anyone been noticing the calling of the games on SNY | The Boneyard

anyone been noticing the calling of the games on SNY

Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Knowledgable commentary, breaking down of plays, intelligent conversations, replays of interesting shots, etc. Such a difference from past years on CPTV. I actually enjoy it. How do you figure? Meghan is letting her intelligence break through and Eric is fine companion. So far, so fine!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
still more chat then play by play..chat appeara to come first, then what's happening on the floor..it is a bit better, but not as much as it could be

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Superb, but I much prefer Mary doing tund drives for CPTV over those repetitive commercials of sprinters for People's United Bank or those wretched sales pitches by "Bob," appealing for us to "Come on down" to buy his furniture. It's a long season for us TV viewers.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I like Kierith (not sure of the spelling) on the sideline with her reports. Gives very clear and consise up close reports.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I like Kierith (not sure of the spelling) on the sideline with her reports. Gives very clear and consise up close reports.
You should be down here and see her in person. :cool:

Reaction Score
A solid broadcast team. Yes, a good bit of chatter but it's mostly relevant, interesting stuff. I like announcers who do not constantly bloviate and who are not enamored with the sound of their own mellifluous voice. Hate those really talky ones who feel the need to tell the viewer where the ball is every nanosecond, who is handling it, how many ticks on the clock and on and on. This is not radio. Culmo and Frede present a very nice balance of objective play calling with a good helping of the requisite pro-UConn affection I like.

Reaction Score
Excellent broadcast team. They point out the good and bad for UConn but also the opponent and keep things interesting in blowouts.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Superb, but I much prefer Mary doing tund drives for CPTV over those repetitive commercials of sprinters for People's United Bank or those wretched sales pitches by "Bob," appealing for us to "Come on down" to buy his furniture. It's a long season for us TV viewers.:rolleyes:

As a former (30+ years) Connecticut resident, now living in New Mexico, those ads bring back fond memories, at least for a moment. But I have found the mute button a very satisfactory way to end the repetition (at least from an aural point of view).

Reaction Score
I agree, SNY is a step up from CPTV, but I also have a lot of respect for what CPTV did for us (we had a thread about this a few weeks ago). BTW, SNY had a great special on the team just prior to last nights game. I see that it was repeated again today. Excellent hour of interviews and practice footage.

Reaction Score

That's what the remote is for. I record and then eliminate when viewing the game. I also eliminated Mary on CPTV which I found even more annoying. If you have to see the game in real time there is always the MUTE button. No reason to listen to the commercials and you can close your eyes so you don't see them. I much prefer SNY and especially Kerith's comments and reporting. Megan has been better once she got away from Bob Picozzi.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
She's gotten much better in my book. I give her a "really," even. Complete transformation.

Reaction Score
Well, I can't agree with the praise of these two. I liked Eric early on, before he drank the Kool-Aid. Do we really need to hear any more of "this team is a work in progress", and " who's going to step up and lead this team"? Meghan's constant criticism of things done and not done by players is not my idea of analytic commentary. Just two examples of head-scratching comments made last night: she criticized Breanna for not boxing out a Vandy player, when, in fact, Breanna was behind the player as the shot went up. For Breanna to have gotten around the opponent, and legally boxed her out would have been quite feat, even for a player of Breanna's talent. And her comment regarding a rather long pass made by , I believe Kia Nurse, to Stewart which she thought was ill-advised. No problem in stating that she thought the pass was ill-advised, but to "make things even worse", she stated, the pass was the cause for Breanna committing a foul. In her attempt to fill the air with something at times, she just says things that leave me saying, "WHAT"? I know I'm in the distinct minority here, but I really don't think that her depth of understanding of the game allows for more incisive analysis. P.S. Oh, and it is really annoying when "Culmo's Courtvision" and replays are being shown while the game is actually in progress.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Back to the men.
That's what the remote is for. I record and then eliminate when viewing the game. I also eliminated Mary on CPTV which I found even more annoying. If you have to see the game in real time there is always the MUTE button. No reason to listen to the commercials and you can close your eyes so you don't see them. I much prefer SNY and especially Kerith's comments and reporting. Megan has been better once she got away from Bob Picozzi.

I find that I disagree much more with Meghan- much more than I used to. Though she still is enjoyable to listen to. I've always liked her whether CPTV or here. I never had a problem with her. I know there are those that thought she talked too much - I was fine with her call. Never felt she did.

Back to th men - Down by 4 - let's go UCONN!

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Thanks, Boomtown for this insightful critique. I think what I've been noticing is at least she seems to be interested in the game and in starting to do analysis, and not so much of the mindless ho ho ho's that once prevailed (or so it seemed to me). So I see a big improvement. And we can always read analysis later on the BBY and in DD'sDen.

Reaction Score
Well, I can't agree with the praise of these two. I liked Eric early on, before he drank the Kool-Aid. Do we really need to hear any more of "this team is a work in progress", and " who's going to step up and lead this team"? Meghan's constant criticism of things done and not done by players is not my idea of analytic commentary. Just two examples of head-scratching comments made last night: she criticized Breanna for not boxing out a Vandy player, when, in fact, Breanna was behind the player as the shot went up. For Breanna to have gotten around the opponent, and legally boxed her out would have been quite feat, even for a player of Breanna's talent. And her comment regarding a rather long pass made by , I believe Kia Nurse, to Stewart which she thought was ill-advised. No problem in stating that she thought the pass was ill-advised, but to "make things even worse", she stated, the pass was the cause for Breanna committing a foul. In her attempt to fill the air with something at times, she just says things that leave me saying, "WHAT"? I know I'm in the distinct minority here, but I really don't think that her depth of understanding of the game allows for more incisive analysis. P.S. Oh, and it is really annoying when "Culmo's Courtvision" and replays are being shown while the game is actually in progress.[/QUOT

I think she means it as constructive criticism, but sometimes it may not come off that way. It's the laugh that I could use a little les of. ;)

Reaction Score
I like that Eric is very conscientious about who made the basket, who got the board,
and who is subbing in and out. Even when a Meghan anecdote runs into the next
possession, Eric goes back to say who made the shot/rebound from the previous possession.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well, I can't agree with the praise of these two. I liked Eric early on, before he drank the Kool-Aid. Do we really need to hear any more of "this team is a work in progress", and " who's going to step up and lead this team"? Meghan's constant criticism of things done and not done by players is not my idea of analytic commentary. Just two examples of head-scratching comments made last night: she criticized Breanna for not boxing out a Vandy player, when, in fact, Breanna was behind the player as the shot went up. For Breanna to have gotten around the opponent, and legally boxed her out would have been quite feat, even for a player of Breanna's talent. And her comment regarding a rather long pass made by , I believe Kia Nurse, to Stewart which she thought was ill-advised. No problem in stating that she thought the pass was ill-advised, but to "make things even worse", she stated, the pass was the cause for Breanna committing a foul. In her attempt to fill the air with something at times, she just says things that leave me saying, "WHAT"? I know I'm in the distinct minority here, but I really don't think that her depth of understanding of the game allows for more incisive analysis. P.S. Oh, and it is really annoying when "Culmo's Courtvision" and replays are being shown while the game is actually in progress.
It is, also, irritating when Meghan's interpretation of what happened doesn't match the video. She called out Saniya for not staying in front of her player but on the illustration Saniya was heavily picked by a Vandy player. You can't tell if her teammate told her the pick was coming but that it critical. The ball handler then crosses over behind the screen and comes back past Saniya who is still recovering from being turned by the pick. Not a great example of not keeping your player in front of you defensively.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And her comment regarding a rather long pass made by , I believe Kia Nurse, to Stewart which she thought was ill-advised. No problem in stating that she thought the pass was ill-advised, but to "make things even worse", she stated, the pass was the cause for Breanna committing a foul.
She and the officials missed the call on that play as the Secondary Vandy defender was standing on the inner line marking the area under the hoop. But I agree it wasn't the pass that caused Stewie's situation as she could have simply turned and shot not closing on the basket.

Reaction Score
I like Eric Frede. He has done quite a few games and is an experienced announcer. I also think the addition of Kerith Burke has turned the SNY broadcasts into a winner. She's very professional. Love that they have a sideline reporter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom