Another year @ Storrs? | The Boneyard

Another year @ Storrs?

Reaction Score

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Not just for Paige but for any college athlete who is making 'considerable' bucks via NIL, you
would think that financial considerations would at least be considered in any contemplation of stay
another year or go pro. Regarding the WNBA we know what those salaries look like. As for making much more in
some leagues overseas...certainly to be considered...but does doing that help build your brand here? Playing
great...winning rings in China or Turkey...as have some of our forever Huskies have done...does that help you build a brand in the USA more than an extra year at a high profile program...getting on TV regularly and making money from NIL [as much or more in some cases than foreign salaries]?

Do MOST fans of women's hoops really care about games in far-off countries...are they aware of rings and such unless they are earned in college or the WNBA?

Reaction Score
Not just for Paige but for any college athlete who is making 'considerable' bucks via NIL, you
would think that financial considerations would at least be considered in any contemplation of stay
another year or go pro. Regarding the WNBA we know what those salaries look like. As for making much more in
some leagues overseas...certainly to be considered...but does doing that help build your brand here? Playing
great...winning rings in China or Turkey...as have some of our forever Huskies have done...does that help you build a brand in the USA more than an extra year at a high profile program...getting on TV regularly and making money from NIL [as much or more in some cases than foreign salaries]?

Do MOST fans of women's hoops really care about games in far-off countries...are they aware of rings and such unless they are earned in college or the WNBA?
The incentive to leave is you don't have to worry about being a student.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Amassing significant NIL earnings while in college may alleviate the need to go overseas to play during the WNBA offseason, which, if I were a pro hooper, I would consider, as it's not an easy life playing outside the US.

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to know if women's basketball players, if money were not an issue, would rather play in college or as pros- in terms of enjoyment.

It seems that women's' college teams have much larger public interest and press coverage then WNBA or foreign teams.

I remember Diane said that when she was playing in Russia, and making a ton of money, that her life consisted of playing basketball and drinking at her residence.

As a side note, my favorite image of her was leaving a basketball arena in Turkey and giving the crowd the double bird.

Reaction Score
Will be really, really interesting to see what happens with this recruiting class come 2024, specifically Bueckers and Van Lith, who will both be likely high WNBA draft picks, but also have massive social media followings, huge NIL deals and allegiances to their schools. Also, will there still be uncertainty in Europe which could affect their professional careers (where the money is really made).

I don't think it's likely they use that 5th year, but I don't think it's completely out of the picture like it would have been pre-NIL.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Will be really, really interesting to see what happens with this recruiting class come 2024, specifically Bueckers and Van Lith, who will both be likely high WNBA draft picks, but also have massive social media followings, huge NIL deals and allegiances to their schools. Also, will there still be uncertainty in Europe which could affect their professional careers (where the money is really made).

I don't think it's likely they use that 5th year, but I don't think it's completely out of the picture like it would have been pre-NIL.
Don’t forget about Caitlin Clark.

Reaction Score
Hardly a concern for Ms. Buckets who is a Dean's List student.
That's not the point. The student part of student-athlete is very time consuming. Why put up with that longer than you have to? Paige is gonna get paid whether she's playing college or pro ball, so once she has her degree in hand, there is little additional benefit to continue having to put up with the extra responsibility and time suck of the academic side of the house. Paige is also on the older side and has chosen a profession where the longevity of said career is limited by age, so why waste those valuable years in college if you don't have to? I think the chance she leaves after next season is low, but I also think the chance she stays for five years is also low.

Reaction Score
Don’t forget about Caitlin Clark.

Yeah, thought about including her too, she's getting the ESPN/national media boost.

Doesn't quite have the social media value that Paige and Hailey have though.

Reaction Score

Purely based on IG followers - Paige has 990k, Hailey 710k, and Caitlin 150k (which is still a ton, and more than most of the big men's players). But I see you're point. She's in that mix too, and also has a strong allegiance to her school.

Reaction Score
That's not the point. The student part of student-athlete is very time consuming. Why put up with that longer than you have to? Paige is gonna get paid whether she's playing college or pro ball, so once she has her degree in hand, there is little additional benefit to continue having to put up with the extra responsibility and time suck of the academic side of the house. Paige is also on the older side and has chosen a profession where the longevity of said career is limited by age, so why waste those valuable years in college if you don't have to? I think the chance she leaves after next season is low, but I also think the chance she stays for five years is also low.

To many, the idea of additional academic learning and intellectual (internships, for example) experiences, particularly those that could be devoted to her brand (communications, business, finance, networking, mostly more seminar and independent study formats than lecture halls....) could seem appealing. Particularly so if that person is making a significant NIL salary at the same time. And I would think she would be eligible for international competitions at the same time? It all depends on how one looks at education.... Enrichment isn't so bad...

Reaction Score
Depends on her goals. When I went to college, it was a steppingstone. Paige will be able to take whatever path she determines is in her own best interests.

Reaction Score
Hardly a concern for Ms. Buckets who is a Dean's List student.
She should stay, max out her eligibility, and get an MBA to oversee the money she is making.....

Reactions: PvP

JBK

Reaction Score
Depends on her goals. When I went to college, it was a steppingstone. Paige will be able to take whatever path she determines is in her own best interests.
I agree.
I bet the young lady from Oregon would have enjoyed another year - she got hurt in the WNBA and is really struggling

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom