Any chance of NNNNNBE and Mountain West Merger? | The Boneyard

Any chance of NNNNNBE and Mountain West Merger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was wondering if there still is any chance that our current conference (whatever it's name is) would consider merging with the Mountain West or any other conference to somewhat strengthen the overall product? Although it would be a conglomerate of misfit toys, it would be better than our current situation.

Reaction Score
They should work together. Keep two separate conferences but have the two conference champions play each other for the BCS bowl bid. This would make both conferences much stronger as fans from each would be more likely to watch the other conferences games and they would own that final major bid.

Maybe we should name our conference the Mountain East conference.

Reaction Score
That was my original thought, but didn't have time to spell it out. My thinking is that there would be an "affiliation" between the two conferences, culminating in a cross-conference championship for the right to go to a BCS game. Have NBC pick up our conference, along with the Mountain West (which they currently have) and televise both conferences games. Play cross-conference match-ups (Roughly 2-3 cross conference games) to makes sure that keep some of the more popular names (San Diego State, Boise State, UConn, Cincy, etc) have the opportunity to play other teams. I have no idea what the total number of conference games we'll play because I'm not sure what the current form of our conference will look like after the shakeout, but I think this would be a pretty good idea to keep both conferences viable. Set up the schedule so we play 7 conference games, 3 cross conference games, and two OOC games. Decent formula, but I can't quite figure out the numbers yet because I don't know who will be and wont be here next season

Reaction Score
I like this idea alot better than the options that currently exist. I think the NNNBE schools should go further. The Mountain West has nine members currently. The NNNBE schools should break away from the Providence cabal that represented them. This allows them to decide their membership. With Uconn, Cincy, USF, Houston, SMU, Mem., UCF, Navy, ECU they have nine schools as well. They can ditch Tulane and form a scheduling alliance with the MW. One of two cross-over games a year, and the conference champions play one another. This will give the winner of that game a computer boost, and make for more compelling fan interest than the alternative. It also allows for two non-conference games.

Hopefully, if the NNNBE schools do this, they are no longer part of the Big East, and have the ability to ditch their deal with ESPN. NBC will have the option of picking them up, and televising the games. Since NBC only has ND on saturdays for national TV, this will allow them to content for the rest of the day, which is a loss, because they do not have football. This will give all the schools more exposure, and keep them off the ESPN backburner. Everyone has an opportunity to win, and keep playing more relevant opponents. This only helps schools like Uconn position themselves for the future.

Reaction Score
I was wondering if there still is any chance that our current conference (whatever it's name is) would consider merging with the Mountain West or any other conference to somewhat strengthen the overall product? Although it would be a conglomerate of misfit toys, it would be better than our current situation.

Great idea, unfortunately we lack the forward thinking leadership in this conference that could make this happen.

Reaction Score
I think that the group of five guaranteed access (albeit minimal) thing in the current system is probably in place almost entirely to assuage anti trust concerns and that if access could be completely denied to the have nots it would be. I kind of doubt the powers that be would want to a) reduce the non "big 5" conferences with a guaranteed chance at a bid from 5 (BE or whatever we are now, CUSA, MWC, Sun Belt and MAC) to 2 (us and MW) or b) add a second guaranteed berth to a non "big 5" team for the winner of a MWC vs Us championship and have one that includes the sun belt and MAC.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I too like this idea therefore it will never happen. Think about the fun of pitting the Rocky Mountains against the Appalachian Mountains in classic Mountain West vs. Mountain East matchups!

Reaction Score
I too like this idea therefore it will never happen. Think about the fun of pitting the Rocky Mountains against the Appalachian Mountains in classic Mountain West vs. Mountain East matchups!
Would we be in the Honey Boo Boo Division?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The MWC is winning. Why would they want a merger with the Big East?

Reaction Score
Boise would want a guaranteed spot in the championship game no matter what their record was and $2 mill extra, win or lose, well....just because they are Boise.

Sure why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104