Anyone else not into the bowls? | The Boneyard

Anyone else not into the bowls?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Memphis is playing now, Houston plays later. I'm not anti-AAC by any means. I genuinely like this conference. But we're so bad right now, I don't really feel part of it. We're Temple in the days of Big East football, and that's destroyed my enthusiasm.

Reaction Score
Get registered in a big money Bowl Pool and you’ll find your interest rise exponentially. Plus watching gets you ready for projecting 2019. Example: BYU was impressive.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I enjoy the bowls, we just haven't seen many close games so far. Memphis/Wake was a good one, but tons of blowouts. Houston looks poised to continue that trend this afternoon

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Too many better players skipping these games
Ill watch the "final four" and "NC" game and most likely the UCF game
Other than that - meh.....................

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I’m going to turn in one our games to see better D.

Reaction Score
Get registered in a big money Bowl Pool and you’ll find your interest rise exponentially. Plus watching gets you ready for projecting 2019. Example: BYU was impressive.
I looked for a big money bowl pool but could not find one. Do you have any recommendations?

Reaction Score
I dont think anybody saw Army putting up 70 on Houston.

Too bad our "rock star AD" didn't hire Jeff Monken instead of BD. Of course, that would have taken some guts and it's always better to take the safe route when you only plan to be somewhere for a few years.

Monken had a great three years at Ga.Southern and then went FBS in his fourth year, went 7-4, and beat Florida in their season finale at Florida 26-20. Not bad but obviously not good enough for UConn.

Reaction Score
We’re so profoundly awful, it’s hard to care at all about the rest of CFB anymore. The success of other AAC teams isn’t making us any better. Just a depressing time for UConn sports.

Reaction Score
Like in any year there are too many Bowls between teams that hold little interest to many but they provide one of the true betting events for millions who would otherwise be disinterested. These early games have been awesome in that respect. Here’s s great example. When FIU scored late to beat Toledo, it was much more than a late game victory. It took the game total ”over”. This is a riot.

Last edited:

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I've always liked to watch the Hawaii Bowl. I gave that a solid two quarters last night.

Not really sure why I like the Hawaii Bowl. I find it strangely comforting in the way I used to find the Great Alaska Shootout comforting (RIP).

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Haven't watched much. I used to love Bowl Season.

Just saw the AAC is 1-3. Tulane is the only win....go figure

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
Zero interest. All needed to fill up 24/7 sports programming. You can glimpse the meaning of the these games from how many NFL-caliber players are sitting them out.

Reaction Score
NCAA football still has Bowl Games? I though once the playoffs were put into place there ended as everyone finally realized that of the 200 or so Bowl, people only really cared about the Rose and whatever Bowl resulted in a champion. Well, except for the business execs who used Bowl games as a tax write-off and excuse to socialize.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Zero interest. All needed to fill up 24/7 sports programming. You can glimpse the meaning of the these games from how many NFL-caliber players are sitting them out.
Yeah the yearly increase of these prospects sitting out makes Bowl Games even more meaningless than they used to be. If your star player cares more about making it to the next level then why even bother playing these games.

To be honest, I don't blame those players who sit out. Your shelf life in football is so short, why risk it in a meaningless bowl game.

These games exist to fill air time and line the pockets of the conferences and ESPN, who own practically every bowl game.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I haven't watched a single second of any bowl game. My Christmas wish already came true - a new defensive coordinator. If I watched any of these bowl games, I'll grow far too envious of all these dopey schools and their ability to tackle.

Reaction Score
Bowl games aren't my thing either, but I'm surprised so many are this apathetic about the sport in general. I don't buy that they're meaningless, not when the samples we use to determine the quality of teams and conferences are so small. I'm happy to root against the ACC because these bowl games matter for recruiting and national perception a lot more than you'd think. A good showing for a program like Temple against Duke, for instance, goes a long way towards cementing the narrative that they're still growing post Matt Rhule.

My impression is that most of the players bypassing the bowl games come from teams that had disappointing seasons and are just kind of ready to move on/get the draft process started, but I could be wrong.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Bowl games aren't my thing either, but I'm surprised so many are this apathetic about the sport in general. I don't buy that they're meaningless, not when the samples we use to determine the quality of teams and conferences are so small. I'm happy to root against the ACC because these bowl games matter for recruiting and national perception a lot more than you'd think. A good showing for a program like Temple against Duke, for instance, goes a long way towards cementing the narrative that they're still growing post Matt Rhule.

My impression is that most of the players bypassing the bowl games come from teams that had disappointing seasons and are just kind of ready to move on/get the draft process started, but I could be wrong.

As a Bryce Love fantasy owner....you aren’t wrong.

His down year killed my fantasy season

Reaction Score
I'm happy to root against the ACC because these bowl games matter for recruiting and national perception a lot more than you'd think. A good showing for a program like Temple against Duke, for instance, goes a long way towards cementing the narrative that they're still growing post Matt Rhule.

I would guess 95% of Temple and Duke fans don't even care about this game, much less any national perception. Just like a 6-6 Wake Forest winning against Memphis is irrelevant.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom