Anthony: Something Needs To Change On Travel Front | The Boneyard

Anthony: Something Needs To Change On Travel Front

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Mike Anthony: UConn remains oh-for-the-road with troubling performance in loss at Temple - Hartford Courant

Either way, something has to change on the travel front. Something has to change with what UConn brings to games outside of Hartford and Storrs. The Huskies are 0-5 on the road, dragged and tortured through trips to Tampa, Cincinnati, Tulsa, Orlando and now Philadelphia, which they left looking like they got between Rocky Balboa and Apollo Creed.

I personally think this argument is a load of crap given that we didn’t play a road game until January but there it is.

pj

Reaction Score
Without Alterique or Jalen, this is a very talent-poor team. The Cincinnati game suggested they were close to a breakthrough on the road. The Temple game tells us nothing about road performance, only that they don't have enough talent.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
The travel sucks, but they are also a bad team. Bad teams are not good on the road.
This. Plus the reality is we've played 5 games on the road all season and 3 of the 5 were during Christmas break and the most recent game was close enough for them to take a bus. When you're missing your best players and aren't a good team to begin with you're probably losing on the road, especially to a team that is in the NCAA Tournament conversation

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
There are 4 players on this team that would play for a championship UConn team, 2 of them didn't play, these dudes are horrible, doesn't have to do with the travel.

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
There are 4 players on this team that would play for a championship UConn team, 2 of them didn't play, these dudes are horrible, doesn't have to do with the travel.

Gotta get through this season in one piece and look forward

Reaction Score
Jalen, Alterique....who are the other 2?

Reaction Score

Oooo, yeah, ummm I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there. I'd like to see a list of the college teams accumulate the most miles in the country alongside their record in those games.

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony: UConn remains oh-for-the-road with troubling performance in loss at Temple - Hartford Courant

Either way, something has to change on the travel front. Something has to change with what UConn brings to games outside of Hartford and Storrs. The Huskies are 0-5 on the road, dragged and tortured through trips to Tampa, Cincinnati, Tulsa, Orlando and now Philadelphia, which they left looking like they got between Rocky Balboa and Apollo Creed.

I personally think this argument is a load of crap given that we didn’t play a road game until January but there it is.

In the Big East, we had road games in Miami, Tampa, Milwaukee, Chicago, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, South Bend, Louisville,... This is such a crock. The team is not good and it shows on the road.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
do you really think the point he was making was as to location? I think he was pointing out what many know and some above said - this team is not a good team and plays worse on the road. This is not the same UConn that would walk in to BE gyms and get the home crowds to STFU

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Carlton would have been eaten alive in a game like that.

Adams would have a role as a bench scorer, but I don't think anyone else plays on any of our top teams in program history.

Alterique (sans shoulder) is similar to freshman Kemba. He would play some.

CV could play a backup 3 and D guy. Provided he reeled in his shot selection, which, on a great team, I think he would.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Alterique (sans shoulder) is similar to freshman Kemba. He would play some.

I don't know. One thing when comparing this crop of players vs a 95, 99, 04, 06, 09, 11, 14 team is that the guys on the floor (our team plus the opposition) were so much better than what we have to currently compare them to.

While Gilbert looks good compared to Adams, Vital, Polley, etc. and against AAC competition, Walker by comparison was on the court with Price, Dyson, and prime Big East teams.

I guess this is really just quite hypothetical and impossible to really know, but my gut tells me these guys wouldn't get much burn at all.

Reaction Score
In the Big East, we had road games in Miami, Tampa, Milwaukee, Chicago, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, South Bend, Louisville,... This is such a crock. The team is not good and it shows on the road.
All true. This team stinks and would stink in the old Big East and today's Big East. However, we also had away games in Providence, NY City, Jersey, Phily, Syracuse so we did have reasonable travel for away games. AAC blows chow.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
First, in defense of Anthony, this article is more about this team's struggles on the road rather than complaining about travel distance in the conference. Some of you need to read the article before jumping to conclusions.

But since it's still brought up elsewhere-
God the travel narrative is pretty duck annoying.
The issue is that we are a mediocre team traveling to play a fellow mediocre team in a mediocre arena in Tulsa.
If we were in the ACC traveling to Florida, North Carolina, West Virginia, Georgia, Pittsburgh (twice as far as Philly) no one would be complaining.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
First, in defense of Anthony, this article is more about this team's struggles on the road rather than complaining about travel distance in the conference. Some of you need to read the article before jumping to conclusions.

God the travel narrative is pretty annoying.
The issue is that we are a mediocre team traveling to play a fellow mediocre team in a mediocre arena in Tulsa.
If we were in the ACC traveling to Florida, North Carolina, West Virginia, Georgia, Pittsburgh (twice as far as Philly) no one would be complaining.

yeah its just poorly worded. hell three of those trips were big east trips and orlando isn’t exactly difficult on a charter that is less than three hours.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score

God the travel narrative is pretty annoying.
This. Teams from all conferences travel quite a bit these days. The difference is, that we don't care about any of the schools were forced to travel to, so everybody likes to complain about it. Honestly, the AAC isn't a terrible conference in terms of talent. I mean it's not the ACC, but it isn't the America East either. Biggest problem is that as fans, we don't really care about the schools we are competing against.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't know. One thing when comparing this crop of players vs a 95, 99, 04, 06, 09, 11, 14 team is that the guys on the floor (our team plus the opposition) were so much better than what we have to currently compare them to.

While Gilbert looks good compared to Adams, Vital, Polley, etc. and against AAC competition, Walker by comparison was on the court with Price, Dyson, and prime Big East teams.

I guess this is really just quite hypothetical and impossible to really know, but my gut tells me these guys wouldn't get much burn at all.

It's actually easier to look good with better players. If you had Thabeet behind you to clean up, how much better would you look on D? Same thing applies to options on offense. And AJP running the show.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Unless we're planning on parking our basketball programs in Hockey East, travel is going to be an issue no matter what conference we play in. Enough excuses. We weren't beating Temple last night if the game was played at MSG, XL, Gampel or our old Field House.

C

Chief00

The travel sucks, but they are also a bad team. Bad teams are not good on the road.

Exactly, sounds like Anthony has been talking to Randy. We can’t win on the road because we aren’t a good team, especially down one or two of our top players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom