Anthony piece on Gilbert | The Boneyard

Anthony piece on Gilbert

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
You can’t help but feel great for the young man. I think I remember maybe one shot from last night that you’d probably want back, but other than that I thought he played his role just about as perfectly as you could ask. Distribute, don’t drive blindly into the lane, take the open shot when it’s there, and settle down the offense when we get out of control off transition. Great, great stuff from Al.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
AG is playing like a talented, veteran leader. Couldn't ask for more.
As I had hoped, he's getting "Talieked."

I was one who needed to learn to appreciate Taliek. I'm thankful for that lesson, because I knew to appreciate Alterique even when he was struggling.

Most importantly for this team, this lesson, experience and example is going to pay huge dividends. It's foundational for the re-establishment of the program.

Reaction Score
if this kid took 5 games to learn his role on the team and embrace it I think that his a huge testament to his character. There are several kids that take several months to finally understand and embrace their role on team. He is the unquestioned leader- has embraced defense more than ever and has taken enjoyment in setting up his teammates. And still showed last night he is capable of hitting some dagger threes when defense sleeps on him.

Reaction Score

I was one who needed to learn to appreciate Taliek. I'm thankful for that lesson, because I knew to appreciate Alterique even when he was struggling.

Most importantly for this team, this lesson, experience and example is going to pay huge dividends. It's foundational for the re-establishment of the program.

I never got frustrated with Taliek. Kid had the heart of a lion. Now that AG has eliminated driving into the trees, he has become a leader. So great to see from a talented kid who has been dealt a tough hand with all the injuries.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I never got frustrated with Taliek. Kid had the heart of a lion.
I did. I look back now and feel a bit foolish because I probably sounded a lot like a lot of the posters here who have been bashing Al. I'm sure I've repeated it here a few times over the years, but @Fishy lectured me about my impatience with Taliek by making an analogy about easing my "undercarriage" into a bath. Quite an indelible image.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Great article. Completely random but I noticed last night that Mike Anthony wears/wore headphones during the game. Was he listening on the radio or something? Would be weird if it was just music

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I think he's our best player, and I'm well aware of how he looked to start the season. But it sure seems like we'll go exactly as far as he takes us.
On a side note, are people basing the idea that he won't be here next year on anything in particular? Seems to be accepted wisdom that he's out, but do we know anything?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yep he was the perfect guy to work with him.

"Those bastards on the Boneyard were ruthless to me for three years. Ruthless. Then they loved me, sort of."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think he's our best player, and I'm well aware of how he looked to start the season. But it sure seems like we'll go exactly as far as he takes us.
On a side note, are people basing the idea that he won't be here next year on anything in particular? Seems to be accepted wisdom that he's out, but do we know anything?
Hey Inyatkin. Good to see you posting.

He was vaguely noncommittal when asked about it preseason. I think it was mostly because of the rough three years he had and a perception of a lack of durability. That plus, a rough start, led to the "he's gone" mentality. If he has a good year this year, the team does well and chemistry stays strong, I could see him staying another year. I guess we'll see.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You can’t help but feel great for the young man. I think I remember maybe one shot from last night that you’d probably want back, but other than that I thought he played his role just about as perfectly as you could ask. Distribute, don’t drive blindly into the lane, take the open shot when it’s there, and settle down the offense when we get out of control off transition. Great, great stuff from Al.
I was critical of his play (to be clear, not him personally. his play) early on. It was at a point I predicted an untested and gimpy Gaffney would be getting crunch time minutes before too long, because Gilbert was a know commodity.

Who knew the leopard could change his spots after three years of doing flashing the same behavior? That is exactly what Gilbert has done over the last three games. Fans cannot ask for any more than a double double and only one turnover, while playing more than adequate defense.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
TB was bashed incredibly by the board as well as folks in general
The late great sportswriter Randy Smith would sit in the BA Club in Manchester and pontificate that UConn and JC will never win another NC with TB at the PG position. He wrote it constantly in the JI that 2003-2004 season.
I was one of the few TB backers and I bet him $100 that TB would lead UConn to the NC.
And SOB, TB did just that!!!~
I used the $100 to but drinks for the room at the BA Club when I was able to corner Mr Smith in April 2004 while watching early season baseball
TB and KEA remain on my 5 favorite Huskies

Reaction Score
GREAT story and glad to hear he’s getting it.....what he needs to be great for this team. Last nights game is a perfect blueprint of what we need from him. Not the numbers per se, but the all around floor game, leadership and much better decision making. As others have said, we cannot succeed without him playing well. Hope this carries through.

And on top of it all, happy for the kid. He deserves some things to go his way after what he’s been through.

Reaction Score
I never got frustrated with Taliek. Kid had the heart of a lion. Now that AG has eliminated driving into the trees, he has become a leader. So great to see from a talented kid who has been dealt a tough hand with all the injuries.
I love Taliek but he was really frustrating, he almost singlehandedly lost the Duke game for us.

Alterique is more talented, hopefully with Taliek's help Alterique will grow more as the season progresses. Love how he played last night.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Who knew the leopard could change his spots after three years of doing flashing the same behavior? That is exactly what Gilbert has done over the last three games.
I disagree; there weren't enough games under his belt during those three seasons--as Anthony's article notes, it's a little more than one season's worth of games--to judge imo. If anything, I was encouraged by what we had seen early on before he was injured, but in any event his progress was anything but even because of the fact that he was injured more often than not in an incredible string of bad luck. But when so many quality people, including Calhoun himself and most recently Hurley, continued to have faith in him, I did, too.

Reaction Score
if this kid took 5 games to learn his role on the team and embrace it I think that his a huge testament to his character. There are several kids that take several months to finally understand and embrace their role on team. He is the unquestioned leader- has embraced defense more than ever and has taken enjoyment in setting up his teammates. And still showed last night he is capable of hitting some dagger threes when defense sleeps on him.
I also wonder if it took some time for him to get the play of Jalen Adams out of his head? Maybe AG felt that was the type of play that was expected of him as the leader...to do it all.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Ha, I'm the opposite. I loved Taliek from day 1. And have been hard on Alterique this year, all the while giving him a complete pass because of his injury past.

If he can play like he did yesterday, completely within himself, I'll be impressed and pleased.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom