Any port recommendation for first-timer? | The Boneyard

Any port recommendation for first-timer?

Reaction Score
Hi, going to Portugal for 12 days in a few weeks, love wine but have never had port, thought I'd try some ahead of time. Any recommendations? Just looking for something decent but not expensive (aren't we all). Is port like sherry?

Reaction Score
Hi, going to Portugal for 12 days in a few weeks, love wine but have never had port, thought I'd try some ahead of time. Any recommendations? Just looking for something decent but not expensive (aren't we all). Is port like sherry?

Are you going to Porto? Just walk across the bridge and get anything TBH. I think I enjoyed Burmester when I was in the city most.

Reaction Score
Are you going to Porto? Just walk across the bridge and get anything TBH. I think I enjoyed Burmester when I was in the city most.
Yes, flying into Lisbon then getting rental car and driving out to Evora, 2 nights, then Tomar, 1 night, then Duoro Valley, Lamego 1 night, then Porto, 3 nights, then Coimbra, 1 night, then Lisbon, 3 nights, then fly back home. I just wanted to try something here before I go.

Reaction Score
Yes, flying into Lisbon then getting rental car and driving out to Evora, 2 nights, then Tomar, 1 night, then Duoro Valley, Lamego 1 night, then Porto, 3 nights, then Coimbra, 1 night, then Lisbon, 3 nights, then fly back home. I just wanted to try something here before I go.

Sounds fun. Make sure you go to Sintra and eat pasteis until you puke.

Reaction Score
A buddy and I got offered a switch to connecting flight deal from Continental ~25 years ago, instead of flying direct to Madrid stopped in Lisbon for 5hrs and they paid $250 or so for the trouble. Toured a park and then had lunch and beers on top of a small tower somewhere downtown. Did a quick search of top rooftop bars and don't see it. So my advice is sit next to a local on the plane like I did, get recommendations and buy him a drink for the trouble.

Reaction Score
Try a white port

Sandeman Apitiv White Port Reserve. Usually around $20

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
How long do we have to respond to this thread? 75 minutes?

Reaction Score
Remember that port is at least twice as strong than regular wine when drinking it

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Portugal is wonderful, you'll have a great trip. I'm not sure if you've heard of Monsanto, but we made it an unexpected stop and definitely didn't regret it. Braga is also quite nice. Oporto and Lisbon of course.

I would suggest trying a vintage port from a major house (Taylor Fladgate, Dow's, Warre's, Graham's, Quinta do Nova). If those names sound mostly English you've just learned something about Port.
I would also suggest trying a tawny port at least 10 years old. Same houses are also good, but I think the others also do a pretty good job with Tawny port, where the quality of the grapes matters a bit less.

If you visit Oporto itself, then I'd suggest getting a lunch or something at one of the Port houses (I did at Taylor) where they will have lots of ports to try, including white port. Most of the major Port houses are actually across the river from old historic Oporto, in Vila Nova de Gaia. It's actually easier to reach by car.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Remember that port is at least twice as strong than regular wine when drinking it
It's about 50% stronger than most red win, usually 19-20%, where most red wines are 13.5-14.5 (some big Zins at 15). White wines would be less. Way more sugar though, they are calorie bombs (which is why I mostly stopped drinking them even though I love them).

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Love Portugal. My favorite.

If you're going to be in the Douro Valley rec this vineyard.

pj

Reaction Score
I like 20 year Tawny. Try a few and find one you like.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I didn't think Coimbra was worth more thaan the old library visit myself.

Before you go, try some 10 or 20 yr Tawny port and some Late Bottle VIntage (LBV) ruby port, those are really the best: tawny vs ruby - two different takes. Agree any of the houses in Porto are great to visit, try sandemans or taylor's, but any of them will give you the variety of types and tastes.
We loved this restaurant in Porto: O Paparico . Plan to spend time in Sintra. It's a neat little village and the castles are unbelievable - think cinderella but you can go all over the castle yourself. We also stayed at this winery in the Duoro valley - it was amzing food and we got a 3 hour tour with the winemaster :Quinta do Portal | Douro Wine and Tourism

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 105

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Assuming you have booked places to stay but I have a favorable opinion of the Pousadas. We stayed in three of them. Government hotels, often in historic buildings. They usually have restaurants that focus on local recipes and foods. Book your Stay at Pousadas Portugal Official Website!

Reaction Score
Gosh, I think I planned pretty well as it is, but I wish I had some of these suggestions a few weeks ago when I had to choose hotels and itinerary. Speaking of port, I did get a bottle of Taylor Fladgate 2016 Reserve Port, about $18 so not too bad, this weekend when we dye Ukrainian Easter eggs, we'll try it.

Coimbra is our stop between Porto and Lisbon, besides the library, just north is great Roman baths ruins of Conimbriga. Coimbra makes sense to see these things, also on the way there we'll stop at Alverio, the Venice of Portugal.

Not sure I can make it to Monsanto, but there are other small villages in the area around Evora that are supposed to be nice. People call this area an undiscovered Tuscany- old historic villages, cork forests, plenty of good wine.

The only area we can't see this time at all is the Algarve, the southern part where the Mediterranean coast is located. It looks gorgeous! Hopefully, next time.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Gosh, I think I planned pretty well as it is, but I wish I had some of these suggestions a few weeks ago when I had to choose hotels and itinerary. Speaking of port, I did get a bottle of Taylor Fladgate 2016 Reserve Port, about $18 so not too bad, this weekend when we dye Ukrainian Easter eggs, we'll try it.

Coimbra is our stop between Porto and Lisbon, besides the library, just north is great Roman baths ruins of Conimbriga. Coimbra makes sense to see these things, also on the way there we'll stop at Alverio, the Venice of Portugal.

Not sure I can make it to Monsanto, but there are other small villages in the area around Evora that are supposed to be nice. People call this area an undiscovered Tuscany- old historic villages, cork forests, plenty of good wine.

The only area we can't see this time at all is the Algarve, the southern part where the Mediterranean coast is located. It looks gorgeous! Hopefully, next time.
You’ll have a blast. Algarve is England’s Florida. Nearly every UK person I’ve ever worked with goes there every winter. But to me, much less interesting than what you’re doing. Coimbra is worth it. So are the Roman baths.

Is your flight stopping in the Azores? That’s on my list for a future trip.

That port is fine. It is to a good vintage Port what a $12 wine is to a truly great Cab or Bordeaux. If you enjoy it defeintely seek out a nice vintage port and a tawny over 10 years to try. You’ll have plenty of chances. Ordinary Portuguese table wine is also terrific and cheap.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom