Antun Maricevic (JUCO) | The Boneyard

Antun Maricevic (JUCO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Antun Maricevic, a Croatian sensation, drawing hoops scouts to Longmont Christian – The Denver Post

Maricevic is a 6-foot-9 next-gen Dirk Nowitzki who can shoot the 3-pointer and handle the ball like a guard, or at least hopes to. On a whim he moved to Longmont because it reminded him of home, a village named Srednji Lipovac with a population of 302, near the Pozega road on the way to the Bosnia and Herzegovina border.

Now he is averaging 33.8 points and 18.4 rebounds per game, dominating small-school opponents. Every once in a while, some kid will shred the lower classes in Colorado. But usually he is the most athletic kid in the classification, often a football player staying in shape during the winter.

But Maricevic may be hoops legit. He is ripped, already strong enough to handle a college-level low post, and he has hands like Olajuwon. College scouts suddenly are flocking to Longmont Christian games.

“They’re starting to catch on. Every day, there’s more and more,” said Longmont Christian coach Myron Huey. “I feel like I have to protect him as much as possible.”

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
So he would have two years eligibility right?

Reaction Score
“He’s a stretch 4. He’s better facing the basket,” Huey said, tabbing his star as a mobile power forward. “We’re running him in a position that will do him the most good later on. We could stand him under the basket all the time and throw him the ball. But this is better for him.”

Maricevic’s path to Colorado was unusual. He didn’t like his opportunity playing for IJT Cibona Zagreb, the Croatian club he joined when he was 14. He was living in a dorm, playing in a basketball factory, but the players ahead of him were more accomplished.

So Maricevic moved last summer to Hartford, Conn., to play for a club team. He played there for a month. But he wanted a high school that reminded him of his home in Srednji Lipovac. So he whittled his options to Colorado and Pennsylvania. He chose Longmont Christian because it’s near Denver, but not in Denver, and it’s a Christian school.

Anyone plugging in on the CT club scene know anything?

Reaction Score
Highlights dont seem to fit the description. Looks to me like he is playing back to the basket, with a good physical drop atep and jump hook.

Is there any video of him taking shots--actually playing stretch at all?

Reaction Score
Any kid with a wichita st. offer in my opinion has potential, Greg Marshall is the best in the country at finding diamonds in the rough

Reaction Score
He should get out more into the woods of CT. My wife was born in Poland and she feels her family was happy living in the New England area because a lot of farm land areas and woods actually don't look all that different from the same scenes over there. I'd imagine his home areas resemble Poland in general, so they need to get him to Storrs. Storrs and the surrounding farmland is a lot more European than Hartford

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
“He’s a stretch 4. He’s better facing the basket,” Huey said, tabbing his star as a mobile power forward. “We’re running him in a position that will do him the most good later on. We could stand him under the basket all the time and throw him the ball. But this is better for him.”

Maricevic’s path to Colorado was unusual. He didn’t like his opportunity playing for IJT Cibona Zagreb, the Croatian club he joined when he was 14. He was living in a dorm, playing in a basketball factory, but the players ahead of him were more accomplished.

So Maricevic moved last summer to Hartford, Conn., to play for a club team. He played there for a month. But he wanted a high school that reminded him of his home in Srednji Lipovac. So he whittled his options to Colorado and Pennsylvania. He chose Longmont Christian because it’s near Denver, but not in Denver, and it’s a Christian school.

Anyone plugging in on the CT club scene know anything?
If he played for a club team then he's ineligible?

Reaction Score
He should get out more into the woods of CT. My wife was born in Poland and she feels her family was happy living in the New England area because a lot of farm land areas and woods actually don't look all that different from the same scenes over there. I'd imagine his home areas resemble Poland in general, so they need to get him to Storrs. Storrs and the surrounding farmland is a lot more European than Hartford

He comes from mountain country, quite unlike Poland. Not sure about how Pennsylvania fits into it, but Colorado fits the bill. Kansas would be the exact opposite.

Reaction Score
He comes from mountain country, quite unlike Poland. Not sure about how Pennsylvania fits into it, but Colorado fits the bill. Kansas would be the exact opposite.
Well hey, those hills on 195 are no joke, we can pretend those are mountains...

Reaction Score
anybody else listen to the "longmont potion castle" series of prank calls? first thing i thought of when i saw where he was from...

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Maricevic is a 6-foot-9 next-gen Dirk Nowitzki who can shoot the 3-pointer and handle the ball like a guard, or at least hopes to.

I too can shoot the 3-pointer and handle the ball like a guard, or at least hope to.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
I too can shoot the 3-pointer and handle the ball like a guard, or at least hope to.

I've been hoping for about three decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom