Ante up ... the Butch Jones case-study | The Boneyard

Ante up ... the Butch Jones case-study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2012...aws-name-from-consideration-for-colorado-job/

Go ahead and think small time ...

But, I think one component is right staring you in the Face. #BEGHARDER was never a winning strategy. Nope ... Tim Pernetti/Robert Mulcahy (at Rutgers) AND Tom Jurich (at Louisville) both accomplished what within the last 4 years? They spent over $100m to upgrade their Stadium & increase the seating capacity. Undeniably, RU did this at the cost of lots of other possible uses of that Capital ... with a Financing structure that needed armtwisting by the Governor/Legislature. It was highly risky.

Read that Cincinnati paper. Butch Jones says: IF ... I am going to stay ... you need to upgrade Nippert by $60 to 70m.

We sit around here & act like we are on an Island. "We need to wait til our market demand fills our current stadium." NOOOOO ... we had an enormous boom period in the Capital Markets. Both RU & Louisville jumped on the ready Capital. See ... some people understood what was coming in Realignment. They were ready. We sit here & blame our 8 month tenured AD & our 15 month President. We have been thinking small time for awhile. One of the reasons why ...

Reaction Score
Well, we are getting a new logo and I heard they are adding several new flavors at the dairy bar.

Reaction Score
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2012...aws-name-from-consideration-for-colorado-job/

Go ahead and think small time ...

But, I think one component is right staring you in the Face. #BEGHARDER was never a winning strategy. Nope ... Tim Pernetti/Robert Mulcahy (at Rutgers) AND Tom Jurich (at Louisville) both accomplished what within the last 4 years? They spent over $100m to upgrade their Stadium & increase the seating capacity. Undeniably, RU did this at the cost of lots of other possible uses of that Capital ... with a Financing structure that needed armtwisting by the Governor/Legislature. It was highly risky.

Read that Cincinnati paper. Butch Jones says: IF ... I am going to stay ... you need to upgrade Nippert by $60 to 70m.

We sit around here & act like we are on an Island. "We need to wait til our market demand fills our current stadium." NOOOOO ... we had an enormous boom period in the Capital Markets. Both RU & Louisville jumped on the ready Capital. See ... some people understood what was coming in Realignment. They were ready. We sit here & blame our 8 month tenured AD & our 15 month President. We have been thinking small time for awhile. One of the reasons why ...

As an alum of Cincy, I have no idea where the hell they're going to find the money to do this. Actually, worst off, they don't even have a working plan to upgrade Nippert - just a bunch of failed sketches.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
#BegHarder was a winning strategy until Louisville begged even harder. #BegHarder got our name written in pen according to Jurich.

That said, I do agree with the main point that we need to #BuildHarder so that we can make a stronger case the next time we are #BeggingHarder. Especially if we want to #BegHarder to Jim Delany.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

That's the thing.

You can have the cash, you can show a willingness to spend it, you can talk growth potential and market demographics...you can't defeat reality. Past is prologue.

It doesn't matter what you throw around, Cincinnati is never, ever beating the big boys in fights like this. For every Chris Pedersen and Mark Few, who make people stupidly think they can keep these guys in these small-time jobs (Cincinnati is small potatoes, no matter how much they win, sorry), there are waaaay more examples of guys climbing the ladder.

This is the reality.

Reaction Score
That's the thing.

You can have the cash, you can show a willingness to spend it, you can talk growth potential and market demographics...you can't defeat reality. Past is prologue.

It doesn't matter what you throw around, Cincinnati is never, ever beating the big boys in fights like this. For every Chris Pedersen and Mark Few, who make people stupidly think they can keep these guys in these small-time jobs (Cincinnati is small potatoes, no matter how much they win, sorry), there are waaaay more examples of guys climbing the ladder.

This is the reality.
I guess you can throw Uconn in that boat as well then... We're one Calhoun away from being UVM, Maine, Umass, or URI...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This isn't related, other than the fact that the song is Ante Up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom