Anthony: Behind the Scenes with Randy Edsall | The Boneyard

Anthony: Behind the Scenes with Randy Edsall

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Interesting bit in the beginning about a player who may become eligible for dismissal if grades don't come up. Sounds like a rough situation

Reaction Score
Interesting bit in the beginning about a player who may become eligible for dismissal if grades don't come up. Sounds like a rough situation

A player HE recruited no less. Hope I’m wrong but sounds like one of our QBs as he was a guy we heard a lot about this spring.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Great article.

Sounds like Crocker is counting on true freshman to plug holes. That’s a big roll of the dice.

“We’ve got a lot of [true freshmen] coming through the door to play, so it will be a matter of how quickly we can get them up to speed,”

Reaction Score

Unfortunately Randy nails a social ill on the head. Its possible quite a few "student athletes" in sports at high profile schools have undisciplined backgrounds and have a high opinion of themselves.......athletically at least. Randy brings them to ground zero and tries to prepare them for a life outside of sports. Some may get an attitude and don't want to listen.. I'm with Randy.......if it gets a point to where they think they deserve special considerations and they become a cancer in the program.

GONE!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The good news is he burned off all the calories by the mileage walking around making that thing. What can't keep all the ingredients in one place?
That's not how you get your 10,000.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Whoever the player or players are needed to get their acts together or they will end up like some others that played under HCRE.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is this satisfactory @whaler11

Edsall has been pretty good about being available in his return. Noted he makes an effort.

I loved that he crapped all over Diaco and Pasqualoni.

Next time someone wants to give me crap about pointing out this teams expectations should be 2-4 wins - just remember Edsall and Crocker agree.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Great article, but don’t tell me you’re maximizing every second when you’re making 15 runs to Dunkin’s for ice tea every week. That’s gotta be three wasted hours every week that could be used to push the program forward.

Put an ice tea machine in Burton...that’d be good for like one extra win every season.

Reaction Score
I think Pasqualoni was absolute poison to the program. I heard enough indirectly and observed enough as a fan to believe he allowed the culture to jump into the abyss. Ward did the right thing canning him mid-season. Diaco, to be kind, just was not ready and I don't think he had even the slightest clue how to recruit and build a roster. He recruited about 4,000 DE/TE types over his three classes and yet we're without DEs and our TEs are largely from position changes. I'm not sure a single one of his recruits will sniff the NFL and he could not have build a slower team.

Edsall can rebuild this. The question is how long it will take.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Edsall has been pretty good about being available in his return. Noted he makes an effort.

I loved that he crapped all over Diaco and Pasqualoni.

Next time someone wants to give me crap about pointing out this teams expectations should be 2-4 wins - just remember Edsall and Crocker agree.

Does anyone reasonable on here disagree with 2-4 wins? Like you said, everyone from AD David Benedict to Edsall have been pretty clear about that this spring without saying we're gonna lose a bunch of games explicitly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Does anyone reasonable on here disagree with 2-4 wins? Like you said, everyone from AD David Benedict to Edsall have been pretty clear about that this spring without saying we're gonna lose a bunch of games explicitly.

Seems when I say it a lot of people get upset.

You are also using a qualifier that eliminates more than half with ‘reasonable’.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think Pasqualoni was absolute poison to the program. I heard enough indirectly and observed enough as a fan to believe he allowed the culture to jump into the abyss. Ward did the right thing canning him mid-season. Diaco, to be kind, just was not ready and I don't think he had even the slightest clue how to recruit and build a roster. He recruited about 4,000 DE/TE types over his three classes and yet we're without DEs and our TEs are largely from position changes. I'm not sure a single one of his recruits will sniff the NFL and he could not have build a slower team.

Edsall can rebuild this. The question is how long it will take.

We've discussed this at the time.

PP and GDL were lazy and just playing it out on their terms.

Disco was an incompetent nut.

Neither regime respected the program enough to push expectations. They all thought UConn's lot in the FB world was make a crappy bowl game once in a while with whichever scouting service rejects decided to come here. They never went out and did the work to find the good players no one knew about.

Reaction Score
Good story. None of it means a thing. The only thing that counts is on the field.

Reaction Score
““I told you that when we recruited you. I'm not going to be two-faced or not hold you to the standards we've said we’d hold you to. I'm not going to cheat you. Then you’re home sitting on the street and then what? … Look at me when I'm talking. You've been allowed to get away with things and nobody has held you accountable like I'm going to. This is the best thing for you.”

To me this beautifully summarizes what college athletics is about and what makes a great coach.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There are nearly 100 kids in a program. You'll get all types. Nearly all of them will fall short of optimum maturity levels. It is the number one thing you can learn in college.

Randy gets this, always has. These four years are any students best and sometimes only chance to set themselves up for future success. It is also the number one thing I look for in a new grad hire. Do they look like they have there stuff together or will very shortly?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom