Anyone paying attention to Maryland? | The Boneyard

Anyone paying attention to Maryland?

Reaction Score
Maryland is scoring like crazy, I think they are going to be real tough for anyone to play. If they and UConn keep winning, not sure when they would meet.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Texas is probably thinking about them just now. If Maryland gets by Texas, they will likely face South Carolina.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maryland is scoring like crazy, I think they are going to be real tough for anyone to play. If they and UConn keep winning, not sure when they would meet.
They are on the other side of the bracket. If we meet, it is in the finals.

Reaction Score
I have no idea why they are a 2 seed. They're averaging 92 points/game, 50% from the field and 40% from three point line. They are dangerous. UConn's defense is better and the Huskies allow 19 fewer points/game but I'm glad we would't face them till the finals.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
maryland's scoring defense is 248 out of 336. UConn scoring defense 2 out of the same 336. BTW Iowa gets the insignificant honor of being 336. UConn scoring offense is #4.

Reaction Score
maryland's scoring defense is 248 out of 336. UConn scoring defense 2 out of the same 336. BTW Iowa gets the insignificant honor of being 336. UConn scoring offense is #4.
Does that mean Iowa has the worst defense in the country? How many points per game do they give up?

Reaction Score
I have no idea why they are a 2 seed. They're averaging 92 points/game, 50% from the field and 40% from three point line. They are dangerous. UConn's defense is better and the Huskies allow 19 fewer points/game but I'm glad we would't face them till the finals.
On the other hand, I have no idea why Texas A&M is also a 2 seed. They won their first 2 games by a grand total of 6 points. NC Sate v. A&M in an Elite 8 game is pathetic. Baylor v. UCONN is an NC caliber game. Typical poor evaluation from the seeding committee. There were not as many games and match ups this year out of conference but still. How about the eye test?

Reaction Score
On the other hand, I have no idea why Texas A&M is also a 2 seed. They won their first 2 games by a grand total of 6 points. NC Sate v. A&M in an Elite 8 game is pathetic. Baylor v. UCONN is an NC caliber game. Typical poor evaluation from the seeding committee. There were not as many games and match ups this year out of conference but still. How about the eye test?
Maybe the oldens on the committee have cataracts.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Like I've said before.. and I'll say it again... if UConn survives Baylor... they get the winner of the Land Grant Region in the National Semi's... and surely you guys won't complain about facing whatever pathetic, loser, crappy team that emerges from that mess. It would be a cakewalk to the finals. Then again... this is the Boneyard.. so someone will invariably complain. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Maryland's a much better defensive team than people are giving them credit for. In the first half of the year they gave up 77 ppg. After their Ohio State loss they've held opponents to just 62.4 ppg, and if you take out the Iowa track meets, it's 58.4 ppg. They're not a defensive juggernaut, but they're much improved on the defensive end and as a result have been consistently blowing out opponents, with only the Nebraska game being somewhat competitive in the 2nd half of the season.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I would've had Maryland as a 1 seed. Yes, their defense isn't great, but it's not abysmal, and their offense has a lot of ways to beat you. Part of what makes their scoring defense look so bad is their uptempo game, which leads to a lot of quick baskets.

I doubt they beat Stanford or UConn, but they're not an easy out.

Reaction Score
Based on appearances so far in the tournament, the 1 seeds should have been: UCONN, Baylor, Stanford, and Maryland. The 2 seeds should have been: South Carolina, NC State, Louisville, and Troy.
Thanks for the laugh on the last one. How about Michigan? On point comment you posted.

Reaction Score
Maryland's a much better defensive team than people are giving them credit for. In the first half of the year they gave up 77 ppg. After their Ohio State loss they've held opponents to just 62.4 ppg, and if you take out the Iowa track meets, it's 58.4 ppg. They're not a defensive juggernaut, but they're much improved on the defensive end and as a result have been consistently blowing out opponents, with only the Nebraska game being somewhat competitive in the 2nd half of the season.
Pace of play matters and so does getting Angel Reese back.

On Her Hoop Stats, Maryland now ranks 1st in offensive efficiency (123.0 rating) and 12th in defensive efficiency (79.7). UConn is 3rd in offense (116.5) and 1st in defense (70.1). They're the top 2 teams overall.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Does that mean Iowa has the worst defense in the country? How many points per game do they give up?
games points average
iowa.svg
Iowa

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
They are probably improved but The first half of the year must have been much worse than 77 ppg because they averaged 79.9 points per game over 29 games. That's bad no matter how you slice your snippets. Nebraska was 13-13 ninth in the B1G.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Anyone paying attention to Maryland? Maryland is scoring like crazy, I think they are going to be real tough for anyone to play. If they and UConn keep winning, not sure when they would meet.
Not yet. We got a lot of winning to do before we think about them. So do they.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
They are probably improved but The first half of the year must have been much worse than 77 ppg because they averaged 79.9 points per game over 29 games. That's bad no matter how you slice your snippets. Nebraska was 13-13 ninth in the B1G.
Nope, it was 76.8 the first stretch of the year

Click on game by game and then opponent and it shows the running average ppg scored by Maryland throughout the season. After the Ohio State game opponents were averaging 76.8ppg. That figure has dropped to 69.1 ppg overall through 29 games which isn't great, but the defense has unquestionably been much stronger in the back half of the year. Not sure where you're seeing 79.9 ppg.

And yes Nebraska played them tougher than expected, but it's the lone outlier over the last 15 games. Every other game Maryland was never truly challenged, and every win was by double figures. If I'm analyzing a team I'd be more inclined to look at a bigger body of work rather than focus on one outlier game.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Based on appearances so far in the tournament, the 1 seeds should have been: UCONN, Baylor, Stanford, and Maryland. The 2 seeds should have been: South Carolina, NC State, Louisville, and Troy.
Those four were my top four in the final BY poll. Nothing I've seen since the tourney started has changed my view as to that, and it's a damned shame Kim and Geno have to meet in the Elite 8. Though through two games, I'd take Maryland as the favorite of my Cardinal, :( though Tara >>> Brenda. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom