Any thoughts on the Triangle and 2 defense? | The Boneyard

Any thoughts on the Triangle and 2 defense?

Reaction Score
The triangle and 2 is designed to stop the other team's top 2 scoring guards. One would think Azzi and Lou. It's no surprise that both Lou and Azzi started slowly. I like the adjustments they made but I don't think this will be the end of that option against us under the current lineup configuration. It would seem to force that third guard to shoot wouldn't it or at least leave them more open for shots.

Reaction Score
Just love the triangle A, Azzi, Aubrey and Aaliyah and Lou, Nika and Caroline plus Ayanna.

Just love all 7 players ...;)

Reaction Score
Triangle-and-2 is even more vulnerable to perimeter shooting than a plain-vanilla zone. It's also vulnerable to clear outs.

Do we have a third perimeter shooter? I'm pretty sure the answer is a big yes!

Can we drive the lane? Again, a big yes.

They were able to stay in this defense for as long as they did because our shooters were cold. But we got a number of layups off it. As soon as Azzi and Lou and Caroline started hitting from outside, that defense was toast.

Reaction Score
It only works against teams that have just two scorers. Having said that, I expect we'll see it again.

Reaction Score
Bring it on I say. It's what possibly undermanned teams should do to get equal footing. Adjustments had to be made and Geno used his time outs wisely for the purpose. Read below and one will see why Azzi's mid range game rendered the Tri and 2 playing into her hands like a glove. #1 under weaknesses of that particular zone.

A great game and a very good experience all around for our Huskies and Iowa. We will see zones down the road so it was another learning experience.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The triangle and 2 is designed to stop the other team's top 2 scoring guards. One would think Azzi and Lou. It's no surprise that both Lou and Azzi started slowly. I like the adjustments they made but I don't think this will be the end of that option against us under the current lineup configuration. It would seem to force that third guard to shoot wouldn't it or at least leave them more open for shots.
It's actually designed to stop the best perimeter shooters on the other team, guards or no. Yes, technically it's a junk defense. But technically any defense that isn't M2M is a junk defense. In my mind, any defense that gets results is a good defense. This was the first time I can remember that Azzi has ever seen this type of defense, and certainly the first for the team this year. Azzi's going to have to get used to the many "junk" defenses coaches will throw at her. But I'm reminded of what Lindsey Allan said of playing against Geno. She faced pretty much every kind of defense to stop her, including this diamond and two and the box and one defense. For her she said they were all lessons in basketball that served her well, learning that she could effectively attack anything the defense threw at her. The same for Azzi. The next time she see's it she'll react immediately. What defenses are going to learn, and what I've said since I saw her play in HS, is that her pull up going from left to right is deadly, and stopping that movement will soon become the other teams point of focus. Azzi will then learn to adapt to that as well.

Reaction Score
ANY defense that can be used against Uconn will only work, if it did work, until Geno figures how to combat it. It's the very reason he has 1000 more wins than losses. I give Geno Kudos for being the BEST coach in women's BB.GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Watch the game again. I’m gunna.
She used this D in the 3rd, while she was getting torched. She used an extended zone in the first half during their run.
I’m gunna verify, but I think we shredded her junk D.
IMO a junk D is a D that purposely leaves people open. It’s that ‘fear of being so open” that makes it effective. Newsflash: UConn has good players.
She was grasping at anything that would work at that point of the game. UConn flipped the game in a flash, down 11, up the same. Boom!!

Reaction Score
Azzi's pull up was a key to beating that defense. Shooting in general from either side of the top of the key was open. I bet Azzi is shooting well over 60% with that pull up jumper for the year. She is the total package for sure. Another key was that third perimeter shooter ( Caroline in this instance ).

I'd take Azzi in a heat beat over Clark. I get that lots of people would like Clark in the pro game but Azzi is so efficient and consistently efficient. Solid in all aspects of her game. I also sense that she is going to continue to improve and should be pretty durable long term.

Reaction Score
Azzi's pull up was a key to beating that defense. Shooting in general from either side of the top of the key was open. I bet Azzi is shooting well over 60% with that pull up jumper for the year. She is the total package for sure. Another key was that third perimeter shooter ( Caroline in this instance ).

I'd take Azzi in a heat beat over Clark. I get that lots of people would like Clark in the pro game but Azzi is so efficient and consistently efficient. Solid in all aspects of her game. I also sense that she is going to continue to improve and should be pretty durable long term.
Wow, I thought you didn’t like Azzi or was that Nika?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is a sign of a veteran team to call up the 'junk defense' this early in a season - helps that the starters are in their third year together. I thought Uconn was a little passive in the second quarter which played into the struggles more than specifically the defense they were playing against, and they were not hitting open shots and making sloppy passes. Edwards hitting her jumpers was the only thing Uconn could depend on and she was being left open in those mid court gaps which is the other key to defeating zones. Azzi was doing it in the third quarter as well.

Reaction Score
Wow, I thought you didn’t like Azzi or was that Nika?
That's me. Just a horrible, repetitive, tedious guy. Go ahead and play Nika twice as many minutes as Aubrey and Caroline every game. I'm sure it's the ideal course of action going forward. You have official sanction to dump on me 3 or 4 times a day and I'm supposed to just take it. All because I think Caroline and Aubrey are better players. I must be a near ogre at this point. How could I have that perspective?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
That's me. Just a horrible, repetitive, tedious guy. Go ahead and play Nika twice as many minutes as Aubrey and Caroline every game. I'm sure it's the ideal course of action going forward. You have official sanction to dump on me 3 or 4 times a day and I'm supposed to just take it. All because I think Caroline and Aubrey are better players. I must be a near ogre at this point. How could I have that perspective?
Apparently, you don't believe Geno knows what he is doing regarding the starting line-up. I agree that Caroline may be a better all-around player than Nika, but what has that got to do with it. You can't win titles with just offence. I don't think Geno would play Nika for 40 minutes against arguably the best player in the country even though she was sick if he didn't think she could do the job. Yes, we have great shooters. The problem is, how many can create their own shot? How many of them can get open by themselves with the ball. Let's see, Azzi, Lou? Nika has accumulated 3 double digit assists games in a row. She is the one who sets the table, gets the ball to the player that can get open. The team seems to be doing pretty well so far, beating 3 top ten teams. I've always said, we need someone coming off the bench that can make a difference, and today, that was Caroline. So, whether it is Caroline, Lou, or Dorka. We need that difference on the bench. They will all get the minutes they deserve, so leave Nika be to do what she does. They are all on the same team, and as far as I can see, what he puts on the court is working to perfection.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
at least, the Iowa kids got some math instruction. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom