OT: Any lawn nuts here? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Any lawn nuts here?

C

Chief00

My advice was to get a soil test to see if you need lime. Your advice is "throw it down because its cheap". Okay.
7B8F3E7D-B6C4-4E29-A838-09E331ABDF73.png

Very misleading and disingenuous comment. The thrust of my post was if you lived in the Northeast the chance of not needing lime was extremely remote. Therefore, the casual home owner should disregard your earlier comment about throwing money away. With moderate lime application the risk of throwing money away was probably close to zero. And if you were in that category you would be just losing pocket change. The other factor is most people won’t get a soil test, so just put down a moderate application. The map above just kills your argument.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I've given up on my front lawn..........moved to all bushes and tall grasses..........and lots of rocks.............

Reaction Score
You're right chief, everyone in the red needs lime, every singe plot of land. Every university should shut down their soil test programs, because chief posted a map based on avg soil ph.

C

Chief00

You're right chief, everyone in the red needs lime, every singe plot of land. Every university should shut down their soil test programs, because chief posted a map based on avg soil ph.

Nice try to distort again - from my earlier post.
“ True within this area there are some local variations for various reasons and a test is always good - but as a long term poster - Chief seeks to understand the audience before he posts. How much time, complication and money are they willing to invest? ”

Now going back to enjoy my well deserved time away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Cheif, just admit you don't know shart about soils or lawns.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
View attachment 32754

Very misleading and disingenuous comment. The thrust of my post was if you lived in the Northeast the chance of not needing lime was extremely remote. Therefore, the casual home owner should disregard your earlier comment about throwing money away. With moderate lime application the risk of throwing money away was probably close to zero. And if you were in that category you would be just losing pocket change. The other factor is most people won’t get a soil test, so just put down a moderate application. The map above just kills your argument.
Great news if you live in the no data areas of the North Pole Antarctica and Greenland it doesn’t really matter if you lime or not since it’s hard to grow grass on ice.....

Reaction Score
First Ct AG Ex St. Windsor for soil test. Lots of LIME 100 lb ea. fall and spring . Hart's Wethersfield for Premium Blue Grass Seed (Golf Course Level). Seed and overseed. Irrigation System.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Damn @temery your lawn looks great. Mine looks like poop. Loads of crabgrass and areas of dry hard soil.

Reaction Score
I've given up on my front lawn.....moved to all bushes and tall grasses.....and lots of rocks...
I recomment the Vegas or mod approach to lawns. Either pave it with Green painted Asphault or cover it with stone covered plastic sheet. No watering (save the water it is not unlimited) save the moving, lawn guys, town complaining you are using too much water.
Same goes fpr pools, my happiest day was the day it was filled in. Chemicals unsafe for humans are used to keep it safe for humans??? Go figure??

Reaction Score
Bonide Ultra Weed Beater kills almost everything in the lawn - except the grass. Works for me.

One side of my lawn craps out by 4th of July every year. Can set your watch by it. I'm considering reseeding using Pearl's Premium grass seed around Labor Day. I'm sure there are others (Johnathan Green Black Beauty?) that claim same, but Pearls is genetically modified to grow deep (12") roots, thicken (suppresses weeds), needs very little water, needs fertilizer only once a year, grows slowly, and needs to be cut only once per month. Too good to be true? Some reviews are negative, but I'll find out. I'm in NJ, and the closest place that carries are some Costco in CT. May need to make special trip as the on-line shipping fee is outrageous.

Lawn and Grass Seed for Ultra Low Maintenance Lawns Pearl's Premium
I used Pearl once, it is truly crap.

C

Chief00

Tom’s lawn looks awesome. My lawn usually looks pretty good but been too dry this summer. Showers have gone north or south of us numerous times the last couple months. Finally, got some meaningful rain today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom