Anyone know what the status of the Corey Edsall ethics matter is? | The Boneyard

Anyone know what the status of the Corey Edsall ethics matter is?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is that thing still hanging around?

Reaction Score
Is that thing still hanging around?

I’ve seen nothing since the stay of conclusion by the Superior Court back in mid-December. Appeal process crawls forward...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Yep, Randy mentioned it very briefly at the spring event at the rent

Reaction Score
Not sure I get it. He hired his son who appears to be qualified. What about coaches who hire parents to get their son's or daughters to commit? Maybe one of the lawyers can explain it to me.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Not sure I get it. He hired his son who appears to be qualified. What about coaches who hire parents to get their son's or daughters to commit? Maybe one of the lawyers can explain it to me.

As strange as it may seem, hiring parents of recruits is not against NCAA rules. The Corey Edsall saga is totally different anyway. It involves hiring a family member. The state has rules regarding that practice to avoid the appearance of nepotism.

UConn did submit a supposed hypothetical case to the state ethics board for consideration prior to Corey's employment. It was okayed by the state, but now according to them, it omitted certain details, like the level of control exercised by Randy during the hiring process, and when exactly he became a state employee is an issue.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
As strange as it may seem, hiring parents of recruits is not against NCAA rules. The Corey Edsall saga is totally different anyway. It involves hiring a family member. The state has rules regarding that practice to avoid the appearance of nepotism.

UConn did submit a supposed hypothetical case to the state ethics board for consideration prior to Corey's employment. It was okayed by the state, but now according to them, it omitted certain details, like the level of control exercised by Randy during the hiring process, and when exactly he became a state employee is an issue.
Memphis has done this multiple times in basketball(hiring parent of recruits). The issue at hand is not an NCAA issue, it is a state of CT issue.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Memphis has done this multiple times in basketball(hiring parent of recruits). The issue at hand is not an NCAA issue, it is a state of CT issue.

Recruits aren't state employees and not subject to state hiring ethics (assuming Tennessee has those). Some, though, could argue that at Memphis the recruits could very likely be state employees.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

It order to find a violation of the state's ethics rules the committee had to create two fictions that differed from the actual facts of the matter. First, they had to create a fictional start date for Randy that was prior to the date in the actual contract. That used that date to say that Randy negotiated on behalf of his son while he was an employee. Without creating a fictional earlier start date there is no issue.

Second Corey reports to the AD not to Randy. The committee changed decided that that reporting structure, which is in Corey's contract, is a fiction (or being less gracious, a lie or a deliberate fraud.) By ignoring the actual reporting structure and inserting a fictitious structure where Corey reports to his father, REv2 has unilateral power to compensate him, keep him on etc. Again that just was not the agreement.

So to sum up, when the committee thought they were reviewing just any UConn employees they saw no problem. After they learned that it involved the football coach, they created 2 fictions to make an otherwise acceptable arrangement a violation of the state's ethic rules. This thing ought to be thrown out and the ethics board owe Randy and Corey an apology.

That's how I see it anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It order to find a violation of the state's ethics rules the committee had to create two fictions that differed from the actual facts of the matter.

Second Corey reports to the AD not to Randy. The committee changed decided that that reporting structure, which is in Corey's contract, is a fiction (or being less gracious, a lie or a deliberate fraud.) By ignoring the actual reporting structure and inserting a fictitious structure where Corey reports to his father, REv2 has unilateral power to compensate him, keep him on etc. Again that just was not the agreement.

I totally agree with you on both arguments and particularly on the second one. In many large corporate and even educational structures it is not unusual to have one person supervise a person's daily duties but not evaluate their performance. For instance, a custodian in a large school district performs his/her responsibilities in a school under the direction of a Principal but is evaluated by his/her district manager or a person in an insurance company may perform functions for one manager but really is a report to a different manager, in a different department and location, who evaluates his/her performance.

Keeping this in mind, it should easier to understand the relationship between Corey Edsall, Randy Edsall and David Benedict is certainly not a conflict of interest but in fact, it is in most businesses, a normal practice.

Somehow, because it's UConn, the Ethic's Commission members are either wrapped up in their bias or they are simply ignorant of normal business practice. Either one scares me. The fact that such geniuses, sarcastically speaking, are given the power to make such impacting decisions is beyond me.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I totally agree with you on both arguments and particularly on the second one. In many large corporate and even educational structures it is not unusual to have one person supervise a person's daily duties but not evaluate their performance. For instance, a custodian in a large school district performs his/her responsibilities in a school under the direction of a Principal but is evaluated by his/her district manager or a person in an insurance company may perform functions for one manager but really is a report to a different manager, in a different department and location, who evaluates his/her performance.

Keeping this in mind, it should easier to understand the relationship between Corey Edsall, Randy Edsall and David Benedict is certainly not a conflict of interest but in fact, it is in most businesses, a normal practice.

Somehow, because it's UConn, the Ethic's Commission members are either wrapped up in their bias or they are simply ignorant of normal business practice. Either one scares me. The fact that such geniuses, sarcastically speaking, are given the power to make such impacting decisions is beyond me.
Government is incompetent. It's best to keep it as small as possible.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This should have been over a long time ago, but some on the ethics board have a much higher opinion of themselves and what they are charged to do.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If we are laying all of the cards on the table these are the relevant facts. Legal degree not required.

1. Edsalls start date is irrelevant. In practice, the AD hires a head coach and has final approval of staff hiring even if the head coach is granted complete deference in staff selections.

2. Assistants are renewable contractual employees which are signed by the AD or Corp Counsel. Randy has zero authority ultimate hire/fire decisions. If the AD doesn't like a coaches performance he's out regardless of what the HC has to say even though they report to the HC.

3. This idea that Corey reports to the AD and not Randy is equally ridiculous and yet not relevant, see #2.

4. If Randy negotiated certain staff positions (a common thing in CFB) as a condition of taking the job then Randy didn't hire Corey, the AD did, see #1 and #2.

The position of the ethics board is that these positions are open to the public and that the person with the best objective qualifications should get the job as if it were a civil service exam.

If that is the case then the ethics board would have to explain how so many assistants in other sports happen to be UConn alumni?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I briefly spoke with CE at the Spring Game. Definitely not over and he did not make it sound like it was "close".

Reaction Score
I did not realize until now that there so MANY UConn FB haters out there!!!! So many of the comments were outright anti anything UConn when googled this issue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom