Anybody watching A&M/Bama at tailgate? | The Boneyard

Anybody watching A&M/Bama at tailgate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last year my buddies and I were able to pull off watching the UConn/Mich St bball opener while tailgating by bringing a TV, generator, and setting up a Wifi hotspot to get ESPN3. From there we streamed it from a laptop. Surprisingly it worked out perfectly and is one of the best tailgate memories I have. However with this game being on CBS I'm not sure how we'd do it. If anyone has advice/tips that'd be great

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It should be on one of "those" websites that gets floated around here every so often. My question is how are you setting up a WI-FI hotspot?

Reaction Score
It should be on one of "those" websites that gets floated around here every so often. My question is how are you setting up a WI-FI hotspot?

set up a personal hot spot on an Iphone

Husky25

Reaction Score
set up a personal hot spot on an Iphone
I have a Samsung III Galaxy S. I think I can do it on that, but I don't know the technical requirements (i.e. any additional costs).

It was bandied about a couple weeks ago that if you have a shared plan (I currently have a 2GB plan with my wife), that Verizon can't charge anymore, but it eats up data. I didn't find anything definitive on their website and our billing cycle doesn't end until the 25th.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Last year my buddies and I were able to pull off watching the UConn/Mich St bball opener while tailgating by bringing a TV, generator, and setting up a Wifi hotspot to get ESPN3. From there we streamed it from a laptop. Surprisingly it worked out perfectly and is one of the best tailgate memories I have. However with this game being on CBS I'm not sure how we'd do it. If anyone has advice/tips that'd be great

Just buy a $10 antenna from Wal Mart. You'll get CBS in beautiful HD over their air (you may be too young to know about all that though)

A299-1138-main-ld.jpg

Husky25

Reaction Score
Just buy a $10 antenna from Wal Mart. You'll get CBS in beautiful HD over their air (you may be too young to know about all that though)

A299-1138-main-ld.jpg

This still holds true? I thought the all digital conversion precluded the rabbit ears antennae.

This brings me back a few years before the digital conversion. I brought my 13" dormroom tv to a UConn night game tailgate so we could watch the ND game. I powered it off an inverter from the car battery and simple rabbit ears got me a decent, not spectacular, picture from Channel 30. More and more people started to congregate under our tent and then one of the idiots parked nearby had the nerve to make a comment about the picture quality. I told him he was free not to watch the game and almost in unison, the group that gathered around (people we didn't even know) dressed this moron down.

It was quite entertaining.

Reaction Score
You can use your phone as a hot spot if you root it (Android) or jailbreak it (iPhone). I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. You just google: <model of phone> root for Android. Then you can use something like Barnacle WiFi and connect via that to your 4G.

Or you can use an HD antenna. I'd love to do it but generators are pretty expensive and as a renter I have no other use for them.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You can use your phone as a hot spot if you root it (Android) or jailbreak it (iPhone). I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. You just google: <model of phone> root for Android. Then you can use something like Barnacle WiFi and connect via that to your 4G.

Or you can use an HD antenna. I'd love to do it but generators are pretty expensive and as a renter I have no other use for them.

This part I know for sure...You don't need a generator. An invertor plugged into your cigarette...err...I mean motor vehicle power adaptor, works just fine. In order to make sure you don't run the battery dry, start the engine every now and again for 10 minutes and the alternator charges your battery.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Rabbit ears pull in HDTV just fine- you just need a TV tuner that knows what to do with a digital signal. (ie, you can't just hook up rabbit ears to a 20 year old TV and start watching locals in HD). Hook em up to a modern TV and odds are good you are in business. (Depends on your TV)

If you are going the wifi hotspot route, and aren't still grandfathered on one of Verizon's unlimited plans- wifi hotspot is a feature you are already paying for. Just turn it on on your iPhone or android, no need to root or jailbreak. It will, however, use lots of data.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
This still holds true? I thought the all digital conversion precluded the rabbit ears antennae.

This brings me back a few years before the digital conversion. I brought my 13" dormroom tv to a UConn night game tailgate so we could watch the ND game. I powered it off an inverter from the car battery and simple rabbit ears got me a decent, not spectacular, picture from Channel 30. More and more people started to congregate under our tent and then one of the idiots parked nearby had the nerve to make a comment about the picture quality. I told him he was free not to watch the game and almost in unison, the group that gathered around (people we didn't even know) dressed this moron down.

It was quite entertaining.

I use that exact antenna to watch HD games on my patio every weekend. That same process will now get you all the local networks in HD.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score

You can get an invertor and deep cycle marine battery for about $150 total (including the battery charger you'll need to recharge each week).

Reaction Score
I have a 4G LTE mifi for these types of situations. With a 20G family plan.

Reaction Score
Has anyone actually pulled off the rabbit ears antennae at the Rentschler lot? Not sure if the size and amounts of people in the field would affect the ability to get a signal

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Has anyone actually pulled off the rabbit ears antennae at the Rentschler lot? Not sure if the size and amounts of people in the field would affect the ability to get a signal
It was a few years ago now, but I've done it. All this talk about it is making think of doing it again tomorrow. I'm thinking a power inverter should be all I need to run a small-ish LCD TV... Hook up the antenna and go.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Rabbit ears pull in HDTV just fine- you just need a TV tuner that knows what to do with a digital signal. (ie, you can't just hook up rabbit ears to a 20 year old TV and start watching locals in HD). Hook em up to a modern TV and odds are good you are in business. (Depends on your TV)

If you are going the wifi hotspot route, and aren't still grandfathered on one of Verizon's unlimited plans- wifi hotspot is a feature you are already paying for. Just turn it on on your iPhone or android, no need to root or jailbreak. It will, however, use lots of data.
I use that exact antenna to watch HD games on my patio every weekend. That same process will now get you all the local networks in HD.

I think the tuner or a new model tv is the key for me. As I said, I went to school with the TV I used prior to the all-digital conversion.

Husky25

Reaction Score
sort of defeats the purpose of using it tomorrow if we have to order it off the Internet. Which brick and Mortar store are they available at?

(Sorry for all the ???s)

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
It was a few years ago now, but I've done it. All this talk about it is making think of doing it again tomorrow. I'm thinking a power inverter should be all I need to run a small-ish LCD TV... Hook up the antenna and go.

A 40" Tv will use about 120 watt. If you have a 500 Watt inverter, you can run an LCD tv and fan no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom