Anyone going to Olympics? | The Boneyard

Anyone going to Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t-gal

T for Trouble
Reaction Score
Hello All!

Is anyone going to the Olympics to see our women USA Team play? I'll be in London Aug 8-12 as I have tix to the Gold Medal Game and if the price is right may go to some semi-final games.

Cheers!
T

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks to Icebear, my travel agent and personal assistant. :)

Yeah, I'll be there August 2-13. I have tix to BOTH semi-final games. We're you able to get a finals ticket for under $400? If so, are there more? I think they were $480 or so when I last looked. Both of my sons were in London this spring, but neither could find anything better for tix.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I have heard that it is an unmatched experience. Several folks I used to talk to at Rutgers (friends of CVS) were her guests at the Athens Olympics when she was an asst. on the US team. Although they were not able to attend any high-profile finals in other sports, they did make various venues for events with less demand and had a wonderful time.

To anyone going - ENJOY - will be watching on TV.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have heard that it is an unmatched experience. Several folks I used to talk to at Rutgers (friends of CVS) were her guests at the Athens Olympics when she was an asst. on the US team. Although they were not able to attend any high-profile finals in other sports, they did make various venues for events with less demand and had a wonderful time.

To anyone going - ENJOY - will be watching on TV.
Thanks. I was in Atlanta in 1996, Sydney in 2000, and Salt Lake City in 2002.

Like any event, it is better seen on a widescreen TV because of the multitude of cameras at an event, but it is better experienced in person.

t-gal

T for Trouble
Reaction Score
Thanks, Icebear!

Milford- When the lottery request opened up last year, I put in for the best section possible...and got it! So no, my tix were not under $480. I was too scared that if I didn't start with that section then I might not get tix since it was based on availability. Also, add on fedex shipping charges b/c I would rather take my chances with tix in hand than use will call. They should be shipped here in the next couple of weeks. :D Does cosport.com not having anything cheaper? I haven't checked.

Knight - I couldn't agree more about it being an unmatched experience. Just the thought of our girls on the podium with the Gold Medals around their necks, the USA flag being raised, and our National Anthem being played chokes me up. I remember reading an article for the last Olympics where Sue Blauch was selected as a ref and she mentioned how intense the games were. Having pride when playing for your school or professional team is wonderful, but for your country, is on much different level. So I'll be there with my Taurasi USA jersey on, my blue UCONN hat, and the biggest smile that will last me for a long, long time.

I'll be sure to share some pictures, if that's okay with everyone. :)

Reaction Score
It was my childhood dream to go to the Olympics - as a participant. I was a pretty darn fast runner and might have actually gotten lined up with a professional track coach if my stupid parents didn't drag me away from Southern California into the vast wasteland of Nebraska when I was 12! But, it is still my dream to attend an Olympics at some point before my die. The top of my "bucket list", in fact. Maybe now that my kids are nearly grown and almost out of college I can start saving money for that dream trip. The London Olympics would have been perfect, as I have never been to London and England/London is one of my top 5 travel destinations "when I have time and can afford it".

C'est la vie! I am not going to complain, as I have had a pretty good life. There are still times for my travel dreams to come true. Now is not the time.

I will cheer Team USA on from home...maybe even stay up/get up in the wee hours to watch some events live.

Safe travels and have fun those lucky enough to go!

Reaction Score
Thanks to Icebeer, my travel agent and personal assistant. :)
How did Icebeer's last personnel review stack up? Any chance he'll be filing a Beer Glass Ceiling lawsuit against you?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How did Icebeer's last personnel review stack up? Any chance he'll be filing a Beer Glass Ceiling lawsuit against you?
I think he's praying for a good review this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks, Icebear!

Milford- When the lottery request opened up last year, I put in for the best section possible...and got it! So no, my tix were not under $480. I was too scared that if I didn't start with that section then I might not get tix since it was based on availability. Also, add on fedex shipping charges b/c I would rather take my chances with tix in hand than use will call. They should be shipped here in the next couple of weeks. :D Does cosport.com not having anything cheaper? I haven't checked.

Knight - I couldn't agree more about it being an unmatched experience. Just the thought of our girls on the podium with the Gold Medals around their necks, the USA flag being raised, and our National Anthem being played chokes me up. I remember reading an article for the last Olympics where Sue Blauch was selected as a ref and she mentioned how intense the games were. Having pride when playing for your school or professional team is wonderful, but for your country, is on much different level. So I'll be there with my Taurasi USA jersey on, my blue UCONN hat, and the biggest smile that will last me for a long, long time.

I'll be sure to share some pictures, if that's okay with everyone. :)
I missed the lottery, but got e-mails from CoSports about new quantities of tickets. The last I looked, the finals were about $480. I bought the semi-finals at about $240 each. Those were the cheapest and perhaps only prices for the semis. I too paid for shipping--I want the tix in my hand before I get on a plane.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It was my childhood dream to go to the Olympics - as a participant. I was a pretty darn fast runner and might have actually gotten lined up with a professional track coach if my stupid parents didn't drag me away from Southern California into the vast wasteland of Nebraska when I was 12! But, it is still my dream to attend an Olympics at some point before my die. The top of my "bucket list", in fact. Maybe now that my kids are nearly grown and almost out of college I can start saving money for that dream trip. The London Olympics would have been perfect, as I have never been to London and England/London is one of my top 5 travel destinations "when I have time and can afford it".

C'est la vie! I am not going to complain, as I have had a pretty good life. There are still times for my travel dreams to come true. Now is not the time.

I will cheer Team USA on from home...maybe even stay up/get up in the wee hours to watch some events live.

Safe travels and have fun those lucky enough to go!
T-gal and I will try to give you a vicarious experience with regular reports. Do you care about women's beach volleyball too? :)

Re your bucket list, I have 2 words for you: Rio 2016! We'll make it a Boneyard reunion.

Reaction Score
There is a young woman Lisa Stublic from Waterbury CT running in the marathon for Croatia. Her dad was from there and she moved there several years ago. She started running at Crosby High School in Waterbury. So excited for her! Cheer her on for us!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There is a young woman Lisa Stublic from Waterbury CT running in the marathon for Croatia. Her dad was from there and she moved there several years ago. She started running at Crosby High School in Waterbury. So excited for her! Cheer her on for us!
Will do. The marathon is one of my favorites. I watched the women's race in Sydney in 2000, then went out and ran about half the course as part of my training. I never felt so slow. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom