Any word from our superhero Aresco? | The Boneyard

Any word from our superhero Aresco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NCAA Committee spokesman got on the tube and said SMU was not good enough because of a strength of schedule of 137.
How then, is Wichita St. a number one seed in said tourney with an SOS of 112???
Where is the outrage?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
NCAA Committee spokesman got on the tube and said SMU was not good enough because of a strength of schedule of 137.
How then, is Wichita St. a number one seed in said tourney with an SOS of 112???
Where is the outrage?
I'm pretty sure if smu was 32-0 they would be a #1 seed too. SMU OOC was frisking abysmal. I'm guessing they, and other AAC teams, will fix that so it's not a huge issue going forward. Their RPI was in the mid 50's, it isn't really hard to understand why they would get left out. The big lesson is that AP/coaches/USA today polls aren't worth paying attention to. Spend more time looking at RPI, BPI, KENPOM, SOS, etc.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure if smu was 32-0 they would be a #1 seed too. SMU OOC was frisking abysmal. I'm guessing they, and other AAC teams, will fix that so it's not a huge issue going forward. Their RPI was in the mid 50's, it isn't really hard to understand why they would get left out. The big lesson is that AP/coaches/USA today polls aren't worth paying attention to. Spend more time looking at RPI, BPI, KENPOM, SOS, etc.

The difference between their two SOS's is 25. The difference between a one seed and 69+ is much greater. Point is, they have basically the same crappy SOS, yet one is a one seed and the AAC team is not in the tourney. And thats not even getting into quality wins.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
The difference between their two SOS's is 25. The difference between a one seed and 69+ is much greater. Point is, they have basically the same crappy SOS, yet one is a one seed and the AAC team is not in the tourney. And thats not even getting into quality wins.

I'm not big on RPI numbers, but it's pretty apparent the selection committee is. This one stands out to me:

vs the RPI top 25:
Wichita St - 0-0
SMU - 3-4

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The difference between going undefeated and losing a bunch of games, some of them the dregs of division 1, while having an OOC SOS of 295 and 53 RPI, is at least enough to give us a reasonable excuse as to why they were left out. I understand wanting to come up with reasons the AAC got screwed, I just don't think this is our strongest argument. (See louisville, 4 seed)

Reaction Score
I'm not big on RPI numbers, but it's pretty apparent the selection committee is. This one stands out to me:

vs the RPI top 25:
Wichita St - 0-0
SMU - 3-4

?
So the answer is do not play anybody in the rpi top 25??

Reaction Score
The difference between going undefeated and losing a bunch of games, some of them the dregs of division 1, while having an OOC SOS of 295 and 53 RPI, is at least enough to give us a reasonable excuse as to why they were left out. I understand wanting to come up with reasons the AAC got screwed, I just don't think this is our strongest argument. (See louisville, 4 seed)

You are missing the point. That is, if your explanation/reason to keep them out is their strength of schedule, you cannot make Wich st a one seed with the same SOS! If that was the explanation given, which it was, then the committee is lying. Wich St should have been given a 4 or 5 at best.
BTW, according to your logic, a school should just schedule Maine, UNH and the likes all year, sprinkle in a few top 100 rpi teams and if you are undefeated not be questioned as a number one seed.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
You are missing the point. That is, if your explanation/reason to keep them out is their strength of schedule, you cannot make Wich st a one seed with the same SOS! If that was the explanation given, which it was, then the committee is lying. Wich St should have been given a 4 or 5 at best.
BTW, according to your logic, a school should just schedule Maine, UNH and the likes all year, sprinkle in a few top 100 rpi teams and if you are undefeated not be questioned as a number one seed.
Their OOC SOS is a joke. They lost games, in conference, to horrid teams. Their RPI was 53. My point is there is a reasonable explanation for their exclusion. Is the SOS argument also one that could support WSU being a 3 or 4? Yes. However, when a team goes 32-0, has a solid RPI and played in the final four last year I think the countervailing argument is stronger.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
NC State and Iowa have more good losses than anyone. I guess that is what is important.

Reaction Score
Their OOC SOS is a joke. They lost games, in conference, to horrid teams. Their RPI was 53. My point is there is a reasonable explanation for their exclusion. Is the SOS argument also one that could support WSU being a 3 or 4? Yes However, when a team goes 32-0, has a solid RPI and played in the final four last year I think the countervailing argument is stronger.

Being undefeated believe it or not will always give you a solid rpi as long as you sprinkle in a few top 100's as I said. And its about this year, not last year. And if you want to talk about horrid losses, then you need to mention big time wins. You just keep ignoring the op however. You cant apply one set of rules for deciding on one team and the opposite to decide on the other.

Is the SOS argument also one that could support WSU being a 3 or 4? Yes

Yes, that is the point of the op. Thank you.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Is the SOS argument also one that could support WSU being a 3 or 4? Yes

Yes, that is the point of the op. Thank you.

Only if that is your only data point. When you add an undefeated season it's not a persuasive argument.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Their OOC SOS is a joke. They lost games, in conference, to horrid teams. Their RPI was 53. My point is there is a reasonable explanation for their exclusion. Is the SOS argument also one that could support WSU being a 3 or 4? Yes. However, when a team goes 32-0, has a solid RPI and played in the final four last year I think the countervailing argument is stronger.

You can't look at them in a vacuum...standards were applied to the AAC teams that were not applied to other programs. The conference was dismissed from top to bottom by the committee.

Again, I hate conspiracy theories, but you have a couple of ACC guys on the committee, one of whom heads it...and the AAC loses a spot to an ACC team that NO ONE had on their brackets. And the ACC teams are treated very well in terms of seeds and opponents while the AAC dropped inexplicably down the ladder. Little things that add up to big money, I might add.

And putting three AAC team into one bracket...wow.

Reaction Score
Only if that is your only data point. When. You add an undefeated season it's not a persuasive argument.[/q

OK, you dont like to admit when you are wrong. Peace.

Reaction Score
SMU getting snubbed hurts. But what other at-large school should have been bumped for them. Doesn't matter where Wichita St is.
i'm guessing that too many low ranked teams got the auto bid meaning more deserving teams took the at large bids.
haven't done any analysis on that, but that's my theory.

Reaction Score
SMU getting snubbed hurts. But what other at-large school should have been bumped for them. Doesn't matter where Wichita St is.
i'm guessing that too many low ranked teams got the auto bid meaning more deserving teams took the at large bids.
haven't done any analysis on that, but that's my theory.

BYU

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Any at large lower than a 10 seed. How many have 3 top 25 wins? The talking heads soil themselves when a mid major team beats a middling team from major.conference. The goal posts move for the AAC.

Reaction Score
Again, I hate conspiracy theories, but you have a couple of ACC guys on the committee, one of whom heads it...and the AAC loses a spot to an ACC team that NO ONE had on their brackets. And the ACC teams are treated very well in terms of seeds and opponents while the AAC dropped inexplicably down the ladder. Little things that add up to big money, I might add.

Putting all three AAC in one region is insane to me. Few people are talking about this but I feel this is the biggest slight of them all.

Reaction Score
You can't look at them in a vacuum...standards were applied to the AAC teams that were not applied to other programs. The conference was dismissed from top to bottom by the committee.

Wait until Louisville wins it all and ESPN talks about yet another ACC team winning it all without a peep about the American. Heck, Swofford will be on the podium with Pitino while Aresco is bound, gagged, and stuffed into a locker.

Reaction Score

Unbelievable that they did this. To the point that they aren't even trying to hide their agenda. They're trying to starve us.

As for our fate on the court, facing St. Joe's and hopefully Nova is fair enough. Iowa St...tough match up to say the least...if we face them we will have to be at our best.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Wichita State is a one seed because they won every game. The real question is SMU vs. NC State. SMU has a flawed resume, no question. But I have yet to see an argument that NC State has a better one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom