Anyone deep frying their turkey? | The Boneyard

Anyone deep frying their turkey?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If you are doing for the first time, please take a video of putting it in the oil.

Seriously, I've always wanted to give this a shot but haven't been able to convince the Mrs... yet.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
We were doing 3 every year for a while. Going home with a full fried turkey for sandwiches was amazing.

Just ease it in. As long as you go slow its fairly anti-climatic.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you are doing for the first time, please take a video of putting it in the oil.

Seriously, I've always wanted to give this a shot but haven't been able to convince the Mrs... yet.

haven’t done it but a friend smoked one and deep fried another a couple of years ago. Best two turkey’s I have had. Fried wins slightly.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I'm smoking one and roasting another. First time trying to smoke an entire one (did a turkey breast once) so I have to have the traditional roasted once in case I #$%@ up the smoked one.

It's going to be an early morning for me.

Reaction Score
We were doing 3 every year for a while. Going home with a full fried turkey for sandwiches was amazing.

Just ease it in. As long as you go slow its fairly anti-climatic.

tenor.gif

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You take your turkey, put it in the pot and fill it with water until the water line is 2 inches above the turkey.

Take the turkey out and make a mark where the water line now sits.

Fill the oil up to your mark. Heat and fry away. Not rocket science, kids.
That’s the correct way

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Doing one this year. Took a couple of years off when we moved to Florida.

But we are up in CT visiting the kids and grandkids so a deep fried bird is on the menu. Bird is thawed and dried. Oil has been measured and ready to go. 3 minutes a pound and time to eat.

Happy Thanksgiving Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Absolutely the only way to do the Turkey. Several pointers on how to do it right posted.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Also make sure it's dead first.

A true public service.

... and if you're looking for something to accompany your food prep, here's a 5-minute excerpt on a similar theme. The entire 50-minute reading is available on YouTube as well. The guy sure could write...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Fresh, not frozen.. dry turkey. The oil will be 2 inches higher in the pot with the turkey when its hot than when you measure it when its room temp. 3 minutes per pound. Amazing

Or, put turkey in pot and fill with water. Then remove turkey to see how high you need to fill with oil.
Definitely concur with dry patting turkey and slowly dripping in to pot mitigates 95%+ of mistakes.

And, oh yeah, do it out doors. Garage is not out doors.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Make sure it's fully thawed, Pat it dry with paper towels then I leave it overnight in the fridge so it continues to dry out. I pull it out about am hr or 2 before I drop it in so it comes up to room temp

Oil to 350 then it'll drop once the bird is in, then I keep it 325-350 and go 3min/lb. Lower it in slowly just in case it's still a little wet and you shouldn't get much splatter with the oil. Make sure to let it sit 15min or so before attempting to carve cause that sucker will be hot

My friend had video on his insta story from ours this past weekend but I'll see if I can find one...I use a $40 kit I got while drunk at Walmart midnight before Thanksgiving about 4 yrs ago. Works just fine for birds up to 18 lbs (we did a 20lb one year but that was a little sketchy)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm smoking one and roasting another. First time trying to smoke an entire one (did a turkey breast once) so I have to have the traditional roasted once in case I #$%@ up the smoked one.

It's going to be an early morning for me.

Pros do it overnight. Even in wildfire country

Reaction Score
My brother in law deep fries his turkey and I’ve never cared for it. I was thinking of trying it myself. Does anyone brine before deep frying?

Reaction Score
A true public service.

... and if you're looking for something to accompany your food prep, here's a 5-minute excerpt on a similar theme. The entire 50-minute reading is available on YouTube as well. The guy sure could write...

Not a seafood guy but I hear they taste better boiled live.

Reaction Score
How much oil do you need, and where can you buy so much peanut oil, for example?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom