice ones recently... John Toner, Bill Detrick, and even including the one about his upcoming walk on Oct. 5 to UConn.

When he doesn't have a bug up his arse and inserts himself into the story, he write a good column.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was an extremely generous article. The fact is UConn didn't become the UConn we know until Toner retired.

Reaction Score
It is the two big hires he made and his support to join the Big East that enabled it all. There isn't any greater accomplishment than hiring Calhoun and Auriemma that one can point to in the athletic department that wasn't accomplished by Jim and Geno themselves. After all, his job was to make hires and nurture and grow programs. He hit 3 tasks out of the park. I'm waiting for someone else to make a similar mark. One could argue Lew Perkins insisting that we needed to play big time football was a similar level decision, but right now football is ruining my life.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It was an extremely generous article. The fact is UConn didn't become the UConn we know until Toner retired.
And that's an extremely ill-informed remark.

Rome wasn't built in a day; but your idol Hathaway sure did a number on it during his tenure, didn't he?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And that's an extremely ill-informed remark.

Rome wasn't built in a day; but your idol Hathaway sure did a number on it during his tenure, didn't he?

That 2nd line is truly ill-informed, about both the program building and Hathaway part. But can you imagine what you would be saying if Manuel came out today and said, "I believe that we can be in the top 5 of the American in 5 years?"

Reaction Score
It is the two big hires he made and his support to join the Big East that enabled it all. There isn't any greater accomplishment than hiring Calhoun and Auriemma that one can point to in the athletic department that wasn't accomplished by Jim and Geno themselves. After all, his job was to make hires and nurture and grow programs. He hit 3 tasks out of the park. I'm waiting for someone else to make a similar mark. One could argue Lew Perkins insisting that we needed to play big time football was a similar level decision, but right now football is ruining my life.
And if Lew had stayed we might have been OK... but he didn't...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And if Lew had stayed we might have been OK... but he didn't...
Maybe, but he had his own issues at Kansas. With Lew here Hathaway wouldn't have been in charge and that is probably the best case scenario.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Maybe, but he had his own issues at Kansas. With Lew here Hathaway wouldn't have been in charge and that is probably the best case scenario.

Lew might now have done the same things at UCONN that he did at Kansas though. Of course, this is nothing but idle speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom